How Does A 5/16 Bolt Compare To The Red

budjeffries

Hi everyone, .......this is my first post here. Been reading off and on a little. Got to chat a little with Clay and a couple others once. Really like the board. I've been bending a bit for the last couple of monthsMostly 60's, but did a grade 5 a couple of weeks ago. Last night did a piece of 1/4 square stock a friend sent me. I haven't had a chance to pick up some grade 5's and 8's, but I did run across a loww grade 8inch 5/16 bolt, so I tried it. I kinked it. I was wondering how this would compare to a red nail or how it would rate in strength/difficulty? How would it compare to other commonly bent steel?..........Thanks in advance, I'll be away from the computer for several hours, will post back when I can.........God Bless. Bud Jeffries

Bud, good to have you aboard, the 8 inch 5/16 is probably close to a grade 5 1/4 bolt x 6in, I have never messed with stock over 7in, However the 7 in 5/16 are a little harder than a grade 8 1/4 x 6in to get initial kink (easier to crush than grade 8), and 6 incher is just under a Red on the initial kink and then quite a bit easier on crush down. I saw on your site that you may be possibly doing a show down here in Kirksville MO, Is that a done deal or just a possibillity? Your brother in Christ............. Brett Kerby

Bud,

First of all welcome to the board. It is good to have someone of your experience on the scene. I have found that the 5/16" 8 inch grade 2 bolt is pretty stiff for the initial kink - maybe between a g8 and g5 bolt, but after that - as kerbjr said - the rest of the bend kind of melts and is easy. This is also evidenced by being able to get the ends to beyond parallel. The red is a tough bend all the way through and I have not seen any beyond parallel ends on a finished red. Maybe try a 7 inch long 5/16" bolt as it will at least have the same dimensions as the IM red.

BTW - what is your bottom starting position squat up to now? I remember years ago it was already up to 900 pounds - insane!

Mike

Hi everyone, .......this is my first post here. Been reading off and on a little. Got to chat a little with Clay and a couple others once. Really like the board. I've been bending a bit for the last couple of monthsMostly 60's, but did a grade 5 a couple of weeks ago. Last night did a piece of 1/4 square stock a friend sent me. I haven't had a chance to pick up some grade 5's and 8's, but I did run across a loww grade 8inch 5/16 bolt, so I tried it. I kinked it. I was wondering how this would compare to a red nail or how it would rate in strength/difficulty? How would it compare to other commonly bent steel?..........Thanks in advance, I'll be away from the computer for several hours, will post back when I can.........God Bless. Bud Jeffries

Welcome aboard, Bud! I'm a fellow Christian as well, and find your website to be very inspirational.

The thing with bolts graded "2" is that there is a significant variance in strength among the various brands. So you really can't make a blanket statement as to the difficulty of bolts less than a grade 5. For example, at six inches in length (the Red is 7") the following bolts are comparable to an a Red: "BL" and "HKT". On the other hand, the "307A" is roughly 50% the strength of a Red. What is stamped on the top your bolt's head?

Hey Bud, good to see you here.

Great to meet you at the RKC too. I'm sure if you get into the bending seriously you will be destroying the red in no time!

Way too much variance in G2 bolts to be certain. Less so in the G5 and G8 range. Good to have you around. What style are you bending with? How is that quarter squat coming? I dug the photo in Milo, thats gotta hurt!

Thanks everyone for your replies... I'll try to answer them all, excuse my typing skills......Thanks Brett, the thing in missouri on the site is off, the guy that contacted us disappeared, unless you know of some place that would like to have us, thanks for the pm...........Mike, thanks, my best bottom position so far is 1,000, the video is up on the front page of my site.........Eric, thank you, the bolt says 307a, but it is much tougher than the grade 5 I bent and my hands were much more fatigued when I bent the grade 5, the only thing I think might factor in is that 2 weeks ago I did a series of exibitions at some schools and churches, I bent about a dozen 60's with some flimsey pads and bruised my left hand pretty bad, the 8inch bolt seems to sit oddly and across that area of my hand. I felt it "grind" in my hand if that makes sense. but the 60's and the square stock I bent the same night were easy..........Don, thanks and it was great to meet you too, the RKC was very cool, thats where I bent the grade 5, hopefully the red will be bent soon, I like bending and am happy with my progress considering how long I've been at it and how few total times I've done it.....MikeP,thanks, I'm bending double underhand, so far it is the only way that feels right, my best quarter squat so far is 1,850, hopefully 2,000 in the next feww months.......thank you all again for the nice welcome.......God bless, Bud Jeffries