Forearm Development In Relation To Grip Strength

Guest MonStar1023

Guest MonStar1023

I am curious what kinda ratio do you all think goes hand in hand when it comes to grip strength and actual forearm development. I am looking to increase my overall grip strength but I am also really maybe even more trying to thicken up my forearms by a lot... I am not really sure what's more important but will farmer's walks and chin-bar hangs thicken up my forearms as well as increase my grip strength?

I say go with a wrist roller too.  Roll it both ways until you can't do anymore.  

• 4 weeks later...
Guest kINGPIN

Chin bar hangs are not a bad basic exercise to start with.  But bodyweight dos'nt seem to be enough.  I used to hang about 30 kilos off a weight belt and hang and feel that I did make quite good strength gains, though remember to keep the back muscles flexed.  

Wrist rolling is a beuty of an exercise for the forearms and in my opinion is better for the forearms them wrist curls and the like as you can go to complete failure with minimal danger.

IMHO I do not think that grip work builds the forearms as much as we would like it to but the strength that can be acheived is something that can only help to pack on mass.  Personally I count forearm and grip work under different catagories now but I put them under the same workout.

• 3 months later...

MonStar,

What workout routine are you doing NOW to increase your forearm size?

• 4 months later...

firstmark,

I like to do the grippers on a totally seperate day.  But, if you do them on the same day, I really don't think that it matters which one you do first.  I believe that the hands can take a lot of punishment and one lift won't suffer too much if you do another one before it.

Guest firstmark

Mj ok would you rest between doing forearm and grip work?

Or just go directly from one to the other.

Grip work involves a little forearm strength to stabalize things so I was wondering if working forearm after grip would be better or if not why not?

You could look at doing forearm and wrist work first as a warm-up for grip work.  My advice is to try it both ways and see which way you like better.  The only rest I take between forearm and grip work is the normal rest I would take between exercises and sets.