Pinch Grip Training

Guest Scott Clayton

Guest Scott Clayton

The goal is 150 pounds with my right hand by April 1st, 2002.

Here are the workouts:

10-12-01

Pinch Grip,  2 25's.  2 thirty second holds.

2 35's.  Passed back and forth from hand to hand, 30 seconds.

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Clayton

• Bearcat 74

• RogerSteffens

• Tyrannosaurus Dave

Guest Scott Clayton

10-13

1-Hand Deadlift, on 2-Inch Bar

75-160, full lift, both hands

165, broke off the floor, both hands

2-Inch Barbell Holds, both hands

275, 10 seconds

325, 10 seconds.  This was very difficult.

I'll let Scott say the rest of his workout, I just wanted to brag about him pulling the wide 45's we have at the gym.  They are, at my best guess, 2" across a piece.  He did a good warmup, and then brought the monsters a good 4-5" off the floor.  Very impressive!!  

Guest Scott Clayton

Thanks Heath.  From now on, "narrow" will mean that the plates together are 2.5 inches across.  The "wide" plates are about 4 inches across.  Here's how it went.

Warm up

Narrow 35's, 2 ten second holds

Wide 35's, passed back and forth 10 seconds, 2 "sets."

Broke the wide 45's off the floor with right.

Narrow 35's, 1 set to failure both hands

Wide 25's, 1 set till failure, both hands.

Hammer Curls

30x5

40x5

55x5

65x5

50x10

Guest Scott Clayton

10-16

Farmer's Walk

120 pound dumbells, 80 feet. 3 sets.

Grippers

Trainerx15

#2x5, 3 sets. both hands

#3x1, 6 attempts, both hands.  Managed 2 closes with right hand, none with left.

• 3 weeks later...

Had to change my user name due to some problems logging in.  During the last few weeks I've been playing around with the adjustable Inch dumbell handle from PDA.  I'm getting close to 172.

Here's today's pinch workout.

Pinch 35's.  1 set in each hand.  8 seconds.  Not so hot.

Pinch 25's.  passed from hand to hand.  Held them for about 2 minutes all together.

1 set of reverse curls with 65 pounds.  3 sets of hammer curls with 50's.

Guest 68-1005097157

Scott,

Congratulations; that is quite impressive.  I asssume we are talking about full deadlifts, by the way?  There was recently talk on the grippage of how poundages on set-ups attempting to emulate the Inch DB are correlated to one's ability to lift the actual Inch DB or a  genuine replica thereof.  In that regard, if there is any way for you to gain access to a real replica, I'm sure PDA and everyone else would be quite curious to know exactly what weight you are capable of on the PDA adjustable model when you are at the point that you can just barely deadlift the replica.  As the PDA model is extremely similar to a true replica, I would be surprised if it was much more than 180.

Doc,

Thank you.  I was pretty excited, but I think I lifted the dumbell all the way.  It was well over my knees anyway.

I'd like to get my hands on a replica to do the comparison.  Maybe I could stop by Richard Sorin's Grip Gauntlet sometime.

Yupper, it was a full DL.  He actually pulled his left hand attempt up to his waist, very impressive.

Guest 77-1005097254

Scott. Very well done! Thats some pinch gripping!! Good luck in your quest for 150 pounds. That would easily be up there with Joe Kinney's No4 closure and John Brookfield's "U" bend of Ironminds 7" steel bar, to mention a couple.

What grip width would you use to lift 150 pounds? I have only used 2" grip width myself, and David Horne mentioned that 2" is his best width, and that his poundage went down when the width was wider or narrower.

I have the incredible photo of Richard Sorin pinching a 100 pound anvil 4" width!! on my home gym wall.

I couldn't imagine anyone else duplicating this feat!

I now think differently.

Cheers Michael.

Michael, thanks for the kind words.  Maybe someday I'll be up there with the guys you've mentioned, but I still have a way to go.

Right now I'm planning to use 2 45 pound plates as the pinch surface.  They are about 2 and a half inches across when you put them together.  

Along they way to 150, I'd like to try to duplicate some of Richard Sorin's lifts, especially 120 pounds with the old, thick style York plates.

11-19

Kinda busy last week, no real training done.  Helped a friend move this weekend, hands are a little beat up.

Tonight I did sets of 10 in the hammer curl up 65 pounds.

11-23

Grippers

Warm up

#2, 5 sets of 5, both hands

#3, 5 15 second holds

I'm at my parent's house for Thanksgiving, with no equipment, so I had to get a little creative.  I decided to try some chins, pinching the rafters in the garage.  I new after the big meal last night, and leftovers today, I was going to be far to heavy.  The garage has trusses supporting the roof, so I had a nice 2 by 6 to work with.  I put my left hand over the top edge, and pinched the  bottom edge of the beam with my right.  In this manner I was able to do several singles in the half rafter pinch chin.  I only managed one with my left hand.

11-23

Grippers

Warm up

#3, 5 15 second holds

I'm at my parent's house for Thanksgiving, with no equipment, so I had to get a little creative.  I decided to try some chins, pinching the rafters in the garage.  I new after the big meal last night, and leftovers today, I was going to be far to heavy.  The garage has trusses supporting the roof, so I had a nice 2 by 6 to work with.  I put my left hand over the top edge, and pinched the  bottom edge of the beam with my right.  In this manner I was able to do several singles in the half rafter pinch chin.  I only managed one with my left hand.

11-23

Grippers

Warm up

#3, 5 15 second holds

11-23

Grippers

Warm up

#3, 5 15 second holds

11-27

Pinch

Attempted wide 45's.  No go

Narrow 45's, 5 "reps" alternated hands, no rest.

Narrow 25's, 1 minute hold, each hand.

Tried to bend some nails.  Put a small kink in a 40 penny.

11-23

Grippers

Warm up

#3, 5 15 second holds

11-26

Wrist roller

Pinch: Regular 25's, 50 second hold

Pinch: Wide 25's, passed hand to hand for 1 minute

11-27

Pinch

Attempted wide 45's.  No go

Narrow 45's, 5 "reps" alternated hands, no rest.

Narrow 25's, 1 minute hold, each hand.

Tried to bend some nails.  Put a small kink in a 40 penny.

11-30

Pinch Grip

Warm up

Attempted wide 45's, no go

Narrow 45's Passed back and forth, hand to hand, 10 passes

Wrist Roller

Both Directions

60 pounds

Made my own wrist roller out of PVC pipe and a strap.  It fits in the power rack, and we rolled it about 5 feet.  A cool new toy.

Scott, you may want to consider finding a 2" surface to up your weights.  I remember reading in David Horne's iron grip stuff that he was able to pinch about 105lbs with the Weider 45s, which are 2 1/2".  On the other hand, he was doing in the 130s with the 2" surface.

Guest Luke Reimer

Scott,

Great pinching!

I see you are also logging hammer curls.  Is there any particular reason you prefer hammers to regular curls? Just wondering.

Roger,

I've been thinking of trying out some kind of block to make jumps in poundage smaller.  I think I'll rig something up for this afternoon.

Luke,

I do regular curls on a straight bar as well as hammer curls and sometimes reverse curls.  I mention hammer curls because I feel they hit the forearms more than straight bar curls.  I usually don't post non grip\forearm stuff here.

That said, if I only have time for 1 curl type movement, I'll do hammers.  I feel they hit the most muscles of any 1 type of curl.