Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Guest Reverend

Barrel lifting

21 posts in this topic

I'd be interested to see what any of you thought of "Dinosaur Training" by Brooks Kubik or "Rock Iron Steel" by Steve Justa.  I've got Kubik's book and thought he had some good ideas about grip training, although he may be disappointed that I probably won't be going into powerlifting.  

I've got Justa's book coming and I understand he has a barrel lifting course in it.  I've heard barrel lifting is a good hand and wrist strength exercise so I thought I'd give it a try.

i don't know how they compare to barrels, but i do know that sandbags are great for hand and wrist strength.  i used them a lot this past summer and i noticed a lot of improvement in my other grip training.  i just wish i had somewhere to put them in my dorm room  :)

I have a barrel filled with water that i lift,the constant

movement of the contents really brings the hands and

forearms into play,from getting it from the floor to locking

out you have to fight to keep it in your grasp.

I have "Rock Iron Steel" and have enjoyed it.  The barrel course(s) are interesting, though I have never done the entire workout (too many reps for me).  I did buy a 55 gallon drum after I read the book, and it has been fun to use.  Woody, I also use water in mine.  When you shoulder it the thing almost feels alive from all the sloshing.  However, I think that my coordination and endurance give out before my grip.  This is due to lack of the former, not excess of the latter.

Justa mentions grip and wrist strength indirectly a lot throughout the book.  Its primary focus is odd lifting, which always takes a certain amount of grip strength to accomplish. If you read Wannagrip's thoughts on grip training, they will sound a lot like what Justa recommends.  He talked about training every day using singles, and in the chapter on "the shovel lift" he said that was the only lift he did for a period of time (training it every day).  He compares working hard and training a lot, just like Wannagrip said he wanted to simulate manual labor style hand work with light daily gripwork.

I haven't read Kubik's book, but a lot of garage gym guys seem to like it.  It's hard to look through that IronMind catalog and not see a lot of books you want, isn't it?

That is on the top of my wish list now i have ordered 'super squats'.  I read a load of stuff on his site and the guy really does make sense and has the sort of attitude about training that gets me motivated.

Still....it is my birthday soon. ;)

If you can't find Dinosaur Training at Ironmind, check with Bill Hinbern, I know he's got it.  It's twenty bucks from him, though, and I think fifteen from Ironmind.  I got exceptionally fast service from Mr. Hinbern, incidentally.  His site is www.superstrengthbooks.com.

I saw Steve Justa a few weeks ago and he told me he was back on his barrel lifting kick and trying all sorts of new things with heavy barrel lifting.  He does have some pretty strong hands and when he competed in our competition last summer he gave the Inch DB a try and had it off the floor a few inches.  If Steve decided to specialize more with grip exercises I think he could do some impressive feats.

I use full kegs of beer for my training, I drive a beer truck, but I got the # 2 gripper the other day and did a set of 5 on the first try, this is tha only gripper I have I tried my buddies # 1 and it was easy so I ordered the # 2.  The good thing about keg liifting is the disposal of all the beer after ;^)

I've also tried this when a powerlifter friend and her husband (also a powerlifter) was coming to see me to train for last years WSW comp.

He could not press the barrel with water overhead, he said it was almost imposible.

I tried it and did press it and the problem was not the weight it was grip / wrist strength that made the difference. It is a fantastic grip / wrist exercise.

Ahh, A post about something I can get into-LIFTING BARRELS!!  I currently have 2 kegs-one full of water that I can easily clean and press overhead for 5 reps.  The other I filled with nuts and bolts and pieces of chain.  It isnt quite filled but IT IS A HEAVY S.O.B.!!  I havent treid to press it yet-I have cleaned it and it is atleast 220 pounds or more.  The stuff slides around inside also so it makes it extremely hard-will try to press it Friday.

I have Kubik's book and it is my bible.  I have read and re-read it already and i plan on buying a few more to give as gifts.

Getting Justas book ASAP.

Rick Walker :hehe

I have read Super Squats, Dinosaur Training, and just got done with Rock, Iron, Steel.  They are all worth the $20 that they cost, especially since you are supporting another lifter, not Joe Weider.

The main problem I found with Super Squats and Dinosaur Training though was that they repeated what they said numerous times.  I did find the chapters with the routines and exercises very interesting.  The other chapters are a lot of motivation.

Rock, Iron, Steel is good, but Justa doesn't write that well.  No offense to him at all though, he has some very good info in there.  I really like the shovel lift and the running with weight lifts.

I would invest in all three books if you can.  Well worth the money.  Especially to have as reference and pictures.

I've heard this shovel lift twice now,i have a rough idea,

but can someone explain it for me.

Thanks.

Woody

Anyone seen Kubik's videos?One of them has him training odd objects like sandbags and barrels which was pretty cool.I have his dumbell training video where he does one arm clean and jerk with a thick handled dumbell.Interesting stuff.

hey Woody,

first you load some plates onto one end of a bar/pipe, roughly 5feet.

"grab the pipe close to the top, tipping the pipe to waist-high and grabbing the pipe with your other hand about two feet above the plates, and lifting the whole load off the ground like you would lift a shovel full of dirt. Lift it waist-high and make it parallel with the ground."

"Then to make things even harder, swing the weight from out in front of your body, then behind your body and then all the way back to the front again. We'll call this one rep. And if you really want to make things tough, when you get back to the front, pull the weight up high overhead, then down and level it out, then swing it back around behind you again."

"....like scooping up a shovel of snow and swinging the shovel head behind your body, then back to the front of your body, then up and over your head with the snow landing behind you. This puts tremendous strain on all kinds of muscles from head to toe."  

in his book is a picture of him doing a shovel lift with 210lbs :0

all the best

mannek

Mannek,

You're a Gentleman Sir,thankyou!

Although i think i'll start out a little lighter than 210   :0

Thanks again

Woody.

:phone Barrel lifting is the quintesential component of the Donkey Kong workout. Perfect for developing Ape-like strength.

I have Kubik's book and it is my bible. I have read and re-read it already and i plan on buying a few more to give as gifts.

Rick, you sould be a salesman!I just ordered the book!

Good. Dinosaur training is one of the best training books I have ever read. And I have read it probably 3 times cover to cover. Great.

FYI

@ OK strongest man I pressed f/ground to overhead a nearly full keg 21 times in 1 min and just ran out of time. I did the full keg 18 times in 1 min in training. That is using a "alternate" grip on the keg, if you know what I mean. Lifting both hands on 1 side makes it more difficult to be sure. I have done around 10 like that. The hardest part is the dang clean.

I highly recommend barrels to anyone looking for applicable strength. When my keg C&P is high, I am strong overall.

The other I filled with nuts and bolts and pieces of chain.
That's hard-core. :rock

Barel lifting, sand bag lifting, and stone lifting are awsome. Spend some time with a 200lb sand bag, and the standard beer keg will seem like a kids toy after some time. You can't go wrong with any of them. Just lift heavy and lift hard. Once you start, you won't be able to stop.

As for Dinosaur Training, that book changed the way I looked at the gym and about strength in general. The dudes right in most of what he says.

As for Justa, I personaly believe that his workouts are for superhumans and his work out plans should be taken with a grain of salt. His lifts are solid, but change his regimes to something you can handle. He too speeks some serious truth, but alter your work outs to fit your own recovery time and schedule.

been looking over these old posts because I just found via the web a grip tool that is meant to mimic Barrel Lifting.  I  have emailed and called the company to find out about them but I am not 100% sure the company still exists.  
Has anyone ever hear of "Barrel Grippers" ?

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/health-solutions/barrel-grippers/

would the same thing work with two old style york 25lb plates?

Edited by richcottrell

On 1/31/2017 at 3:02 PM, richcottrell said:

been looking over these old posts because I just found via the web a grip tool that is meant to mimic Barrel Lifting.  I  have emailed and called the company to find out about them but I am not 100% sure the company still exists.  
Has anyone ever hear of "Barrel Grippers" ?

http://www.mikebrownsolutions.com/health-solutions/barrel-grippers/

would the same thing work with two old style york 25lb plates?

I would say so. You could do something very similar with a Reeves style deadlift. It's done on a barbell with 45 lb plates turned out. It also feels like a supper wide snatch grip deadlift.