Wrench Bending

foggymountainmuscle

I was at a Rural King store tonight, Christmas shopping actually, and I found a cheap set of wrenches so I figured I could try them out. Triple chromed couldn't be that hard right? :rolleyes Well I got thoroughly owned by them, even though I did get them to flex a bit. They were too ridgid for me to keep going. So anyway I kept struggling with which would be the better side to bend against. They are combinationg wrenches, and on the box end (the enclose circle end) I couldn't decide whether it was wiser to bend with it facing down or up. When it is up, I figured I'd have more to bite into and apply more pressure, but when it faces down, I also realised it would allow me to push it in on itself better. Any tips on general wrench bending technique would be appreachiated too.

What technique are you using? I'm not following your up or down description. Typically a wrench is wrapped and then braced on the thigh, bent to about 90º and then finished between the thighes or chest crushed.

Smaller wrenches can be done unbraced, I've done several. You do have to be careful, especially with the cheaper ones, because they tend to break after about a 45 degree bend (or even less). I usually put the wrench so that it's facing down (it almost has a bit of built in kink) and just crank on it. I've only done one wrench that didn't break, and it was a 6" crescent wrench. Good luck!