Why Do You Bend?

matonski

For some reason, when I read about things like the #3 COC, the Inch, the Blob, etc, I just want to do those things too. I don't need a reason, they just sound cool and I want to do them. However, bending for some reason doesn't give me that feeling. It seems kind of too obscure to jump out and grab me. However, since I respect the opinions of so many of you who bend, I know I must be missing something. So, if you will, please tell me, why is it that you bend? What do you like about it? Thank you.

I started bending in an effort to be a well rounded gripster, after reading about the activity being contested at Rick Walker's first contest. I became hooked immediately after discovering the excitement of taking something like a nail that "should not bend" and miraculously transforming its shape with my bare hands. Then with the Challenge Bar certifications commencing soon afterwards, I found a ladder of achievement to climb. This kept me motivated and provided both short and long term goals for me to reach. Few other strength endeavors give me the sense of accomplishment that does fighting out a really tough bend to completion. And as an added bonus, you have something permanent to show for your efforts when you're finished.

Just try it.

Feel how the nails morph in your hands.

I too ignored bending for a long time, now I'm addicted.

What Eric said. I have always bent old terminator style but i now alternate hands too. It now works both wrists in two different directions. What more can you ask from a single grip "lift" ? :D

It is the most addictive thing I have ever been involved in. Even with my current wrist pain/injury.. I find it next to impossible to keep away from it...I am on a Christian Strongman team and I can tell you for a fact that bending is one of our top crowd pleasers, without a doubt for both young and old....Also it is something I was initially decent at, so that made it even more fun......I think we gravitate towards those things we are most gifted at, and I suck at grippers and blob... Also with FBBC there is an endless ladder to climb which helps to keep me motivated, plus having JOhn O'Brien in town to push doesnt hurt (John do you have to push the envelope so hard, Im an old man for petes sake) Anyhow my name is Brett Kerby and I am a bend-aholic, I need help..........really I do......

I started bending because I wanted to accomplish the same feats that were performed by men who I respect on this board. It allowed me to get stronger, and I also respected those men even more. I didn't do it with the intetion of getting more well rounded, although certainly is a nice by-product of bending!

What kept me coming back to bending and getting more obsessed with it was looking at a nail I just failed on and wondered "How can 350 pounds of me fail to bend this little piece of metal?" It didn't make sense, so I kept at it.

I want to be strong. Nothing toughens the tendons and muscles of the upper body than bending. Bending something that at first is not suppose to bend, but you do it. That is an all time high in self confidence big time. Bending will give someone mad respect quickly.

Since most people cannot bend something nor do they want to or in fact they might be to scared about the fact, that someone just bend a peice of metal, dam he must be strong, no way I can do that.

Bending teaches one how to generate energy threw ones whole body in order to release it into the metal to bend it.

Bending is like no other type of exercise, its in a class by itself.

Only bad thing is that once you start, you want to try to bend everything. If you do it to much, then it comes a little pricely, wallet wise. Unless you know the manager of a Lowes and get your nails free. hahah

I hated bending at first becasue I wasn't good at it, I wasn't good at it because I didn't bend. The inexperience and weakness that has taken a long time to correct.

BTW as stated above bending seems to be more impressive to the average spectator than closing a gripper.

The challenge of pitting flesh and blood against steel. In general I tend to think of steel as much stronger than flesh and bones yet when I bend the steel yields many times. I'm sure it's all physics but the fact that human flesh and bone can make tough steel yield is what continues to amaze me and keeps me coming back.

Reading all this definitely makes me want to bend! I can't wait until my shoulder heals...... Is Home Depot the best place to get steel to bend?

I got in on it for the wrist strength, well, for unbraced bending that is. I got into braced bending for the upper body strength involved. You can build some bruatlly strong wrist with sledge hammer work, but the resistance that metal gives is unique and the best way to train for bending, is to bend. I study the stunts of old time strongmen and nail bending is something I've been interested since I got into bending. Now if only I could find some 14 inch spikes...

Bending has also improved my grasphing power. If I grab ahold of something, I can bite into it with my crush and apply torque with my wrist, giving me more control than a strong crush alone would do.

I tried it the first time when I was cutting steel for guys here. Instantly addictive. When you feel a piece give that you've never done before, it's just so cool. It is much like the first time I flipped a car at a contest, or loaded the 5th stone. Just a huge rush. The best thing is, with bending, there's always a next step. I love bending for kids. The looks on their faces is the best. It's like you gave them a chunk of gold when you hand them a bent bolt.

I started bending after going to a Christian Strongman show and saw KerbJr break a wrench. It was probably the most impressive strength feet I had ever seen at the time, and I instantly wanted to try it. I went up after the show and broke a Pole Barn Nail and I was addicted. I will say that a bending workout is much more visually rewarding than any other kind of workout I've ever done. Usually you just put the weights or grippers or whatever back and leave the gym, but with nails, you have a pile of bent steel left over that is just plain COOL! I compete in strongman, perform with Christian strongman shows, and have done a few other strength competitions, but the thing that my kids think is the coolest is bending nails. There is just nothing like it!