3/8" X 12" Spike Bending Video, 3 In A Row

MikeP

Crappy little video I threw together of me bending 3 3/8" x 12" spikes in a row. What do you think of the form? I am far from an expert on spike bending but have found that starting across the shin, pumping down on the end braced on the top of the thigh, then finishing off with a chest crush to be the most powerful for me. Any ideas? Sorry its so big, around 2.75mb and is kind of long.

http://www.gripboard.com/index.php?act=mod...cmd=si&img=1260

I am no expert, but that is almost the same way that I bend spikes. Instead of kneeling for the shin bend I stand on one leg...which results in me hoping around like an out of work ballerina if my balances gets off. I'll definitely try the kneel next time.

Thanks for the vid.

That's how I start my nails too, but then instead of posting the left hand to my left thigh, I reach all the way across my body (long trip that it is) and post my left hand on my right hip. Then I can crank straight down with the right arm and take care of it.

I was just thrilled to see a video showing how to bend the big stuff. It looked like you wrapped the ends but not the middle, so the part braced on your leg is unpadded??? Just want to make sure before I go home and do something stupid. Thanks for the great video

Looked cool Mike! I'm interested how "easy" those spikes were, because some difficult stuff could cause some serious pain around the knee/shin area if not padded. You've always gotta be careful with small surface area metal to skin contact points, especially when the forces get real high as I've been told it can cause blood clots which will make for a pretty crappy day (or a real short one).

That is the exact form I was using when I tore my pec.

Rick Walker :rock

Thanks for the replies, in the interest of full disclosure I had a hand towel rolled up and tucked in the top of my boot so it would stay across my shin. It would hurt FAR too much for me to do it totally unpadded. I should have mentioned that in the posting. Yes, the ends I wrapped in my nylon. I still have a pretty good bruise on my thigh today. The first time I bent a horseshoe I did so totally unpadded and it was not fun for about a week.

Very nice bends. You are doing fine. I would put a small pad there on your knee. Start doing some heavy abs with weight this will help a lot on the leg crush. Also just for a footnote something that has caught my eye on some peoples technique is when the thumb is to the side of the bend on the top hand the press down is weak. I have found that when you rotate the thumb over the top of the spike were the back of the hand is touching the belly or chest you have a better push down. The wrist is locked better so the force into the spike is not being lost. It is all going into the bend. Like Clay said straight down. I like to look at like this. The earth is the base, my hand is the vice on my leg and all my weight and strength can bend anything. Strong base and vice. Strong bending. I will go into this more on the next DVD with some 1/2 short bends. You are very strong and you have a great futrue in big bar bending.

Thanks Steve, that means alot coming from you. I see what you mean about wrapping the thumb, I will give that a shot next time. What length bars do you do most of your bending with, like 30"? I want to start doing some bar bends but don't know what size/length to start with.

You can start with 1/2 by 4 foot and bend it in your mouth then scroll it a few times. For short 1/2 bends you can do 24 inches then start cutting it down, each bar will be different so be ready. The great thing is when you go back to 3/8 spike it will be a snack and you will be at 10 spikes before you know it. Bend well my friend!