First Try with PDA's "Turk"

Tom Black

I just wanted to let everyone know that I just purchased PDA’s

Turk and I am very satisfied with the implement.  When I received it I immediately measured the circumference to see how it compared to my “3-inch” wooded handle.  The "Turk" is, of course, exactly a 3-inch diameter handle.  The diameter of my wooden one is 2.9”, which translates to a circumference 3/8 less than a true 3” handle.  Today I did some sets on the "Turk" and did the following:

1x74.5, 74.5, 84.5, 94.5, 99.5, 102-pounds

Even though the "Turk" is thicker than my wood handle, it has knurling and thus affords a better gripping surface.  My results on the "Turk" were very close to my results on the wooden handle (I did not attempt 105, maybe next week).   Sadly, I had to cut Friday’s grip workout short because I had a injury to my left hand.  I am healing miraculously well, but suspect that I will not be doing anything with my left hand in next week’s workout.

I guess I was a little vague about the injury, it’s hard to talk about these things.  I somehow put too much pressure on my left palm with the tip of a nail.  I bruised the palm of my hand with a nail (it was a big nail), and my hand is cramped up.  My hands are very resilient, I might be able to bend next weekend, but you can tell from my log that I sometimes skip a major exercise.  Next week may be the week to skip the bending.

Guest Gordon Cooper

Tom, what sort of lift? Ground clearance, a suitcase or straddle deadlift?

I'v started adding one handed thick bar lifts to my workout and am curious how far you have progressed from your first attempts.

All the lifts were straddle deadlifts.  I lifted everything up to the 99.5 about as far up as you can go in a one hand deadlift, about the same as the third picture down on this page (that’s my wooden covered 3” handle, not the Turk).  The 102-pounds didn’t quite make it all the way up, maybe a foot off the ground.  This is because I live in a Condo and didn’t want to drop it!  Gosh, I’m a gripaholic, I want to go and pick it up NOW!

I’ve only trained on the 3-inch wood covered dumbbell handle for about 8 months.  I’ve looked through my workout book and found my PR from 6/24/00 was only 85-pounds.  I’ve increased 20-pounds in 8 months, but most of my training has NOT been on the 3” dumbbell, but on related lifts.  I think the “dumbbell juggle” that I’ve been doing might be helping (see the Black Log).