Bend A Blue, But Not A Green?

Hubgeezer

Today is Friday. The first time my 23-yr-old son touched an IM nail was Tuesday. He bent whites easily, was bending yellows while sitting in the back seat of a car(?), and touched his first blue last night, Thursday. He easily bent it, completely and within seconds. He had not tried a green, which are shorter, and after 5 minutes, could not put it completely away. He was very down, and was convinced that he must have done the other ones "by cheating", and it tarnished his blue bend. Nothing I could say helped, but he knows I am not a bender. Ever seen that? What gives?

Hubgeezer

How long after bending the blue did he try the green? He might've just been spent. Also, you have to grip shorter nails alot harder than longer ones. Have him practice with only greens for a few days. He'll get it.

I can bend 5" stock of the same material that I can't bend in 7". Shouldn't be, but I can. Fits my body better. Everybody is different. If he is going to start bending, he needs to quit getting down so easy. There are lots of ups and downs. Overcome.

This isn't the most probable scenario, but I've run across some Greens that were mismarked and were essentially 5" Blues. Are the Greens 3/16" thick? Does the steel itself seem like "Green strength"?

If he is going to start bending, he needs to quit getting down so easy.  There are lots of ups and downs.  Overcome.

As goes for any type of lifting, and all areas of grip. Most important lesson even for life. There are always ups and downs, its how you deal with them that matters.

It is a little over a week since I posted this, and I have a few comments now. The stock was not mismarked. My son simply does not know what he is doing with bending, but has great potential. Clay said if he is to go beyond 60 penny nails, he will have to know what he is doing, and my son agrees. We'll see what happens.

Hubgeezer