More Reps On Gripper Does Not Mean More Strength.

kelby

High reps will make you stronger. Period. I can't believe that I didn't respond to this thread when it first started.

Low reps will make you stronger as well. It all works. Everyone is right! Whatever rep range suits you just stick to it and either add more reps or increase the resistance. You will get stronger.

• Replies 109
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• nagual

• John Wood

• dannyboy

• Bill Piche

I completely disagree about how reps don't equal more strength for it's all how you do the reps. For instance I get a lot stronger and bigger when I do a lot of weight less reps, and I increase my weight and lower the reps as I proceed with that workout, and I continue to do this till it get's easy. When it gets easy I add 10 pounds to beginning, which increases everything from there.

I believe the same CAN work with grippers. However, I have been doing negatives and I think for grip work they are much more effective. But to say reps do not equal strength is just wrong for I have proven it wrong, and many many others have too.

Straining the fast twitch fibers is what makes you stronger. By increasing intensity you are straining the fast twitch fibers more. Reps will increase strength to an extent. High reps do have a place though, by doing massive amounts of reps you can shock your system a bit. I think that with explosive reps (which train fast fibers becase they are explosive) you can get to the IM 3 with only an IM 2 with the correct training.

But the extreme of that is going from the Trainer to a IM 3 or IM 4 (with no other grippers only increasing reps) and I don't think anybody here thinks that is possible.

But I also think that instead of doing fast explosive reps with a 2, using a harder gripper for singles or doing negatives will get you the same response, only quicker.

High reps will make you stronger.  Period.  I can't believe that I didn't respond to this thread when it first started. 

Low reps will make you stronger as well.  It all works.  Everyone is right!  Whatever rep range suits you just stick to it and either add more reps or increase the resistance.  You will get stronger.

bencrush,

You ought to run for political office! :laugh

You just convinced ME to do both high reps AND low reps!! :bow

Where have you been all my life?!? I need a grip guru/mentor such as yourself!! :happy

Syber, glad I could be of some assistance! I'm right outside your window right now... :laugh Seriously, I've never been stronger than lately when I've been combining the two extremes of low volume and high volume together to create a synergistic juggernaut. If it's working for me, I think it would do absolute wonders for some of the genetic freaks here on the board.

• 2 months later...

Okay this is an old thread, but I couldn't help but post what I've found at bodybuilding forums. is the quote?

i always keep this handy...

A. Use of Neural Efficiency (as well as some Myofibral Hypertrophy) occurs in rep ranges of 1-3. (Neural Efficiency increases the percentage of motor units that can be activated at any given time. There is little to no effect on size but increases strength will be great. Little to no protein turnover occurs in this rep range as load is too high and mechanical work is too low.)

B. Mostly Myofibral and Sarcomere Hypertrophy and very little Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy occur with rep ranges of 3-5. (Sarcomere hypertrophy increases contractile proteins in muscle thereby increasing strength directly and also size. Book knowledge suggests that growth here will be mostly myofibral/ sarcomere hypertrophy and will be accompanied with strength gains in other rep ranges and improvements in neural efficiency. Therefore this is perhaps the best rep range for increasing strength. Better balance of load / work done for hypertrophy so no surprises there.)

C. Myofibral, Sarcomere, and Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy (lots of growth as well strength gain within this rep range with little transfer to 1rm) occur with rep ranges of 5-10. (Sarcoplasmic Hypertrophy does not directly increase strength but can affect it by increasing tendon angle at the attachment - but of course it increases size.)

D. Some Sarcoplasmic with little Myofibral and Sarcomere Hypertrophy occur in rep ranges of 10-15. (More fatigue and a greater extent of waste products are associated with this rep range. Possible increase in capillary density.)

E. Capillary density increases with little Sarcoplasmic growth with rep ranges above 15. (Muscle endurace begins to become a factor (but who needs that?). Also, waste products are intense – lactic acid buildup to the point of making some individuals sick.)

Here is the link if you wanna learn more about these terms and the discussion

http://www.homefitness101.com/forum/index....t=0entry48330

Hope ya'll found this helpful ;)

1- No way did I read the entire forum, but the first two pages will suffice

I think the issue here is the method of training with relation to increase in measurable strength results.

If your method of your training involves working at a rep range of 20-25 reps (in this situation you start out at a weight that can be lifted/sequeezed for 20 reps and each successive workout you increase the amount of reps until you hit 25 reps, where you then drop the reps back down to 20 but increase the weight by an approriate amount)

In this style of training each time another rep is added, that person has become stronger and more efficient and as long as the weight increases over a given time, there is a measurable increase in strength. Now instead of the 20-25 rep range, replace it with a 3-5 rep range. Obviously this lower rep range is tended towards building absolute strength but the mechanics of the workout stay the same, if either or both reps and weight increase that person has become stronger.

Now to the heart of the issue, is when someone is training without using a rep range, simply keeping the same weight but each workout attempting to add more repetitions. The problem with this is that the percentage of strength gained with each rep becomes smaller and smaller (there are mathematical tension/fatigue graphs to better demonstrate this) while the trainees body increases its ability to more efficiently deal with the fatigue (both cellular and mechanical). The relationship between strength (more importantly absolute strength) and fatigue (AKA anaerobic endurance or strength endurance) is inverse.

So to finally answer this question, in a vacuum theory, simply increasing the reps on a particular gripper doesn't ensure the same success rate/percentage as working with a rep range and a continuous weight increase

As said above...I didnt read the whole thread. I do what I feel I can do, and what has prven succesful by the collective "crushers" on this forum. THat said.

I managed 15 or 17(cant remember) reps on my coc #1, about 3 days before I closed my #2. Now, over a month later, ofslightly diminshed workouts, I can close my #2 3 times (cc set to cc set to ccset). I can still only maange 18 reps on the #1.

I chalk it up to my muscular structure. Even when I played soccer, I trained my ass off for 90min endurance, and couldnt do it. I just dont think I was built for the long run. I have tried in the past to increase this, but I just get to pumped, to continue.

It doesnt matter how you train...just as long as YOU FEEL BETTER about it.

Just my opinion.

n8

i had seen guys do way more reps on the bench press than i. or squats etc, but yet they can not bench worth crap. and i think it is the same for grippers. after five reps i think it becomes an endurance factor and not power.

So, according to you, anything more than five reps is a waste of time for everybody?

Reps are if used what I call micro reps for big gains=seriously.

Most the time I used find doing big reps to one inch and from parallel. Don't get me wrong if want to do one inch rep to close or from parallel that cool.

But if want to to gain each a every day for 6 days week. Give this a try.

Micro reps is repping from 1/32 to 1/16 and working up to one inch to close and to one inch and half. Donot try this it might get you close the big gripper.