Quitting Bending

ishred

Well, i'm done with bending. Bending stock is too inconsistant for me.

I picked up some more 1/4" stock today...hrs. I've been warming up with 1/4" because it has gotten easy for me.

Proceded to cut a 7" piece.

wrapped it up

went for it....wtf???? barely kinked it.

tried a little harder....no go.

at this point i was kinda pissed...found some leftover 1/4" crs that i had. melted it easy.

now i'm thinking "wtf is this shit that i bought". I grabbed my 5/16" hrs. wrapped it up....and proceded to kink it better than that new 1/4".

Back to the new 1/4"....gave it everything.........nothing. hurt my wrists trying.

How is it possible for this stuff to vary this much? I know some people say that they have 5/16" hrs that is easier than a g5.....has anyone had 1/4" hrs that seems impossible????

my wrists are bothering me alot now. i'm done with bending.

Think of the grd 8 stock that is so tough. It's only 1/4". If you are quitting simply because you're discouraged, reconsider. You could be missing out on a PR laden workout just around the corner. There's ups and downs on the road to the mountain top. ;)

Old mountain climber saying "The man on top the mountain didn't fall there"

I did a little bit of bending, just as an interesting minor diversion from gripping. Wasn't even interested in getting wrapping material or learning how to wrap. Just used double palmed cowhide gloves.

At home depot, in the same box of grade-2 5" 1/4" bolts, with the same stock number on the bolt heads, got some that just melted, and others that could barely kink. It was quite illuminating how much variance there is in the low end stuff.

My guess is that the higher end stuff (grade-8s and aircraft bolts) has much less variance due to the minimum tolerances they must meet, but there's probably a good bit too - in relation to what hands and wrists can do to them.

DONT EVER GIVE UP! just because of a little thing like variance.....big deal man.......i know its frustrating, believe me......i encounter the same problem you have....but dont give up what could be a very promising bending experience just for one bad apple in the road dude. if you think you have it tough, think about terminator bending 25 reds in a row, and getting sprayed in the face by his own blood on the 24th. just stick with it, and be strong enough to conquer all stock you meet. you can do it , i have faith in you.

yea, you guys are right. I'm gonna stick with it. I was just pissed because of all the stock i have atm, i can't bend any of it :D . A fellow gripster is sending me a bunch of tt's. I'll work them for awhile then go back to this superstock.

BTW....who can i send a piece of this stuff to for some evaluation? maybe one of you bigger benders can tell me where you would rank it.

Ish send a peice right here bruda. BTW im glad you didnt give up man, stick with it and youl be melting that shit in no time.

you will have good days and bad days. Just got to keep going and you will get what you are working for in the end. I have bad days alot, but it makes the pr days even better. Same way with lifting good and bad comes just keep pluging away. :rock

you shouldnt quit bending just because you had a bad day.One day i can close a 3 and another day i cant close a SM. just because i went from closing a 3 and not being able to close an SM doesnt mean im just going to quit. :)

i got some tt's from jeff peterson today (thanks jeff). decided to give them a try.

The easy tt's...were easy.

the hard tt's were harder to start but crushed easy.

bent a piece of 7" 1/4" stock i had. felt hard to start.

then i went for that superstock again.

i tried as hard as i could. I bent it to 45degrees. I couldn't move it pass that.

I would rate this 1/4" stock harder than a 60d, but just under a g5.

I think my biggest problem with bending is the wraps that i'm using. I use 2 wash cloths. The pain i get with these is tremendous. at the ggc, morton let me use his wraps. I felt nothing using them. So, i'm gonna go find me some leather.

Seriously though, me and handgripperman bought some 1/4" stock at home depot and it was at least twice as strong as a blue nail. it was HORRIBLE. Ishred, i freakin know what you mean. It was labeled hot rolled steel too...that was the weird thing. I couldn't BUDGE a 5" long piece and i smoke g8s.

Don't lose hope!

MEAT

Seriously though, me and handgripperman bought some 1/4" stock at home depot and it was at least twice as strong as a blue nail. it was HORRIBLE. Ishred, i freakin know what you mean. It was labeled hot rolled steel too...that was the weird thing. I couldn't BUDGE a 5" long piece and i smoke g8s.

Don't lose hope!

MEAT

dude, thats the same stuff i bought. it says hrs on it, but its insanely tough to bend..well for 1/4" stock anyway.