Gary Brown & Tommy Helsep

John Beatty

Congrats, guys! A major landmark!

Congratulations, guys! Grade 8's are some serious steel!

good job fellas, next stop RED baaabeee....Brett

My eyes are set on a 5.5" G8. Reds just feel so weird, but I expect they are about the same in stergth.

Are they?

Gary, shortly after I first bent a Red nail I did a 5 1/2" grd 8. The grd 8 felt considerably easier on the initial kink, but in turn was considerably tougher on the crushdown. But being that the lengths are significantly different, one's personal strengths and weakness will factor heavily in determining which feels tougher, but as a general rule the two bends are in the same ballpark.

Bob/Gary

The extra length of the red gave me lots of trouble initially, takes some getting used to. I agree with Eric on the 5.5 grade 8, easier to kink than the red but crushdown is tougher.....I would suggest getting some 7 inch 5/16 bolts (grade2) and work on those to get used to length..

Thanks!

I have been messing around with 1/4 square stock at 7 inches. I might try some 5/16 from the hardware store too, since that seems a little easier than the reds.

Gary,

Last time I talked to you, you told me that you were bending a lot. But I had no idea at what level. This is great news. Keep it up, buddy.

Six...

Gary, shortly after I first bent a Red nail I did a 5 1/2" grd 8.  The grd 8 felt considerably easier on the initial kink, but in turn was considerably tougher on the crushdown.  But being that the lengths are significantly different, one's personal strengths and weakness will factor heavily in determining which feels tougher, but as a general rule the two bends are in the same ballpark.

That's about what I was figuring. Tougher to crush and easier to start. I can start a 5.5 8 now. I can crush a red at around 30deg.

Thanks for all the comments guys. I didn't realize a G8 was that big a deal now days, but maybe it still is.

When I hit bending hard and progressed I said that I wanted to do a Red by the end of the year................then the 8 about killed me. I broke through that wall finally.

Maybe the Red is still possible by year end. I wanted to back off a little to rest my shoulder. I also wanted to max out on bench to see where I am. Feeling pretty good in the pressing department.......and was wondering if bending is helping or holding it back.

BTW....I'm short armed too...........my belly button is closer to my wrist than elbow. So I'm feeling good about my progress.

Thanks for all the support!