Mmg1 Screwup By Wannagrip

Bill Piche

I think this is the best we can do and have to trust people will follow the rules. Besides, I know my grippers don't get continuously weaker and weaker otherwise I'd be closing my #4's by now.  :)

Certainly they dont get easier and easier-but some do indeed get easier to a point.

I cant explain it, but I know what I know, and I know this gripper is not close to the one I closed.

Rick Walker :rock

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rick Walker

• Jedd Johnson

• FrankyBoy

hey bill....what if jedd or heath barely close this gripper? what if it is just as hard or harder than the mm2....will steve get credit for it?

No. Come on guys, let's not go crazy on this whole thing. :)

I think this is the best we can do and have to trust people will follow the rules. Besides, I know my grippers don't get continuously weaker and weaker otherwise I'd be closing my #4's by now.  :)

Certainly they dont get easier and easier-but some do indeed get easier to a point.

I cant explain it, but I know what I know, and I know this gripper is not close to the one I closed.

I agree some get easier to a point. 100% agree.

But, what happens if Heath and Jedd come back and say there isn't a significant difference?

I guess another option for Steve is to immediately sign up for the MM2-then he can compare how each one felt. I am just glad he closed it!

Funny how he is a credit card (or less) from the MM1 DUD-maybe he can even close it fresh-yet he found the MM1 to be VERY close to the DUD. A little easier-but not much.

You know how hard the MM DUD is Bill. There is a reason you made them DUDs. As a matter of fact, I think you once told me you saw the DUDs as easy #4 level...if there is such a thing.

I guess another option for Steve is to immediately sign up for the MM2-then he can compare how each one felt.  I am just glad he closed it! 

Funny how he is a credit card (or less) from the MM1 DUD-maybe he can even close it fresh-yet he found the MM1 to be VERY close to the DUD.  A little easier-but not much.

You know how hard the MM DUD is Bill.  There is a reason you made them DUDs.  As a matter of fact, I think you once told me you saw the DUDs as easy #4 level...if there is such a thing.

Yup, which prompted the increase in distance from the bottom of the spring to the top of the handles.

But, what happens if Heath and Jedd come back and say there isn't a significant difference?

Then I will admit that I lost a ton off my crush in less then a months time, while I was training my crush.

However, if this gripper stays untouched from now until it sees the first calibrator, there will be a difference.

If you are certain Bill that these grippers are the same, then why bother to send them out to Heath or Jedd? You seem pretty confident that they are all the same.

I wondered about the seasoning issue from the start. The sweep gets easier as it seasons up. No doubt about it. If one gripper has been used for the majority of the time and another one has hardly been used then there is going to be a difference. Might not be a bad idea to have John at pda season them to make sure they are all at the same level.

Austin

All will be cleaned and oiled before the comparison. When I first got them, I could not tell the difference. I believe you Rick. Something is up. I think it's the seasoning/rust and maybe some binding going on. I've seen it happen with my friends grippers (and mine too). In fact, he said today...feel this freaking #1 how hard it is now as compared to before. We also noticed it with his #3 and #4. Both have gotten progressively harder the last 6 months as they just sit in his bag and get chalk/dust and yes rust.

So, to get to the bottom of things we do need to figure out what's going on. I still believe it's a combo of seasoning and the other factors.

I wondered about the seasoning issue from the start. The sweep gets easier as it seasons up. No doubt about it. If one gripper has been used for the majority of the time and another  one has hardly been used then there is going to be a difference. Might not be a bad idea to have John at pda season them to make sure they are all at the same level.

Austin

I agree. See my other post.

When Rick said something is up, I believe him. My theory may be off and it may be entirely a seasoning thing and not a combo. They were made back to back very carefully and from the same point in the spring wire. We found that was an issue in itself. You cannot create one gripper and then come back later and expect to create another the same. They must be made right next to each other from the spool.

Sorry guys, must have still been tired from closing my #3 for the kids at work for about 30 reps. Good gripper Bill thanks. Will rest longer for mm2 thats for sure. :whistel

On the subject of rust/dirt toughening up grippers...

When I let my dad borrow my easy #3 for a while, he took it with him everywhere and it got rusty and dirty. When I tried it again I barely got it cold and was surprised. Now that it has had some more squeezes on it on a regular basis and been cleaned, it is easier again. But for a while there it was significantly tougher.

If it matters, I think that using several grippers is fine as long as they're all seasoned, oiled, and kept in a dry place. Having someone like Jedder or Heather (like the play on words there?) test them would be cool.

On the subject of rust/dirt toughening up grippers...

When I let my dad borrow my easy #3 for a while, he took it with him everywhere and it got rusty and dirty.  When I tried it again I barely got it cold and was surprised.  Now that it has had some more squeezes on it on a regular basis and been cleaned, it is easier again.  But for a while there it was significantly tougher.

If it matters, I think that using several grippers is fine as long as they're all seasoned, oiled, and kept in a dry place.  Having someone like Jedder or Heather (like the play on words there?) test them would be cool.

As I mentioned above, I have definitely seen the same thing. My friend's #4 for example became a beast over time. I guess if you want to toughen up a gripper, this is a way.

Once I get the the one MMG1 back, they will be cleaned, oiled, etc. and after testing this will get done every time on all the grippers (MMG2 and 3's as well) one gets sent out.

Once I get the the one MMG1 back, they will be cleaned, oiled, etc. and after testing this will get done every time on all the grippers (MMG2 and 3's as well) one gets sent out.

Out of curiousity why are you going to clean the one before it's sent out? I thought the purpose of getting them calibrated was to see if there was a difference in the strength necessary to close. If the difference was indeed caused by rust and what have you, then cleaning it BEFORE it gets tested might not show the discrepancy between the 3 MMG1's.

Agreed.

They should remain untouched until they go to the tester. Cleaning and oiling them may make them easier-and thus make it look like we are lying about the whole situation.

Agreed.

They should remain untouched until they go to the tester.  Cleaning and oiling them may make them easier-and thus make it look like we are lying about the whole situation.

That's fine by me. I said I believe you Rick and I think I know why there is the noted discrepancy. No one said anyone was lying. In fact, I thought I had royally screwed up at the beginning of this. :)

Then Heath or Jedd is going to have to oil and clean them all and then re-test afterwards to make sure they are all the same. See what I mean? Otherwise, what's the point for the long run solution if they just send them back as is?

Heck, what we can do is send the un-touched grippers to both guys. Then, the last guy can oil and clean them and ship them back to the first guy for re-test.

I am open to other ideas?

I want everyone to agree on what the process should be and then we all accept the findings.

That makes even more sense for me.

So we have the opinion of both experts on the original and the cleaned/oiled grippers.

Bill, what do you think of doing the same tests for the other MM tripels (2 and 3)?

So we may avoid a similar problem in the future for the other levels too.

Even if for MM2 and MM3 always the same gripper was used there already may be variances to the 2 backup grippers.

Edited by FrankyBoy

Bill,

Gripper, video, and form went out this morning via express mail.

If possible, please send the video back to me. I will send you a check.

Thanks-

I have the twin to mm1 except its DEFFINITELY a little harder if you want me to send it to somebody.

So, to get to the bottom of things we do need to figure out what's going on. I still believe it's a combo of seasoning and the other factors.

I have the twin to mm1 except its DEFFINITELY a little harder if you want me to send it to somebody.

I would think it's more the rust and cleaning necessity than anything. I say this simply because a non seasoned MM1 shouldn't be close to an MM2, yes no?

Bill,

Gripper, video, and form went out this morning via express mail.

If possible, please send the video back to me.  I will send you a check.

Thanks-

Thanks Rick.

There was someone who was asking about the measurements from spring to handle. We spec'd this to Warren as 1/4". I checked all of them and I imagine Jeff and Warren did as well. I will shoot a video showing the measurements of all three before we send them out to be tested.

I went from the bottom of the spring to the very top of the handle with a steel ruler. It was under 1/4", and just around 1/8".

Of course, my ruler could be off as well. I do smack people with it from time to time.