What Kind Of Stock Or Nails Would You Recommend

Steve B.

I wanted to know what you guys would recommend for a beginner bender?I have broke an old car key just to try it but have'nt really done a nail or bar stock.

Get you some of those timber ties from home depot. Buy you a couple singles first to make sure they are not the hard ones. The easy ones are good to learn with the hard ones are close to 60d. But saying 60d doesn't mean much now that we know there are 60's out there that range from blue nail to 5.5 grade 5 in toughness and maybe more span than that.

i would think timber ties would be too hard for most beginners...i had my friend try to bend a relatively easy one last nite, and he couldn't do it. In fact, i think bender recommends using the timber ties after you can bend 6" 1/4 stock.

Start with 3/16" HRS (hot rolled steel) - start with maybe 7" and work technique. Then cut it shorter and shorter until you get to maybe 5.5" or so. Then start with 3/16" square HRS and do the same thing. Then you'll be ready for the easy TT's and 1/4" HRS. Be careful with pole barn nails - they come two ways - regular and oil quenched, the quenched ones are hard and brittle so they break instead of bend.

Steve's a stud and should start with 1/4" grade 2 bolts 6" long. Timber ties vary a lot. One box you get will be like bending a straw and another box will feel like medium-tough 60d common nails.

At the grip gathering on 12/11, we're going to convert Steve into a nail-folding, leather-wrapping cheater like the rest of us. Come watch!

At the grip gathering on 12/11, we're going to convert Steve into a nail-folding, leather-wrapping cheater like the rest of us.  Come watch!

hahahahahhaha. thats funny stuff. in that case...start him off with some g8's

Edited by ishred

a nail-folding, leather-wrapping cheater  . 

I laughed out loud on this one. If I ever fold a red nail I'm putting this in my signature line. :D:D