Bending Advice.

twig

When I first got the Ironmind bag, I bent the White, Green and Yellow with no problems at all, and put a huge kink in a Blue. Since then, I have great difficulty with the Yellow, and cannot do ANYTHING to a blue!

If I cheat bend something to 90 degrees, I can crush it the rest of the way, so I'm guessing I need to strengthen my wrists. I know from Rolling Thunder experience I have strong wrists as far as hooking goes, so does anyone have any suggestions as to what I can do to :help my situation?

At the moment I'm just bending Yellows and doing isometrics with Blues, but I always find isometrics very demoralising, has anyone found them to be beneficial?

EDIT: I use a double overhand, folding style, I probably should have mentioned that! :blush:trout

Edited by twig

How often do you bend? You might be overdoing it.. Also try cutting down your yellows a little bit at a time and the Blue will fall soon. Mess around with different hand placements and wraps, try wrapping the nails extremly tight as this seems to increase leverage...1 other thing dont go for a PR every time out.... work on some volume with timber ties, it will "Grease the groove" and help you fine tune your tech....One last thing I thought of, it is normal for your strength to cycle up and down dont expect to be able to bend at or near you pr all the time, I go from hitting 6.5 FBBC's to struggling with reds on any given month.....Brett

Edited by kerbjr

I only bend once a week, so I doubt I'm overtraining. Although I do tend to go "all out" with every session.

I'm using the IM pads at the moment, but I don't seem to be able to wrap them very tight, so I do slip a fair bit. I was planning on getting some heavy duty leather from a friend that does medieval re-enactments, I think that will give me more grip on the nail.

What's the best method for cutting down nails? Am I going to have to fork out for a disc cutter, or will bolt cutters suffice? Also, what's the minimum length that's practicable for bending?

Bolt cutters are the quickest, easiest method. I usually use a hacksaw and then put the sharp edges to my grinder.