7" X 1/4" Bending Question?

MEB Boy

The IM yellow nail is 7" x 1/4" and is easily bent by my friend. We even got some 4 foot long rods of 1/4" stock from Lowes and cut it up into 7" sections. My friend bent them just as quickly as an IM yellow, even though he said it felt just a touch easier than an IM yellow.

Well, we just got some Fat Bastard Barbell stock and the 7" x 1/4" stock was very, very tough. My friend can also completely crush IM blues (6" x 1/4"), but he was only able to put about a 30 degree bend in the FBBC stock. That was it. He said this 7" x 1/4" FBBC stock was definately a lot harder than even an IM blue.

Is the FBBC stock a different material, is it plated with a stronger metal, or is it just very tough stock? Why does it differ so much as compared to comparable sized metals, as per above?

any info would help.

thanks,

MEB Boy

As an aside, I put my first kink in an IM 7" x 1/4" today. It was a little more than a kink, maybe about 5%. Of course, it was not the tough FBBC stock. :-)

John Beatty is a magnet for tough stock it seems.

I'm not sure exactly why the FBBC stock is tougher, it might just be the alloy or the way its manufactured but you are right it is a fair bit tougher than the IM stock

In my opinion thats a good thing because it is tougher than the IM stock but easier than the grade 5 bolts which makes it a good stepping stone to the graded bolts.

Just work on getting the IM stock down from 7" to 5.5" then the FBBC stock from 7" to 5.5" and you will probably be ready for the G5 (well I was anyway)

i got some 1/4" stock from home depot a couple of weeks ago that was freaking hardddddddd. I cut a 7" piece to warm up with and i couldn't kink it....

next day i managed to crush after a good warm up, but it was probably the hardest thing i ever bent...harder than any 60d i've tried.