I've Finally Started Banding

twig

I could've sworn I posted this yesterday, but never mind:

Got the bag, squished some whites, then a couple of greens, then a yellow,and put one hell of a kink in a blue.

Then went and soaked my forearms in heat and ice cos I didn't do any warm up! I keep doing that, every time some new equipment arrives, I go at it like a bull at a gate and end up hurting myself, you think I'd learn, wouldn't you?

Anyway, technique question: I use a double overhand, thumbs together style (because I don't know any others) and I find making the kink easy, and no worries in the chest crush dept, what's the best way to get it from the initial kink of around 30 degrees, around to the 90 degree point where I can chest crush it? When I mention the degrees, that's the external angle, ie from horizontal to the nail, so the internal angle would be 150 degrees.

:help And does anyone have any good descriptions of other techniques I can try? One's without videos, cos I can't play them at work. I've tried using the search function and I either get a million useless entries, or no entries at all!

Ta.

Further question, The tendon that links the bicep to the elbow is really burning, like a bad pull, or a minor tear, does this suggest poor technique, or just too much, too soon?

First of all I am glad to see you joining the community of benders.

I reccomend going to Benders web page:

Benders Page

That is a really good resource. In there he cautions you against what you have just done.... Go easy and slow and let your hands and wrists get acclimated to bending before you hurt yourself.

Congrats on your bending, just take it a little easier after the pain and soreness goes away.

Greg

Edited by gamidon

That's a super start, Twig!

It usually takes a couple of months for your connective tissue to acclimate to the stresses of bending, so, though it's hard, follow Gamidon's advice and progress conservatively for a while.

Double over, or under, typicaly generates the most leverage for the majority. The reverse grip (old Termnator) is usually easiest to learn, though, and may give you the best immediate results. But this style is very hard on one of your wrists in particular. Choice in style really depends on what your goals are. Do you want to bend the biggest piece of steel possible, or do you simply wish to train your wrists and other upper body muscle groups?

My goal is to bend something no one else has! :blush

I've been given a description of four basic styles, double over, double under, terminator and folding, and best guess is I use a combo of folding and double over.

Will be resting this arm for at least a week tho, and I've got a brand new HG300 to keep my other hand busy.

First of all I am glad to see you joining the community of benders. 

I reccomend going to Benders web page:

Benders Page

That is a really good resource.  In there he cautions you against what you have just done....  Go easy and slow and let your hands and wrists get acclimated to bending before you hurt yourself. 

Congrats on your bending, just take it a little easier after the pain and soreness goes away.

Greg

Hi Twig. I have also just started bending seriously / regularily. Last night, I bent five 6,0mm thick x 180 mm long nails back to back, and kinked one 7,0mm x 210 mm nail about 20 minutes after that. I followed Gregs post to the link to Benders Page to see where this puts me, and I guess it is roughly equivalent to 1/4" x 7 inch long. The problem is, I just found these in my closet, and had no packaging so don't know how tough the metal is...

Here's the pic of the five nails, the other kink is in my album...

gallery_4801_162_1097947087.jpg

Edited by Lich

hey ive just started bending today aswell, popped down to homebase and picked up some 60D nails and some 5" versions, jumped in the deep end a little, managed to put quite a kink in the 60D and a slight kink in the 5" but im gonna order some easier stuff. I was wondering myself how often to bend or how to work it in to my other weight/grip training?

I was wondering myself how often to bend or how to work it in to my other weight/grip training?

I would start out bending twice a week, with medium intensity and moderate to high volume. Just work your technique and allow your tendons to strengthen for a couple of months. If you've already been doing heavy hand and wrist exercises for a while you may require less of an initial conditioning phase.

I would allow for a couple days of rest between heavy bends and pressing movements to give your tendons and joints a break.