Grand Bastard Challenge

John Beatty

Ok, guys-

Thought about it last night. How does Jan 2 sound (gives a recovery day after New Years eve)? Open to all "Huge Bastards" certified by Dec 20. I'll send you 2 - 5.5" x 5/16 FBBC round stock. No charge. You take your shot & see who can do it. Just as a push to each other. Whoever gets it gets a free T-shirt (as soon as I get the "certified bastard" T's done).

Grand idea!

I'm in.

I'm in , on the condition that the first knuckle of the index fingers are touching, the only legitimate way to bend a piece this short. Not trying to start a flame or debate, just need to put things in the proper perspective.

Otherwise, I'll just bend my 5.5" FBBC's in silence and darkness......

Pat, would you prefer that they just touch on the initial kink or the entire time?

ishred, he's talking about having your hands way out on the ends of the nail. Folding with the index fingers touching is still possible, but it is a lot harder which is why Pat does it that way. Big difference between "pistol-gripping" the end of the nail and having your index fingers touch.

While the gap between Pat and the rest of us *seems* to be closing in in terms of what we are all bending, bending the same stock with the hands way out on the ends compared to how he does it is a huge difference.

Terminator you should just bend with your hands on the end and destroy everyone if you can that way or stop trying to tell everyone to bend your style only.

I cant believe what i just read, you gotta be kidding me...........The rules are posted on FBBC's site......this is just a fun challenge the balance of world peace does not rest on this thing......Bend the steel fellas, good luck to all....Brett

Interesting way to increase the difficulty. Pinkies touching double under, indexes double over, top of hands reverse. Definately brings the wrists back to bending. Its everyone own decision, but to have certifications based on strict rules like this or padding limits would be kinda cool maybe as an optional thing. They could be called "strict bending" or something. I think this is called hijacking a post though, sorry.

A good buddy of mine bends pretty much like Pat, with nail deeper in hand, he does it this way because he is stronger with this style, not because it is harder. He also has huge hands, making touching the index knuckles pretty easy, I have recently started playing around with this "legitimate style" due to some tendon soreness, and believe I am going to stay with it as my bending power has dropped very little and it feels more comfortable to me. I was bending like Clay described pistol gripping the ends before with my best bend a 6.5 fbbc, I am getting reds easy with new style and think once I am pain free should at least match my personal best....Brett

I'm in , on the condition that the first knuckle of the index fingers are touching, the only legitimate way to bend a piece this short.  Not trying to start a flame or debate, just need to put things in the proper perspective.

Otherwise, I'll just bend my 5.5" FBBC's in silence and darkness......

The only legitimate way? Says you. If you're not trying to start a debate, why state as fact something that's quite debateable? It's the only legitimate way in your mind. That doesn't make it so.

Nobody on earth is able to bend the things you are--you're in a league of your own. The integrity of your strength feats is fully intact...So I don't understand why you still whine about this.

Proper perspective is indeed needed...but not by everyone else. Nobody's trying to steal your sunshine, or proclaim that they're better than you--Your reputation is safe.

Nobody on earth is able to bend the things you are

As far as i know the best certified bend by Pat is 6" FBBC. Which "doesn't put him "in a league of his own".

Nobody on earth is able to bend the things you are

As far as i know the best certified bend by Pat is 6" FBBC. Which "doesn't put him "in a league of his own".

yes...he is in his own league, and i'm sure most of the people (if not all) on the board would agree.

Clearly not "all" members ;)

Pat is probably the best gripboard bender at the time being but certainly not "in a league of his own", even if he can bend a 5" FFBC... Which we still have to see in video.

ishred, he's talking about having your hands way out on the ends of the nail.  Folding with the index fingers touching is still possible, but it is a lot harder which is why Pat does it that way.  Big difference between "pistol-gripping" the end of the nail and having your index fingers touch. 

While the gap between Pat and the rest of us *seems* to be closing in in terms of what we are all bending, bending the same stock with the hands way out on the ends compared to how he does it is a huge difference.

Humble words by a very strong man.

Pat, I think some others have touched on a good point. What do you think about bending with your hands way out on the ends and destroying some steel that the rest of us can't touch?

Pat, I think some others have touched on a good point.  What do you think about bending with your hands way out on the ends and destroying some steel that the rest of us can't touch?

I'm in no way attempting to answer for Pat, but I've noticed that with these very tough pieces of steel being bent lately, and especially the shorter ones, it's the last ninety degrees or so that is giving guys trouble. And of course regardless of how the hands are positioned on the initial kink, we all have to rely on chest crushing power primarily, to finish off the bend. Speaking for myself, I can bend to ninety degrees much tougher steel than I can finish off.

But if your hands are touching on the nail, the chances of you getting the nail to 90 degrees in the first place is reduced. And with bigger steel, it seems like the crush down isn't as bad as the kink, like those 5/16" G5's.

Any video of this "legit" style?

Brett

Also - is this the knuckle close to the wrist or the last knuckle close to the finger tip?

Depends on perspective.

So the MP (metacarpalphalangeal) joint or the DIP (distal interphalangeal) joint?

Edited by BJones

Brett,

When are you going to certify on the Red Nail?

I tried once back a couple of months ago and totally failed, I have been focused on the 6.5 Fbbc cert but due to recent injuries to wrist have put all certs on the back burner. I will make another run at it soon, it will require some work as the use of IM pads makes it tougher at least for me. Did I mention how much I love my leather wraps.....Brett

But if your hands are touching on the nail, the chances of you getting the nail to 90 degrees in the first place is reduced.  And with bigger steel, it seems like the crush down isn't as bad as the kink, like those 5/16" G5's.

You've made part of my point, Clay. If somone can bend with his knuckles touching, what others can only do with their hands on the end of the bar, he wouldn't necessarily be able to bend tougher steel than the others by using the "hands apart" technique. This applies particularly to short stocks, which are usually toughest on the crushdown (a 5.5" FBB, for example). Now of course this same bender would be able to get tougher steel to 90 degrees or so than could the others if he used the "hands apart" technique.