Horseshoe Bending?

carusom1

Sorry if this has already been discussed at length. I looked everywhere ( I think)but could not find a pic or description of how to bend these freaking things. Any advice is appreciated. thanks

I looked at some length for a good resource for horseshoe bending--and was about as lucky as you were.

Diesel Crew has a video of Night of Strength II on their site Diesel

and there's some footage of Pat bending a shoe with authority.

Even Brookfield in "Mastery of Hand Strength" doesn't do a great job describing how to go about it, but I'll paraphrase as best I can:

Hold the shoe tightly with one hand, and then use the other hand to bend the other tine of the shoe. Squeeze hard, and then bend hard.

Try using your left hand as a vise, and gripping one tine of the shoe while bracing that hand against the upper part of your right thigh. Then grip the other tine of the shoe with the other hand, and try to bend it back (as in behind you, to your rear). Once you get it going (if you get it going), keep at it while the metal is warm--it makes a difference.

I've managed to bend 2. Got a pile of used ones from a local farrier/tack store in LA, and clipped all the nails off. However, I'm not consistent at all--I've not been able to bend any of the other ones in my stack.

Good luck!

I'm not great with the horseshoe technique either but have bent a couple. I brace the left hand on the thigh real hard and try to twist and push with the right hand.

Zach, can you bring some of the horseshoes this weekend?

Thank you. Very much appreciated. :D

I'm not great with the horseshoe technique either but have bent a couple.  I brace the left hand on the thigh real hard and try to twist and push with the right hand.

Zach, can you bring some of the horseshoes this weekend?

Sure--I'll bring whatever I have left. Probably 10 or so.

• 2 weeks later...

I live near Delaware Park Racetrack and have a quanity of shoes, Some bend like butter and some simply will not move, even when placed in a vise. It will take some time and luck to find a quanity and quality of shoe for consistant results. I saw Pats shoe at Ironsport Gym. They have it in their display case. The shoe is large and the metal is wide, but not as thick as some. I wrote to the manufacturer in hope of buying the same shoe. The model Pat bent is no longer in production.

Dave