Workout report

RogerSteffens

Haven't posted for a while so thought I'd give an update.

Nov. 25th

Grippers- T & #2 couple reps for warmup. #3 for 1 set of 4 reps, 3 sets of 2, Master 1 set of 10+. Left hand Master only

Inch Dumbbell- 5 sets of lift/hold from 106-150lb. 1 set of tosses(sort of ) with 106.

Nov. 27th

2-hand plate pinches: 1 set of 88, 1 set of 110, 2 sets of 166, 1 set of 144.

TTK: 1 set of 20lbs for 10 reps, 1 set with 15lbs for 25-30 reps.

Inch Bar wrist curls(top range): 3 sets of 5-9 reps with 106lb

That's it for now !

Hi, Scott. No, the feel is different to me since the plate holds are isometric.  I don't get much use out of the TTK these days but wanted to just work the thumbs over a wider range that day after the plate workout and get some real reps in.

Not a workout per se.  Hadn't tried the 172 for a while so gave it a shot. Lifted it almost knee high. I have to do this fast and it goes down just as fast as it goes up. I was impressed with myself, ha ha, and put a 2.5 kilo plate on the end of each side and lifted it about an inch.  I've seen good improvement without having to try record lifts all the time but a lot of holds in the 106-130 range.

As always, some great lifting Roger!  I like the idea of the timed holds with a more reasonable weight.  I wore out my right thumb doing the maximum I could for a few weeks, and it wasn't worth it.  After my thumb heals I'm going to do around 125 for holds maybe "inching" it up 1-pound per week, and stay away from the big weight.

Thanks Tom. Hope your thumb heals.

Had a workout today Sunday.

After warmup, 3 sets of 3 reps and 1 set of 2 with the #3 gripper.

Then plate pinches, two handed. 1@89lb, 1@133, 1@177lb, 1@155, 1@133, 1@111 and 1@89.

A new one - wrist curls with the blob from the York 55lb, 1 set of 20 reps or so each hand.

Ulnar side became too tired; wanted to do some overcrushes with the #2 but bagged it instead.

• 3 weeks later...

12/15

Took my 12 yrold son to the Y. Tried to get a workout in while supervising him.Grip work constituted 2 sets 10 reps of dumbbell wrist curls with 95lbs. Several sets of swinging a 45lb plate around by pinching. This was a rubber coated deal with a narrow lip so felt like pinching rather than hanging by the thumb.

12/17

Lousy gripper workout which happens rarely. Managed only a couple of #3 closes with 4-5 sets of low reps with master. Did a set of 20 reps per arm of snatches with 50lb on the Inch handle, then 1 set each of 15 reps. Rested, then did a couple of reps per the latest Milo of pinching a 50lb plate and cleaning and pressing. That hurt a bit. Did a set of 10 reps with a 2 hand plate curl with the 50. Finally, tossed the 50 Inch back and forth about 20 times.

Roark, (Joe?) I rarely do the thick bar wrist curls so hard to say. They do seem a bit easier though than with thinner bars.

12/20

4 sets of 5 dumbell snatches with 72.5 lbs using the Inch handle, each arm. Feels really important keeping a flat back with the butt out; any relaxation and the lower back feels odd. Good cardio. Right arm could have done some more, left arm barely made it.

Roger,

Great work with the grippers and the Inch Dumbell Handle snatches!  If I could reference one of your earlier posts concerning the TTK, how do you prefer to use it.  There are so many ways possible it gets confusing.  Do you feel the TTK helps with the grippers at all or is it more for thick dumbells? Thanks for the help!

Pat Povilaitis

• 2 weeks later...

Roger, all your numbers are impressive.  I had a question about your snatches:  Are you doing them with a swing to start the weight up, or do you take it straight up from the floor?

Happy New Year. Well, I rarely use the TTK these days but I think it would help more thick bar lifting than crushing due to the need for a strong thumb with the thick bars.

The snatches are straight up from the floor with no swing. I'd guess the thick bar adds about 20lbs or more in perceived difficulty; for example, the 105 I use at the Y almost feels easier due its normal size handle. I'd like to try a max with the lift but the Y only goes to 105.

I don't really pursue an organized program for all of this, by the way. Yesterday I used the supergripper and did plate curls. Maybe I'll do some snatches this evening. No, actually, I'm going to try some cleans and push presses with the thickbar ! thanks for the incentive

Did 4 sets of 3 reps of cleans/push presses with 84lb on the Inch handle. Then tossed it hand to hand 10-15 times. I cleaned it for each rep and was real hard to hold on bringing it back to the floor at the 3rd rep.

As part of regular workout at the Y also did some plate wrist curls. 2 sets of 10 with the 35lb plate; 1 set of 25 with the 25lb; 5 or so reps with the 105 dumbbell.

As an aside, dumbbell snatches are cool. I feel strong doing the slow negative with the 105 after snatching.

Roger, those are some high numbers on the wrist work. Great job!

I would like to ask you the same question that terminator asked earlier regarding your TTK:  Which position do you prefer to use it in? I have one and I started using it exclusively with my thumb on top because for me that seems to isolate my thumb the best.

When I use the TTK, which is very rarely, my thumb is on top.

1/15

Happy Birthday to Me. At the Y did plate wrist curls with 35lb plate, then a high angle holdout with the 45lb,then a set of 35lbs using the 25 plate with 2-5lb plates stacked.

1/16

Gripper work with the Ivanko supergripper, about 8 sets of 4-5 reps, one spring at the toughest position and the other 3 or 4 slots away from the pivot.

1/20

Joined an LA Fitness. Worked out with my son. They have rubber coated Oly plates.  Did a couple of sets of pinch grip, passing hand to hand with the 45s. Several also with the 25s.

1/22

1 set each hand of 20 rep snatches with the Inch Bar loaded to 62 lbs total

• 2 weeks later...

1/30

Supergripper for 5-6 sets of 3-4 reps. Some plate pinches with 45 lbs. Swung my 62lb Inch bar around for a while.

1/31

Used the rubber coated plates at LA Fitness for pinches. Between 3 1/2-3 3/4 across so pretty fat. Passed 90lb back and forth. Actually lifted the 90lb with one hand; that felt good since so wide, although rubber does help. I think my pinch is strongest at a large width, which is counterintuitive. Passed 50lb back and forth for about 2 minutes.

Edit: Inspired by Scott's photo, I tried my 3 22lb plates together for a pinch lift this p.m.  My plates spread at the bottom too much (small hands ?) when I squeeze so slip apart. Tried with a PVC pipe threaded through and was able to lift off the ground.

2 sets of 10 reps on the 95lb dumbbell

• 3 weeks later...

2/17

Missed posting. Did supergripper after tennis and some pinches.

2/18

My first PDA gripper came in. A 513 in-lb version. Warmed up with the trainer and then closed the new one. It has a nice handle spread. Felt easier than my Elite.

Roger, great job!!  I think I see a closed #4 in your future....

• 1 month later...

Not keeping up with this too well.

Weekly singles with the 513, #3 etcetera.

Pinch grip with the wide 90lb(2x45) plates at LA fitness along with the 50

Dumbbell wrist curls with 120s, LA Fitness only goes to 125s, nearing the limit !

Did my Rolling Thunder for the first time in quite a while, many singles to 225

• 1 month later...

Been focusing a lot on pinch grip work. Finally pinch lifted the 2 20Kg plates.  I'm better at fatter plates I think. I'll have to try the Hampton's at the Y as a test.

Tried barbell wrist curls for the first time in quite a while yesterday as a change from dumbbell and to see what I could do.  I was able to get a couple of sets of 10 with 225 and I was very happy with this.  I didn't like trying to muscle it up to my knees so I think I'll stick with dumbbell work which seems to have a good crossover.