Im Pads

bigboy

I am getting ready to reorder IM pads. I know that they come in two pieces, do you fold them in half or cut them? I cut the last set and they seem to wear out sooner than I expected. Just wondering what everyone does.

I fold them into thirds too. Seems to work fine.

Do they let you use 2 peices folded into thirds for the certification????

If you are used to leather then the Im pads will throw you bad, I have tried to certify with the IM pads only to fail, I would suggest using only IM pads if certifying is your goal. I can kill reds with leather and thicker types wrap but very inconsistent with im pads...Brett

If you are used to leather then the Im pads will throw you bad, I have tried to certify with the IM pads only to fail, I would suggest using only IM pads if certifying is your goal. I can kill reds with leather and thicker types wrap but very inconsistent with im pads...Brett

I was just sick of using an old t-shirt.

How did you wear out cordura unless you ripped a bunch of holes in it?

I've worn holes in stronger stuff than cordura. It happens over time no matter what I've used (although I've never tried leather)

Although the leather I use is great stuff, it does wear out quicker than my ballistic nylon.

Just a note:

Since I folded the pads in thrids last night I was able to bend a 5" length of 3/16ths, a PR for these puny hands!

I never did get the feel for the IM pads. I'm not all that great at bending, I pretty much just do it for the wrist strength it gives you, so I just use wash rags. Feels a lot more comfortable to me. However, if I do get better at it I may consider trying to switch for certification.

When I received my pads I cut them into four pieces. I wrapped the metal using two 6" x 12" pieces, one on each half of the metal. The points on 60d's started cutting into the material, the heads on nails and bolts also wear the material, the folding into thirds will save the pads and my hands. I thank everyone for the advice. If the group in columbus ever get together again, let me know, I am willing to drive. I live in Batesville, IN.

Here's a tip (I don't know if you think I am cheating, but it cuts out a lot of work):

(I have only been bending 60d's and grade 5s) I cut off the heads of the bolt or nail with some serious bolt cutters, so I just have a straight bar of steel.

Then I tape the cordura with scotch tape to hold in in place (after I have wrapped it of course). Then I can bend, pull it out and just slip in the next nail! I only have to re-wrap the cordura every once in while, and it works great!

Shameless cheater!!!

Actually, I've been known to cut off a nail tip or two to save wear on my pads. Porkbone mentioned using rubberbands around his ballistic nylon, in the same way you're cheating with your scotch tape. True benders, like myself, on the other hand, use duct tape, and only duct tape.

Once you break in some leather pads they will hold their shape well enough so that you can slide them off to check your bend and then slide them right back on without having to resort to cheating.