Grade 5s Are Tough!

wd8dky

I'm not in the same league as you guys, so I picked up a few 7" Grade 5 bolts from McMaster. Those are tough! I did bend the first one I tried, but it wasn't easy. There's always something to put you back in your place!

Have fun!

Paul

Good job, now on to 6 1/2".

Hey did you ever get some 60's? I just noticed your location and I'm near Chicago too. I've got 2 50 lb. boxes of them so I could obviously spare a few if you are still interested. Just PM me if you want some.

Paul, that's pretty impressive! How long have you been bending? I've never come across a 1/4x7" grade 5 in the local hardware stores. A grade 8 or 9 of the same dimensions could prove a good training tool for those closing in on the Red Nail.

Paul, that's pretty impressive!  How long have you been bending?  I've never come across a 1/4x7" grade 5 in the local hardware stores.  A grade 8 or 9 of the same dimensions could prove a good training tool for those closing in on the Red Nail.

Gaster: yep, I finally found some this weekend at Lowes. Thanks for the offer!

Eric: Thanks! I had to order them from McMaster-Carr. They arrived in two days, and were roughly $1 each.

I've been bending fairly seriously for about one year. It's more addicting than the grippers have been (I'm about 1/4" away from closing my #3).

I'm not going to move on to the 6-1/2-ers until I own the 7". When it goes down like a 6" twisted timber nail, then I'll move on. I don't want to injure myself and lose valuable time (I'm already 42).

i wold cheat kink the 6.5 to 90 degrees and work with them also the 7 will get alot easier i did that with them and worked down to 6"grade 5s in like a month maybe a little longer now i am working on 5.5 grade 5 and thinking of trying some 7 grade 8 soon

Steve

i wold cheat kink the 6.5 to 90 degrees and work with them also the 7 will get alot easier i did that with them and worked down to 6"grade 5s in like a month maybe a little longer now i am working on 5.5 grade 5 and thinking of trying some 7  grade 8 soon 

Steve

Are you saying pre-bend it into an L-shape (90 degrees) before I work it shut?

yea and as that gets easier dont cheat bend it as far and so on clay could describe it alot better i got the idea from one of his posts awhile back but it worked pretty slick gats you used to it a little at a time instead of trying to do the whole thing at once.