Did My First Bends Today

Tylerm

Picked up some 3/16" square and round stock today and cut it into 6" pieces to start. I bent the round stock pretty quickly, then the square stock. Square stock was noticeably harder, bent it about a third of the way, had to reset and give it another go after a moment to get it.

Question on the stock, it was labled 'PLAT STL', what does this mean? zinc plated or something, maybe? is this comparable to hot rolled or what? I finally got some stock at the 3rd hardware store I went to, the first ones only had 1/4" round CRS...

Anyway, enjoyed the bending, felt nice and my brother didn't thing I actually did it by hand when he saw the bent pieces. My palms are a bit sore from the ends, I did wrap it in a thin, small dishrag. Wanted to go for a third one but as my hands were sore I did some wrist levering work and figured I would wait a few days.

Good job on the bends! "plat stl" would be zinc plated and from what I've seen it makes the bend a little bit harder than hrs. I remember someone saying it adds 30-40lbs or so to the stock. Not sure so all I can confirm is "a little bit."

-CHRIS

Picked up some 3/16" square and round stock today and cut it into 6" pieces to start. I bent the round stock pretty quickly, then the square stock. Square stock was noticeably harder, bent it about a third of the way, had to reset and give it another go after a moment to get it.

Question on the stock, it was labled 'PLAT STL', what does this mean? zinc plated or something, maybe? is this comparable to hot rolled or what? I finally got some stock at the 3rd hardware store I went to, the first ones only had 1/4" round CRS...

Anyway, enjoyed the bending, felt nice and my brother didn't thing I actually did it by hand when he saw the bent pieces. My palms are a bit sore from the ends, I did wrap it in a thin, small dishrag. Wanted to go for a third one but as my hands were sore I did some wrist levering work and figured I would wait a few days.

nice work, just remember pace yourself it gets addicting... i learned the hard way :whistel

nice work, just remember pace yourself it gets addicting... i learned the hard way  :whistel

Did some more bending today, did six 3/8" x 6" round stock, some plated, some not. Then did a 3/8" x 5.75" round stock and a 6" x 3/8" square stock. Felt way easier than the first time, I wanted to do more buy I stopped myself as I need to ease into it. I noticed no difference between the 6" and 5.75" one..