Spike Bending

EricMilfeld

I'm just curious as to how many of us bend spikes (big nails, bolts, or round stock in the range of 8-12" length).

I think it would be great if we could come up with some standards for this endeavor like the ones that define short unbraced bar bending strength levels. I wonder if a 3/8x10" grade 5 is doable (if these lengths are even commonly available).

Of course bending big spikes is more of a test of overall upperbody strength, with less of an emphasis on hand and wrist strength, than is unbraced short bar bending, but it would still be fun to have some standardized feats of accomplishment with which we could compete with eachother in a spirit of fun.

I've bent a couple 12" spiral spikes and I love it! The problem is finding these things, most of the spikes I've come across are too hard for me. I think having standards with spike bending would be great, it would shed some light on the bastard child of short bar bending!

I don't really bend spikes, I fold them :)

The only problem I can see with certing spikes is the huge variance, would be like certing on 60d's. CRS/HRS that has been tested is one thing, a la challenge bars, but we all know there is a huge variance in the same 3/8" x 12" or 10" whatever spikes. I'd say as much as a blue vs a red. I don't know how the same brand would compare, however. Like say a 10" x 3/8" griprite from Lowes in TX vs the same thing from a Lowes in Ohio. There are always the spikes from Fat Bastard, of course they feel less like steel and more like titanium....

i just tried for the first time to bend a 3/8 12inch spike. i only have it bent half way because i think my hands and forearms are fried ill have to wait till this friday to attempt again when i am fully recovered from previous bending,i look foward to trying to fold that baby the end of this week :D i do have a question about it i did not put a cushion on my knee doing so but it didnt hurt me at all but, should i? would this cause damage if i keep doing it this way with no cushion support?

(Eric)

I think it would be great if we could come up with some standards for this endeavor like the ones that define short unbraced bar bending strength levels. I wonder if a 3/8x10" grade 5 is doable (if these lengths are even commonly available).

Mcmaster carrys them

Edited by pexter

I know stock can vary alot with some of the cheapish stuff, but I think various lengths and diameters of monster grade 2s would be a good place to start. I'd have to say though that I think Big Steve is the king when it comes to this style of bending.

Pete, definitely use the padding. I use leather or ballistic nylon folded into squares, which I then strap to my shin just below my knee with a rubber band. I start the bend by pulling against the shin while balancing on one leg.

Pexter, thanks for the link.

Foggy, that's a good idea about the grade 2s. Perhaps something like 7/16 x 12" is bendable.

Has anyone attempted a bend with the Fat Bastard Barbell spikes? I've kinked the 10 incher, and have some 12 inchers on order. I'm pretty confident the longer variety will go.

Pete, definitely use the padding.  I use leather or ballistic nylon folded into squares, which I then strap to my shin just below my knee with a rubber band.  I start the bend by pulling against the shin while balancing on one leg.

Pexter, thanks for the link.

Foggy, that's a good idea about the grade 2s.  Perhaps something like 7/16 x 12" is bendable. 

Has anyone attempted a bend with the Fat Bastard Barbell spikes?  I've kinked the 10 incher, and have some 12 inchers on order.  I'm pretty confident the longer variety will go.

Thanks Eric i do that this friday when i do bending :)

I found some 3/8" X 12" spiral spikes from Home Dept that are the easiest spikes I've ever bent, and these suckers are galvanized. These things make a mess after they're bent too.

The bolts on McMaster look incredible. Who will be the first to bend a 1 1/4"x 10" grade 5? :whistel

They've got 12" long bolts too, but those only come in 3/4"

If you want to get really hardcore they sell 2" x 10" grade 8's, but they cost $60 per bolt!

If everybody wants to get just plain ludicris (as Mike Tyson would say) I will take a pic of the bolts we have on the rig, about 2" OD and about 2' long. Takes about 300,000 lbs to bend one. Go get it Pat! :)

I got some 3/8" x 10" grade 2's a short while ago. I seem to bend better after a back or leg workout, so I'm going to take one to the gym tomorrow (leg day) & see what I can do. I tried one cold here at home & got it to about 20-30 degrees. If enough people are interested, I might carry stuff like that & set up another whole cert process. Let me know-

I got some 3/8" x 10" grade 2's a short while ago. I seem to bend better after a back or leg workout, so I'm going to take one to the gym tomorrow (leg day) & see what I can do. I tried one cold here at home & got it to about 20-30 degrees. If enough people are interested, I might carry stuff like that & set up another whole cert process. Let me know-

I'm definitely interested!

I kinked a 8 inch 3/8 2 grade braced just to test it, was very fried from a week of some scarry lifting. I think fresh it should fall. Working on a new unbraced technique. I hope a lot of big steel falls with it soon. I think grade 2 3/8 by 10 is doable soon for a lot of guys.

I bent a 3/8x10" grd 2 bolt the other day that felt surprisingly easy. Upon inspecting the head it made sense. It was marked "307 A TF". I've found these bolts to be made of some of the softest steel around. The Fat Bastard spike of the same dimensions is a different ball game altogether. I came across some 3/8x10" galvanized spikes recently that are pretty darn tough. My best with this spike is a bend with one inch hacksawed away. I even had to brace the final crushdown to finish that one off.

Steve, the unbraced spike bending sounds a lot like like naked grizzly bear wrestling. :blink But if anyone is up to the task it would be the Magnificent McGranahan! By the way, Steve, do you get your best leverage pushing down on the spike braced on your thigh? Have you tried the technique of pulling up on the spike braced on your shin?

Have  you tried the technique of pulling up on the spike braced on your shin?

OUCH!!!!!!!! OUCH!!!!!!!!!! That sounds horribly painfull :D Metal on bone....

That's how I start my bends, gamidon. I used to not even cover the knee with anything but that was stupid and it hurt, so I don't do that anymore :)

With my mass it is ez for me to do it over a rolled towel on my knee then crush it home with hand viced on my knee. Legs are growing so the towel is a must. Finished off the grade 2 at 8 inches by 3/8 and did two more for fun. Eric is right the crush down after about 90 was a joke. The tops read byc. It's felt like about 600# to bend may be a little more, the start. I only use shin for 5/8 short bends and 3/4 bends.

I need to get over to the bolt store and see if I can pick up some 3/8x12" grade 5s. I bet those bad boys would be a serious challenge.

I found 3/8" HR stock from a steel yard for $.26/ft! I've started pulling the spike on my knee, I think this is the way to go for us smaller guys who don't have the mass to start the bend by pushing the spike over the quad. Had a great garage workout with Underdawg today, put away some spikes and my wrists are smoked!

I found 3/8" HR stock from a steel yard for $.26/ft! I've started pulling the spike on my knee, I think this is the way to go for us smaller guys who don't have the mass to start the bend by pushing the spike over the quad. Had a great garage workout with Underdawg today, put away some spikes and my wrists are smoked!

Very nice!

Now don't keep us in suspense. What did ya'll bend exactly?

Yeah to have a "red nail" of spike bending would be really cool.

Very nice!

Now don't keep us in suspense. What did ya'll bend exactly?

Jonathan bent a 3/8"x 13" spike, i bent a 14" piece. Tonight i damn nearly smashed some ribs finishing off a 4' length of the 5/8" stock, man that stuff feels like it made out of steel! Oh wait, it is steel. It's just way tougher than the other 5/8"x3' bar i bent, what an ego buster :angry:

I bent a 5/8" 31" bar the other day and it was fairly doable so of course I run off and think a 5/8" x 24" bar should go....doh! Oh well, it was out of the scrap pile anyway.

Jonathan bent a 3/8"x 13" spike, i bent a 14" piece. Tonight i damn nearly smashed some ribs finishing off a 4' length of the 5/8" stock, man that stuff feels like it made out of steel! Oh wait, it is steel. It's just way tougher than the other 5/8"x3' bar i bent, what an ego buster :angry:

I put a tape to the 4' length and discovered they sold me the wrong size stock, this stuff is 3/4"!!! No wonder is was so hard, at least I'm not as weak as I thought :)