First Time Bending

bfox

New here. Long time strength athlete, KB competitor etc... DL around 400 at 190lb. Press 72lb KB for reps. Big hands.

Brett Jones suggested I buy 3/16 CRS stock to start. I went to Home Depot and was led to 3/16" "basic rod" . I made wraps from some thin leather, cut it 12" by 12" and folded it in thirds, based on something I read here regarding the IM wraps.

Cut a 6" length - very easy to bend to about an inch. Cut a 5" piece still pretty easy, but some effort to get started. Did another 5" just to be sure. Could have just kept going.

Was the 3/16 too conservative a guess by Brett, or, as I suspect, did i just get some really soft stuff that's not what Brett was taliking about? Or maybe I'm just must studlier then i thought. :help

Bill

For an experienced athlete with a fairly strong set of hands and wrists 3/16th will feel like a joke and you'll wonder what the fuss is about. I bent 1/4" x 6" HRS my first workout (w/o much effort and just a shop rag) and I'm no monster. Depending on your style that will be very easy. Get some timber ties and try those (they are right there at HD) and some 1/4" of different lengths. Get some 60d commons for a few workouts down the road.

Hey Bill, good to see you here!

3/16 is never going to be tough for a strong person. Try some 1/4" and nails

Bill,

It was a concervative suggestion - I also recommended you look into some 1/4" - you can never go wrong with spending some time on some weaker stock to toughen up your hands and prepare your hands/wrists for what is to come.

Enjoy the bending - also - local, small hardward stores are a better bet usually for a variety of nails and steel.

Brett

Brett

I figured I would finish off what I bought, which will give me about 10 more 5" pieces. My local place didn't have anything longer then 3 1/2 inches.

Will get some 1/4 inch and some nails, but like you say proceed w/ caution.

Bill

Also, one of the best thing about easy steel is the practice. You can try different techniques and wraps. It is hard to learn technique when the steel doesn't bend. Just like snatching the bar a few times before adding any weight...just to get the motion down.