Reverse Curls

kelby

do reverse curls train the thumbs more than anything. i was doing some today just to try. and my thumb felt like it got a workout. i seen a picture of casey viator doing reverse curs with 135. man that is pretty stong. grip and arm strength.

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• king crusher

• toshindo

• Rick Browne

• tspinillo

Reverse curls really work the brachioradialis. That is fancy talk for the muscle that pops out on top of your forearm (inserts on the outside, or lateral, top and runs across to the inside, or medial side, of your forearm) when your hands are palm down.

When I would do them they would be uncomfortable if I had my thumb around the bar. What I did, and most people that I saw did, is use a thumbless grip. I would assume though that if you did use your thumbs, it could be a great workout.

Doing reverse curls with a thick bar always works my grip, but with a regular bar, I pretty much only feel it in my wrists and forearms. I have never used a thumbless grip because using my thumb with this exercise has always felt the more natural way for me to do them.

Reverse Curls are just like anything else. You will get stronger at them the more you train them. And yes, they mainly involve the brachioradials and the long head of the biceps.

A few years back I got on a Reverse-Curl kick after talking to my friend, Dennis Weis who writes for Muscle Mag. He had done 100 reps with 60 pounds and I wanted to beat that. I got pretty strong in that movement. I always used the thumbless grip. As I am writing this, I am looking back in my workout log.

On 3-22-01 I got 50 reps with 50 pounds.

2-8-02 I got 25 reps with 80 pounds.

3-16-02 I got 20 reps with 90 pounds.

After a while I lost interest and ended up going back to Hammer-curls.

Sixgun...

Edited by sixgun

I always do reverse curls with my thumb wrapped around, the bar. To avoid it feeling like a thumb excercise I find I have to make sure the bar is jammed as far into my hand it will go, and then I grip the bar very tightly... this I find takes the stress of my thumb. Of course I could just try doing it thumbless :)

i use a false grip (thumless) for reverse curls.

its a foreamr workout for the most part so by using no thumbs it pumps my forearms even more.

i can go damn heavy on these. but its not something i try to go crazy heavy on as that is not the point.

I feel the best exercise for the brachioradialis is barbell hammer curls. For me I would have to say that reverse curls work the extensor carpi radialis longus, which is the big one nest to the brachioradialis. When I do thumbless reverse curls I feel it works the extensores located closer to the wrist and really taxes your grip. I commenly like to do my reverse curls on an easy curl bar because it places my wrist in a more natural angle and spreads the load more evenly across my palm instead of all on the thumb. Don't think it's something sissy to use the easy curl bar on these, it certainly does not take the stress off the forearms and if you can do more weight in this fashion, just add more weight

Ive been doing reverse curls for the past few weeks consistenly and i really like them so far,theyre really bringing up my forearms. Started at 40 lbs for 8 reps now im at 2 sets of 10 w/ 55lbs .

I have come across nothing like thick dumbell reverse curls and thick dumbell reverse curls done superset style, 2 minute rest between the superset and do eight sets. This is with thumb as it is almost impossible to hold a thickbar without the thumb. The dumbells are 2 1/2". Start with light weight at first.

My forarms are completly shot and as far as grip I couldn't unscrew a toothpate tube.

Edited by Zevich

Barebell Hammer curls???? What do you have a barebell in each hand performing them? :blink

How about Zotman Curls for forarms?

I've been doing a rev. curl routine for a little over a month, and I can see a definite difference in my forearm size. My brachioradialis has gotten large, forming a little "pocket" on the inside of my forearm when you flex it (BTW, is there a technical name for that "pocket"?) despite my BF of about 21%. My wife says it's gross, which encourages me even more :happy

This is what my routine looks like on my forearm day:

Pinch grip work (cinder blocks, homemade picnh block, etc.)

Wrist Curls 55lbs Reps: 12, 10, 15

Rev. Wrist Curls 35lbs Reps: 12, 10, 15

- Superset, rest is time it takes to change the weights on the bar, plus about 5 seconds. Tempo: 211

Reverse Curl, 1 1/2 rep 35 lbs. Reps: 8, 6, 6, 4, 4, 15

- Basically here it is: do a reverse curl. As you lower, stop when your arms are parallel to the floor and hold for 3 seconds. Then come back up and squeeze your forearms and hold that for 3 seconds. Then take 3 seconds to lower the weight. That's one rep.

Hammer Curl P/S 15 lbs. Reps: 8, 6, 6, 4, 4, 15

- I kneel by my bench for this. Perform a hammer curl. At the top, pronate and hold for 3 seonds. Then supinate as far as you can, hold for 3 seconds. Take 3 seconds to lower the weight. This is superset with the above exercise.

I had a hard time opening a bag of chips after this workout. I needed my wife to help!

tishindo, it looks like your trying to increse size to me but i also noticed that you voted for stregth mainly. contradiction ehh. lol

and you cant do hammer curls with a barbell. he ment dumbell im sure.

what would be the point of a hammer curl with a long clumsy barbell?

how rediculous. ive never seen it done, in any gym ive ever been in.

a hammer curl is with your palms torwards your sides, so you would accomplish this how?

this is a hammer curl.

http://images.google.com/imgres?imgurl=htt...6lr%3D%26sa%3DG

tishindo, it looks like your trying to increse size to me but i also noticed that you voted for stregth mainly. contradiction ehh. lol

and you cant do hammer curls with a barbell. he ment dumbell im sure.

Hehehe, yeah, true. But I voted for strength mainly not only! I figure after I have some nice mass, I'll concentrate on forearm strength. And my forearms are about the only things that look good on me :laugh

what would be the point of a hammer curl with a long clumsy barbell?

how rediculous. ive never seen it done, in any gym ive ever been in.

a hammer curl is with your palms torwards your sides, so you would accomplish this how?

You know what else you don't see in most gyms? Productive training. The long barbell, is well, long. Your wrist has to fight against the bad leverage, and do not think that because the bell is evenly loaded that it negates this problem, it does not. Tricep bars and curling bars are commonly used, but if you got some strong arms and a high platform with space, you can use a 7 foot bar. This exercise came from the book Dinosaur Training.

Now here's a better question, why do hammer curls on a short, easily managed dumbell when you could be building tremendous wrist, grip, and arm power by doing hammer curls on barbells and kettlebells? ;)

first off. what that john b guy is doing is NOT a hammer curl.

2nd. i would not take advice from that man. i dont even know him but his "physic" is, how shall i say,nothing to be proud of.

When I do the hammer curls P/S, I use a hook grip right above the hex head and have my ring and pinky fingers wrapped around the head itself.

King Crusher, there are quite a few heavy set guys on this board who I would take their advice very seriously. I do not think it is fair to count out a man's physique who does not profess to teach you how bodybuild (unlike a certain Milo article that was discussed here months ago. :laugh ) John Brookfield does have a great deal many exercises that prove productive and many are so principle to grip training (like strap holds) that you already do them without knowing they came from him. Despite his physique he does not give the impression that he is out of shape base on some of his other feats and training. I'm not being a fan boy on this, quite frankly I don't remember the last timed I inacted one of his grip tips of the month, but I am brining light to some critictism that does not hold water.

Toshindo, I am confused, why do you do your hammer curls this way? Comfort? Strength?

Edited by foggymountainmuscle

2nd. i would not take advice from that man. i dont even know him but his "physic" is, how shall i say,nothing to be proud of.

Well Brookfield has said that he does not pay enough attention to his diet to achieve a good body. And while his "physique" may not be anything to be proud of, his accomplishments sure are!

KC,

I did not say it was a hammer curl. He had some examples, one could take it a step further.

Sometimes one gets bored with curling a big dumbbell and may want a change.

What does his "physic" have to do with his lower arm strength?

T!

Edited by tspinillo