Rolling Thunder

JustinH

The owner of the gym I'm going to just got a rolling thunder made with the same diameter as the real one. It rolls and everything. Today including the weight of the pin and the handle I got up 130 pounds, almost got 140. Another guy got up 150.

I was just wondering what you guys got on your first try and what you can do now.

• Replies 85
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• OldGuy

• rbrown

• JustinH

• God-man

First time about one and a half years ago- maybe 130.

At GGC on a brand new handle I did 178 (with handle and pin).

Very little training on it.

Rick Walker :rock

225 first time. Currently I have no idea. Lots of health problems, and haven't trained much grip. Found RT and thickbar to be a natural for me, having the handsize and being good at onehanded lifts. I did first train with a homemade RT before ever trying the real thing.

The owner of the gym I'm going to just got a rolling thunder made with the same diameter as the real one.

Why couldn't he just get an original Rolling Thunder from Ironmind??? :blink

The owner of the gym I'm going to just got a rolling thunder made with the same diameter as the real one.

Why couldn't he just get an original Rolling Thunder from Ironmind??? :blink

He had a metal guy make it for him for really cheap. Since he's given the guy a lot of business.

I got my rolling thunder two weeks ago and, so far, my best is 130 lbs. I am experiencing pain in my left arm where my forearm and bicep come together. it hurts all the time, especially when doing any kind of gripworkout. Even after two weeks, my progress has been very humbling and very slow. :stuart

The owner of the gym I'm going to just got a rolling thunder made with the same diameter as the real one. It rolls and everything. Today including the weight of the pin and the handle I got up 130 pounds, almost got 140. Another guy got up 150.

I was just wondering what you guys got on your first try and what you can do now.

this is not really directly on point, but I noticed you said he got this simulated rolling thunder from a metal guy. Is the handle made of metal?

If so, it will be a good training device, but the numbers are not at all equivalent to an Ironmind Rolling thunder that is made of PVC. I have a metal Rolling Thunder (a very old one) and a worn PVC Ironmind rolling thunder. Both are significantly easier than a new plastic rolling thunder. My best on the metal one is 277; my best on the plastic worn one is 252; and my best on a relatively new plastic rolling thunder is 230.

Surface friction makes a world of difference. Once after a stone contest where I used WD40 to clean up with (and then tried to get it all off) I couldn't even pull 200 on a new rolling thunder.

I think I got around 120 my first try and have since pulled 150, but I've never been very serious about my thick bar training.

If so, it will be a good training device, but the numbers are not at all equivalent to an Ironmind Rolling thunder that is made of PVC. I have a metal Rolling Thunder (a very old one) and a worn PVC Ironmind rolling thunder. Both are significantly easier than a new plastic rolling thunder. My best on the metal one is 277; my best on the plastic worn one is 252; and my best on a relatively new plastic rolling thunder is 230.

This is news that I did NOT want to hear; I'm competing in the RT Nationals at the GNC... and if what you're telling me is that the new RT's are much harder.... :(

first time: 155-160 don't remember the exact poundage

PR: 187.5 not including apparatus

Currently: No idea I let my brother borrow back in the spring and hadn't used in months before then

Oldguy, what can you pull on the Rolling Thunder without a hook grip?

New as in unused Snott! :help

Yeah, as in THIS IS WHAT THEY WILL USE IN THE COMP! :dry

Of course... maybe I can talk them into using mine!! :D

mine is a home made job with 2 3/8th diameter, it rolls smoothly, what is the Ironmind dia? I don't use it much and I don't remember the first try but I'm at 175lb now.

My buddy who doesn't do piss for training came out to visit when I just got my handle and he locked out 180 without a lot of grief. After a few sessions with it, I have yet to even budge that much. :blink

I've tried one only once or twice. I managed 167.5 on a new plastic model. I had already been training grip for a while, though very little thickbar. I intend to buy Fat Bastard's Crusher (2 1/2" model) here shortly. I'd like to improve my thickbar a bit.

152.5 first and only time, that was in March.

Now i'm working thickbar twice a week to try and bring it up...

RIP Mopsy... just over a year is way too young...

135 was my best when I first got it. I have not done any training with it in months, had just been working crush with grippers only, and pulled 160 a couple of weeks ago. Thickbar is one area that I want to improve after I finish a few gripper related items.