Rotator Cuff And Bending

toshindo

I injured my rotator cuff back in June. I went to physical therapy and everything was okay, until I aggravated it again by doing the Ab Wheel of all things! Right now my workout consists of strengthening my cuff, plus correcting some of my posture imbalances that may have led to my injury. I would love to start bending, but I wonder if it would make my shoulder issue worse. Does anyone know how long I should wait before attempting anything? Also, since I am just beginning, does starting with 1/4" HRS sound about right? I'm just under an inch away from closing the CoC #2. Thank you for your :help

To-Shin Do

I would leave the bending alone, and concentrate on getting your shoulder right again. Doing L-flys has helped my shoulder problem this year, along with leaving bending alone.

David

I would leave the bending alone, and concentrate on getting your shoulder right again. Doing L-flys has helped my shoulder problem this year, along with leaving bending alone.

David

I've been doing L-flys along with Cuban Presses, Lying external rotations and shoulder adductions. I've also been stretching my chest, apparently my humeri are internally rotated due to tight chest muscles/weak rotator cuff. Looks like I'll have to wait a couple months to bend then.

If you were to do any bending, I would do slim style bending using no shoulder, just pure wrist strength. You will (probably, no offense implied) have to start with some pretty small stuff using this style. Start with 3/16" HRS and bend it back and forth until it breaks. Won't really work your technique or style but will help the wrists/etc build the necessary strength and as your shoulder gets stronger you will be ready to start experimenting with your own style, overhand, underhand, etc....good luck on the rehab and take it easy.

I hurt my rotator cuff and neck bending almost a year ago and neither has completely healed because I am not smart enough to lock up my nails and wraps. I still think it would be okay to bend if you did not use the double overhand style. And if you are pushing on a nail that is bent past 90 degrees and you are crushing it down, be aware of the pressure that you are putting on that shoulder can reinjure it.

It seems that the pain is mostly in one area. Where the deltoid attaches to the humerus, travelling about an inch up from there. The pain has gotten better since my workouts began. I just need to be patient, I guess. I've been out of shape for so long, I'm itching to start working out hard. But, if I do that, I won't be working out at all, until I heal. Oh well, I'll do what I can!

To-Shin Do

• 2 weeks later...

Okay, my shoulder is healing pretty well. I'm still going to wait a bit before I start bending. But, Christmas is coming up and my wife is asking what I'd like. KTA and a #3 were some, but I'm also wondering what equipment would be good to get for a beginning bender. I was thinking of getting the IM pads. Are these a good choice? Would I need anything else? (Aside from steel to bend) Thanks everybody! :)

Toshindo, I'm sold on suede and similar type leathers for bending. It doesn't slip around nearly as much, and is much easier to wrap. And if you file down any sharp edges on your steel the leather will hold up for months. A hacksaw or bolt cutters are also a prerequisite.