All this gripper talk has got me confused.

Guest near the river

Guest near the river

A gripper loses strength everytime you close it, right? Or is it just the first 20 or 30 times? The only way to know the strength of your gripper is to have it PDA tested, right?

Maybe it would be better to just forget about grippers and just use a plate loaded grip machine like the Atlas.

Jason

Guest Russell Latterman

The grippers lose tension after they have been closed 20 or 30 times, but they don't continue to lose tension after that.  If they did, then anyone could be able to close the #3 and #4 by smashing it in a vice grip a bunch of times.  If you want to know the exact stregth, you should force close your gripper at least 30 times, then send it in to PDA to get tested.  

Ah not shut one yet I take it...?? It IS a grpping site and so we will talk about 'Grippers'.

One problem, high lighted by so much talk about lbs per square inch etc, is shown by the same kinda talk over which protein is best on traditional BB sites.

Typically the comments are made by those not training right, resting right and yet still obsessing over the minut'e.

If one thing comes from the testing its that we will get a right reading after 20-30 closures. If the numbers are lower than specified why is it that only 40ish have closed the number three.

You can bet that none or almost none of the CoC's worried about the numbers and just went for it...

Worth thinking about??

Yes, it is worth thinking about.  

When it comes right down to it, the numbers stamped on the end don't mean much.  Who's to say a BBM isn't stronger than your 3 and yet you get certified as a COC?

Shouldn't Richard Sorin be recognized as the all time king of crush due to the POUNDAGE he closed not some arbitrary inaccurate number on the handle?  I think so.

At this level, yes you need to be strong-handed regardless....no doubt about that.

Guest Russell Latterman

I have a suggestion.

Once everyone starts sending in their grippers to be tested, we could have a list of grippers and their owners on this site with the exact messurement of poundage.  Then there will be no confusion about wether or not say someones BBM is stronger than someones #3.  Does anyone else like this idea?

Hey Wannagrip, can we already send the grippers in to get tested?

Or there could be a BBM certification scheme an I'll crush there babies too!

Remember, no matter what, that many many of the Coc's are strong and shut the grippers without any awareness of any discrepency.

Richards efforts aren't just on grippers but a wide range of crushing an gripping movements and its for this that he is to be honoured. Im my humble etc

Guest InchDisciple

I say that due to Ironmind's grippers great variation that we disregard their certification . I think that PDA should start a new list using only grippers that they have tested . What do you all think ?

Guest near the river

Thank you. I now have a better understanding. Mob, I can close the 1 but not the 2. I agree with InchDisciple.

Jason

Of course...that's why he's a LEGEND. :)

However, he is the KING of Crush -- 621lbs.  No guess at numbers on handles...no talkin smack...done..did it...BOOOOOM!  :biggrin:

Steve, just thought of this one...if poundage and only "looks" count (like the COC #'s) why not just tell someone to build a "challenge" dumbbell SOMEWHERE between 2.3 to 2.8 inches for the handle...and somewhere between 170 to 230lbs.  After all, who cares what the actual weight is right?

You didn't do that of course.  You know exactly what the handle is and what the poundage is.  So, what's the diff? ;)

Hmm, I'd have to ask Randall. Given the amount of traffic that has been generated has anyone asked Mr Strossen to respond to any or all of the above technical info that PDA and others have generated.

I for one would be interested.

As an aside, and allowing for your point, is it possible to buy some of these other grippers here in the UK so I can smash them too...

Tom Black had a good suggestion and we could even add 50lbs to the levels as that is a lot when you get up here:

300, 350, 400, 450, & 500 pound levels.

For those of you who are not aware, I contacted Dr. Strossen as a courtesy after we introduced the Atlas and it became apparent we were going to delve into grippery in a serious way. Some significant people were copied on those communications.

It was becoming obvious that we were going to be addressing factors that were previously neglected. My concern was our actions and the results could be construed either as supportive or antagonistic. Our intent was that our work was to be supportive, complementary, and thorough. I realized that whether the grip community perceived us as supportive or antagonistic would depend on our own interaction. He had nothing to offer PDA per se. Our initiative, again, was strictly a courtesy. Regardless of his reaction, PDA was going to hold the course. All of this was clearly explained in our emails.

Dr. Strossen expressed his preference to remain at arms length for the sake of objectivity. He preferred we did not use his brand moniker. Ironically, this led to the SOS tag - the letters were actually chosen before they had a meaning attached!

John

I believe what PDA is doing is a good thing.  They are trying to offer grippers between the #2 and #3 to help aspiring Captains reach their goals.  I don't think they are trying to take over from Ironmind.  As far as testing goes, I like it.  I want to know how much force my #3 has.  My hat is off to John for providing what I think is a great service.

JD

Cool  - although I am surprised that a man - Randall who includes hints at technical data in his catalogues - wasn't fully up to speed re the gripper ratings.

As John knows I have an Atlas machine on order and so the rating etc of whatever I m able to do will be the same as the rest of ya.

Now the question is when will John/PDA produce spring grippers if ever. Or is the Atlas that leveler (I think it is)

• 6 years later...
Guest Bonzi
Yes, it is worth thinking about.  <p>When it comes right down to it, the numbers stamped on the end don't mean much.  Who's to say a BBM isn't stronger than your 3 and yet you get certified as a COC?<p>Shouldn't Richard Sorin be recognized as the all time king of crush due to the POUNDAGE he closed not some arbitrary inaccurate number on the handle?  I think so.<p>At this level, yes you need to be strong-handed regardless....no doubt about that.

has sorin gone head to head with any current day strong grip dudes on his test of grip?

Age ain't nothing but a number. is he around 50. if so he is just beginning to live. Let's see

what ya got.

Edited by Bonzi

Guest Bonzi
Of course...that's why he's a LEGEND. :)<p>However, he is the KING of Crush -- 621lbs.  No guess at numbers on handles...no talkin smack...done..did it...BOOOOOM!  :biggrin:

621 lbs at what lift or gripper?

Did Bonzi just go digging to try and resurrect the oldest post he could find? :dry

Nah, if he wanted to do that he'd just type in http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?showtopic=1

I suppose 4 is the first bumpable post! ;):laugh

Nice one Twig! :rock