3/8 Aluminum

John Beatty

Just for laughs, tried a 7" piece in 3/8 round Aluminum. Got a pretty good warp, maybe to 20 degrees & it turned into 1" crs, I'm pretty sure. Very hard. Where does this stuff rank in the hardness scale?

Aluminum comes tempered and un - tempered. Don't know if that wording is correct but there is a huge difference between the two. %/16" tempered is harder than 3/8" untempered. The tempered will sometimes break at the end also - which can kind hurt a touch - kind of like a tempered pole barn spike.

Interesting, I did not know about the different types of Aluminum. But the 3/8" aluminum at 6.5" that I got from a gripboard member felt similar to a blue nail. I will have to try some more...sounds like a huge difference in strength.

Edited by denver

All the 3/8" aluminum I've ever tried has been easy. Not quite as tough as 1/4" HRS. A 6" piece wasn't as hard as a blue.

There are a couple grades of aluminum, and my memory is failing as to their exact alloy numbers. I want to say that the easy stuff is 5356 and the hard stuff is 6061. I've worked with both of them before back when I was doing another hobby and there was a noticeably difference in strength.

Well, I must have the hard stuff. I did everything I could for 5 min to get it past the initial pathetic bend, including bracing & nothing. My wife thought I was having some kind of medical emergency when I went upstairs, because I was dripping sweat & huffing. I'm no great bender, I've done 5.5" 1/4 CRS, Grade 5's, but this stuff was HARD!

John, you really are cursed. It seems like every piece of bar stock that comes in your benders bags are tougher than normal. You should include this crazy hard aluminum in there too.

Well, I must have the hard stuff. I did everything I could for 5 min to get it past the initial pathetic bend, including bracing & nothing.  My wife thought I was having some kind of medical emergency when I went upstairs, because I was dripping sweat & huffing. I'm no great bender, I've done 5.5" 1/4 CRS, Grade 5's, but this stuff was HARD!

John,

I feel the same way--I picked up some 3/8 aluminum at the hardware store a few months ago, and can't bend a 7" piece. I can bend reds, but not this b*stard.

My secret to getting past this obstacle? Forget about it--pretend it didn't happen.

It was going good, too--until you had to remind me. :D

yeah 6061 will be tought to bend as all decent quality mountain bike frames and components are made out of that grade aluminum.