• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• mobsterone

• The Mac

• David Horne

• Mikael Siversson

We will do as we see fit - pressure from outside bodies have no bearing on us at all.

Trick such as last minute changes are for other event organiziers and, to the best of my experience, are a thing of the past. Whether or not it's one handed or two handed is open. After all the European could follow our pattern as the first 'big' standardized (hopefully) comp of the year. Myself and Andy wish to incoperate, where we can and if it is within our means and subject to support, all that has gone before - learning from successes and failures - eg:

a) No 3 hours on one event - this might satisfy the pedant in us but is a drain on athletes energy levels

b) Rising bar only - like it or lump it.

c) food for athletes - esp energy/ass kick drinks.

d) standardized equipment.

e) and more... (later when I feel like it).

You'll notice that the theme of this thread was seeing if we could get together sufficient interested parties, not 'can you make suggestions on how we should do so'. As neither Oldguy not Mikeal will be competing I'll answer Jim:

Jim, I have been busy of late but will email Andy and if agreed post the list of events. With the comp date hopefully being around MAY OF NEXT YEAR everyone will have plenty of time to train up.

If OG or M wish to offer helpful and practicable advice (or anyone else), please PM me or Andy.

Nobody is trying to tell you what to do! just asking for a little info such as what are the events. You have given minimum info and yet have asked who is interested in competing. So far it is at the pipe dream stage.

What Andy and I need right now is to know that enough are interested in competing that it would be worth putting on such a competion. Otherwise all the discussion and information in the world means zilch. I will not waste time and or semantics with non-competitors asking for help only wheh it's needed.

For the rest of this thread I will only respond to inquiries from potential British Iron Grip competitors.

Steve

The choice of events is going to play a big part in whether I compete or not. Most of my training is geared towards arm wresting at the moment and I could do with figuring out how much training I'm going to have to do to whoop your ass again ;). The events will obviously play a big part. If you choose say:

Weaver stick

rolling thunder

grippers

thick bar deadlift etc

no v bar

....I'm screwed!! :whistel

I believe even you can work out that if I answer this week you'll have more than five months to work out if you can train for it or not.

Besides my v bar has come along quite a bit....

But if we only get a few people say they 'might' be interested all the banter and discussion in the world means nothing.

Steve,

I don't mean to play Devil's Advocate or anything, but for all we (potential competitors) know, you may have been training the events for weeks. That doesn't bother me per se, as 5 months is plenty IMO, but the sooner you can get the events out the happier everyone will be and the more "definites" you will get and then you can get on with the job of organising a venue, if you are still up for it.

Also, it was almost two weeks ago you had a "nearly finalized" list of events, so people will wonder what is going on.....

Edited by The Mac

steve,take your time picking the events,after all is't it the taking part that counts,whatever the events are i'll be giving them a try. i don't see why people have such a problem with knowing the events right now. i entered the british last year with no experience and not evening knowing what a v-bar or pich grip looked like. this sport is still very much in its infancy,so for all you moaner out there,don't you think we should just support steve and go by what ever he does,if its no good then we all have a option of running the show ourselves,but i doubt most people would like the stress of that.

So that's me, Jim, the Mac and Dean then? In which case we'll hold it in my toilet. Get over whether or not I have put the events up. Reread the point of many of my posts - Andy and I wish to know who's up for it - otherwise we may as well have a game of poker and I could give you 20 years notice.

I'll quote David Horne when I used to ask - train for all round grip all year round. I've already made it clear what I'm training for right now and that's next weekends Rolling Thunder event. Nothing else. If you read my training diary you'll see what I am doing. I am also doing a little gripper and nail bending - I'm waiting on my benders bag.

Also, it was almost two weeks ago you had a "nearly finalized" list of events, so people will wonder what is going on.....

I am waiting to see if anyones interested - how much more clear can I make it?

Steve, last time I went near your toliet was when I came around to try the millenium. Your turkish friend had just taken advantage of the facilities - not a pleasant experience :whacked

:laugh

.....this sport is still very much in its infancy,so for all you moaner out there,don't you think we should just support steve and go by what ever he does,

I am obviously not going to compete in the Iron Grip competition but I assume I am included in the "moaner" group. However, if you are 40+ years old, weigh 80k, train and compete drug free, it matters very much knowing the events many months beforehand.

Steve,

I know I'm in the non-competing group, but I think you should be able to get the lifts finalised sometime soon, and a date, maybe for the beginning of 2005. I know that Jim and the others are training hard on the armwrestling right now, and are putting together their diary for next year, and there are A/W events in May and June that they may be involved in. You may miss out on these competitors.

David

If one more not competing, adds nothing to the discussion, good for nothing moaner who isn't getting more names added to the list of would be competitors post one single reply then I won't have any more to do with either this thread or the British Championships in any way what-so-ever. :angry: It's up to you - start a new thread if need be

If Andy C ends up carrying on without me I wish him all the luck in the world - it's up to you guys - post if you're competing or want to compete, PM or email if you ain't (see below). I want numbers of competitors and (see below) 4 or possibly 6 isn't worth the effort.

To clarify - this isn't an events thread, not is it a 'how we can run it thread' it's 'lets see if anyone wants to compete. Of those that have posted who may be competing I have the following: Jim Wylie, Dean Bolt, The Mac and myself, possibles were Twig and ZPF (if we can do an a-team on his butt and get him on a bus). No one else who has posted has anything to add - no one. If you want to argue events etc email me at stevedoesn'tcareafigitsgoingstraightinthebinanyway@hotmail.com or PM me to talktothehand@gripboard.com :tongue

Mikeal, I'm 40, 115-kilos, I'm (3 years plus) drug free and if there's a competition I'm competing and I haven't started training for the competition yet.

Me....I'm just looking forward to (hopefully) enjoying a great day of grip competition.

Steve - I think no-one has said well done for taking on the role next year of organising the thing. For what its worth - Good on you.

I see lots of people on the board enjoy their competitions, watching or competing, and I want to have my fun here, so lets slow down on the wind-up.

Digz.

HaHaHa! :laugh

Man you've got your knickers in a twist.

Hey f*** it, maybe I'll compete now since I'm a non competitor moaner or whatever shit it was. Also you don't know what many of the other competitors are doing because they don't come on this site, and also I can't tell them any info! But I did ask them if they were going to compete in the grip contest next year, and of course they asked where , when, etc. None of which I could offer. Usually the contest is laid out first and then the competitors enrol, but I would 'guess' that a few will come from my gym.

David

Are you or aren't you? I don't think you will.

I have also posted on the 8000+ member www.muscletalk.co.uk site, have emailed over 100 potential athletes via my old gripper customer mailing list and more.

I also find it strange, with 5+ months to go, that you of all people are so 'whats the lifts' when I personally had asked you what lifts etc for ages in previous years and quoted your reply in this very post. Why is there no list of names from your gym?

So here's the deal. This isn't a list of events post, you probably aren't competing and I said what I said. No one PM'd me, no one else has said they are coming and still the comments. So I am out of the promoting of the event for 2005. If, next year - 2006, you can all stand to stick to the topic, decide to compete without knowing what the events are 5 months out and create other threads if you need to pass comment then I'll see what I can do.

Perhaps next time, when I state again and again I only want to see if we can actually put together an idea of whether or not it would be worth putting on a competition by seeing how many might be interested then you'll ALL try and stick with that.

Mobster, you need to change your attitude a bit I think if you want people to compete. For the LGC we have always approached selected (for their strength) individuals in a polite and respectful manner. It works, trust me.

Mobster, you need to change your attitude a bit I think if you want people to compete. For the LGC we have always approached selected (for their strength) individuals in a polite and respectful manner. It works, trust me.

Pot, Kettle, Black.