Rolling Thunder Tips

Bill Piche

When I spoke to Laine he was doing a warm up and then 2 hi rep sets. That was it.

This routine has worked for me well. I just pulled 90 kilos (not counting the loading pin and the handle) for the first time. That's 11 kilos improvement in couple of months.

Thanks for this idea, Laine and Steve! :rolleyes

• Like 1

• 2 months later...

Is there a copy of the entire contest conditions and rules for RT lifts anywhere here? There's a number of factors that are not mentioned in the rules on the IM site that I am not really 100 percent sure about.

• Like 1

Ask.

LOL :D I guess that would be the obvious thing to do!!

But use the search function, first, or Steve'll shout at you!

I actually did do a search and found a few things but nothing that gave an official yes or no.

OK then. Here's a few q's -

I have read about and seen in lifts the 'tilt' of the handle and just believed it was part of an accepted technique to improve the lift, much like an over / under grip for deadlifts. However, upon reading here, I get the impression that is frowned upon. Is that officially not allowed at a WR attempt?

If the non rotating part of the handle touches any part of the clothing or the leg at the top of the lift, does that disqualify it? I know the hand is not allowed to touch the non rotating part and assume the leg is not allowed to come in contact with the handle to help with the lift.

Lastly, I am aware that an older handle 'seasons' and is easier than a brand new one. Do they continue to get easier or is there a point where they 'bed in' and stay at the same level? My RT handle is still pretty new and doesn't really feel any easier than when I first got it yet. I have trained with it less than a dozen times.

Ask.

LOL :D I guess that would be the obvious thing to do!!

But use the search function, first, or Steve'll shout at you!

I actually did do a search and found a few things but nothing that gave an official yes or no.

OK then. Here's a few q's -

I have read about and seen in lifts the 'tilt' of the handle and just believed it was part of an accepted technique to improve the lift, much like an over / under grip for deadlifts. However, upon reading here, I get the impression that is frowned upon. Is that officially not allowed at a WR attempt?

If the non rotating part of the handle touches any part of the clothing or the leg at the top of the lift, does that disqualify it? I know the hand is not allowed to touch the non rotating part and assume the leg is not allowed to come in contact with the handle to help with the lift.

Lastly, I am aware that an older handle 'seasons' and is easier than a brand new one. Do they continue to get easier or is there a point where they 'bed in' and stay at the same level? My RT handle is still pretty new and doesn't really feel any easier than when I first got it yet. I have trained with it less than a dozen times.

In short:

1) a slight tilt is ok but anyone asking is obviously thinking of using it so it's a no-no.

2) try and keep the handle away from the body - rotating or otherwise

3) yes they get easier. WR attempts use a new handle every time.

In short:

1) a slight tilt is ok but anyone asking is obviously thinking of using it so it's a no-no.

2) try and keep the handle away from the body - rotating or otherwise

3) yes they get easier. WR attempts use a new handle every time.

Thanks Steve :)

• 4 months later...

what do you guys think of doing pullups with two rolling thunder?

i train my hole body but i want to make the exercises more effective and so instead of doing pullups and rt lifts, i just mixed both.

regular pullups seem to be no problem but usually i do the pullups with additional weight so i´ll see tonight how(if) it works....

• 4 weeks later...

dear friends,

I am a beginner in gripsports. my favorites are apollon's axle and rolling thunder - and in a far future the inch-dumbbell.

i would like to ask the experts: on a good day i am able to lift 70 kg with the rolling thunder (on bad days about 60 kg).

do you think, 90 kg can be a goal for the next two years? or is this too much?

kind regards

walter "unequipped"

Edited by unequipped

dear friends,

I am a beginner in gripsports. my favorites are apollon's axle and rolling thunder - and in a far future the inch-dumbbell.

i would like to ask the experts: on a good day i am able to lift 70 kg with the rolling thunder (on bad days about 60 kg).

kind regards

walter "unequipped"

Impossible to say of course . As a beginner, you should experience a very quick gain which is usually fairly significant due to neuro muscular education etc - then things will level off and you'll have to train hard for a longer period to keep making progress - there's simply no way to predict how far one can go until you get there. But.... this I can say - if you believe that 90K will be your limit, it will be, The mind leads and the body follows.

dear friends,

kind regards

walter "unequipped"

At age 50, after 5 years of grip I could pull 177 on the Rolling Thunder. At age 52, I did 209. At age 45, I figured the most I could POSSIBLY do was 200 some day. Don't sell yourself short, and don't set your goals too low.

• Like 1

• 3 years later...

i have a bit of a newb question... I apologize in advance for it...

my rolling thunder was made by a machinist friend of mine and was supposed to be to spec withthe iron mind one. i measured mine the other day, its been a long time since ive touched it, or even trained grip at all. it was 8 inches around. arent the inch replica and the rolling T 7.5 around?

and i know its impossible to put an exact number on it due to a bunch of factors but how much difference do you guys think that .5" would make? i have pretty big hands, 9 inches from bottom of the palm to middle finger tip. im mostly wondering i guess if id have a serious shot at the inch since ive never tried it but would love to. i just dont know how well the rolling T numbers carry over into 172 lb inch handle. i lifted 194 right hand and 186 left the other day when i dusted it off. 5 lb PR right handed and 10 lb pr left.

thanks guys!

• 8 years later...

i find wrist strength to be extremely important for rolling thunder.  doing thumbless work on the rolling thunder or on a even bigger handle has had a big carry over to my regular rolling thunder numbers.  also working for sets of 3-5 not just focusing on maxing out singles every week

• Thanks 1

• 1 year later...