Mmg1 Screwup By Wannagrip

Bill Piche

So I take it that the other MM1 certs are on hold until the testing. I would like the rest of us (those in line for the MM1 cert) to get a chance before testing-even if Wanna has to send us the 'hard' MM1 to be fair.

• Replies 94
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Bill Piche

• Rick Walker

• Jedd Johnson

• FrankyBoy

So I take it that the other MM1 certs are on hold until the testing.  I would like the rest of us (those in line for the MM1 cert) to get a chance before testing-even if Wanna has to send us the 'hard' MM1 to be fair.

I don't get the reasoning here.

What's the hurry?

Show's got the crush he could probably jump right in there and close all of the duds anyways.

-Jedd-

Show's got the crush he could probably jump right in there and close all of the duds anyways.

-Jedd-

I agree, but we really need to clear this up. We think we know what's going on, but it does need to be confirmed.

IMO, letting the rest go forward with the certification may loosen this gripper up, and thus make it impossible to tell if there were, indeed, some discrepancies. However, I am all for the others certifying with the gripper that was always used before, as long as this one and the other back up are left un-touched. I cant imagine the MM1 gripper that is usually used will season any more then it is now.

Food for thought.

Rick Walker :rock

So, when are we doing this? Is Heath going first?

Just curious.

-Jedd-

I know exactly the gripper used on every other cert. The same one. So, we could go thru this list first. Then, do the testing of all of the MMG1's.

Thoughts?

Excellent idea. No need to slow down this run of certs.

Ok. I am marking the three grippers to know which is the main and backups. And, marking the one just returned specially so we know which one Steve used.

I got the gripper today Rick and tape. Have not watched it yet. Thanks for sending the stuff in. I hope you guys got a good video! :)

Also, we will continue with this group of MMG1 candidates with the normal MMG1 that's been used on all other certs.

Then, when done with this group, we'll take a break for testing.

Florian Kellersmann's interview is STILL not up yet on bb.com. I have been tweaking them multiple times now. Maybe when I send Steve's stuff they will finally get going again with the interviews. If not, I will start publishing them.

Just watched it.

It looked EASY to me guys.

Looks like he got it both hands? I have to look closer at the left close.

Congrats Steve.

If my opinion has any weight, I agree about just going forward with the certs on the same gripper if the same one has been used all along.

Congrats officially big brother!

Just watched it.

Looks like he got it both hands?  I have to look closer at the left close.

Congrats Steve.

No-I was right there under the gripper-as I am sure you can see from the video-he missed it left, just barely. Closed both times with his right.

In all seriousness, the MM1 should be EASY for a guy who is closing tough elites and is 1/4 or less from a #4...

I still stand behind what I have said. The gripper was much harder then the one I closed.

Rick, Steve even said he had done a BUNCH of stuff either the same day or the day before.

He also did a max attempt with a #4 before the attempt right handed, correct? That would blow anyone out. :)

I still think the rust, chalk/dirt, seasoning and potential bind is the difference.

Steve is quoted as saying it is harder than a #3. Frankly, it's supposed to be harder than most 3's.

I can tell you this now though, the measurements are not different. I just showed that clearly in the videos and knew this before it was questioned. I had checked them very closely when they were first made.

I mean this is the Father of grippers that specially made these things with Jeff looking over his shoulder. So, I would expect the measurements to be on the money. Agree?

I still think with a cleaning and oiling the grippers will not be able to be distinguished from one another. Maybe some seasoning too.

Just watched it.

Looks like he got it both hands?  I have to look closer at the left close.

Congrats Steve.

No-I was right there under the gripper-as I am sure you can see from the video-he missed it left, just barely. Closed both times with his right.

In all seriousness, the MM1 should be EASY for a guy who is closing tough elites and is 1/4 or less from a #4...

I still stand behind what I have said. The gripper was much harder then the one I closed.

A lot of factors come into play here. I think a lot of guys on the level Steve is on, and even above such as Heath, Morton, and Vigeant have skewed judgement when it comes to how "easy" grippers feel. If you take someone like me, who barely closed the MM1-I can tell even the slightest difference between it, and another gripper. Kinda like a max bench. You might fight for your life to lockout 400-but put on 402 and you get pasted.

The bottom line is I closed the MM1. I hit it twice with my right, missed with my left. September 18th, I closed what was dubbed a hard #3 with ease with my left. I also closed a gripper known as the MM1 replica. Of course, we all know no 2 grippers are alike-the MM series is all close as it gets in theory and certainly a replica made at a different time will be different. However, both Vigeant's said their MM1 replica, the one used at the GGC, was a bit harder then the MM1 with just a little closer handle spread. Both Vigeants have had their hands on the MM1 ceritification gripper. I trust their judegement. I am now curious if anyone else who is MM1 or higher certified had their hands on this replica? Anyone?

My BBGM just arrived. Missed it by a credit card cold first try left hand. Carried out the 100s to Shrug's truck, came back in, set it, and closed it....

I just dont understand why I was so far away on the MM1 steve closed. Just does not make any sense.

I still believe we have a binding issue going on (and maybe coupled with seasoning). That gripper spring is bone dry and dirty. Probably rust too between the winds.

I asked Jeff Peterson just now if he had done any testing of all three and any seasoning.

I think the "fix" may be as easy as cleaning, oiling, and some cycles on the backups. And, we are golden again. Or, as close as you can get. :rock

It is a good level above the #3 (avg. #3) it is an honest test at that level. I had a bad day. I will write it off on my taxes. No close with left. I am a whimp! :blush

Yep, let's keep these certs flowing and do the calbrating later, bruthas!

-Jedd-

Yep, let's keep these certs flowing and do the calbrating later, bruthas!

-Jedd-

I agree and have posted Eli's cert thread to get going again to get through this session first.

Just so everyone knows they were seasoned 75 reps apiece. I, Dave O., My brother and I all tried them. We tested them all a million ways. Eyes shut and passing them around, all trying one of them then another then the last. Randomly picking one up assigning it a value then trying the others. They were tested and at that time they all checked out OK, they were definatly all the same. Haven't tried any of them as of late but they were great, very close originally. If you don't have all three together on the same day at the same time it's hard to say whats what. Differant vdays you're stronger then others if you haven't tried one for a couple months then try one again you may have gotten a lot stronger/weaker.