Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Thanks. Let see if the addition of the BFN reps helps.

Thursday

CG Bench

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 147.5-kilos x 3, 3, 3, 4 reps (nice surprise)

Bwt: (GN) 20st 1.5lbs

A little later I did the following

2HP @ 44mm

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 75-kilos x 1 rep, plus 80-kilos x 2 x 1 reps, plus 80.5-kilos (about 103-kilos) x 1, 1, 0 reps. Stopped there for today.

I'm hoping the other Brits and Europeans step it up so you have to close bigger grippers in order to win the Brittish/Euros :D

already done ;)

Steve,

When stating the levels on the Vulcan, what method do you use- for instance, if the spring was on notch 7 closest to you when it was in your hand and on notch 8 on the other side, what level would it be? I normally train the Vulcan 1/1 - 2/2- 3/3 - 4/4 - 5/5 - 6/6 for 3 reps left and right and then move on to 6/7 - 7/7 for 3 reps with my left only, and do singles with my right at these settings. (the 6/7 is where the notch closest to me is 6 and the one the other side is 7 - what level is this?)

I am hoping to get my left hand up to 7/8 or 8/8 for reps - do you have any idea what sort of comparison this would be to a CoC4 - how much higher do you think I would have to go to get the same feeling as a 4?

Would it be OK to call over sometime to get some pointers/advise so I can move things on a bit more?

Please let me know,

Laine

Steve,

When stating the levels on the Vulcan, what method do you use- for instance, if the spring was on notch 7 closest to you when it was in your hand and on notch 8 on the other side, what level would it be? I normally train the Vulcan 1/1 - 2/2- 3/3 - 4/4 - 5/5 - 6/6 for 3 reps left and right and then move on to 6/7 - 7/7 for 3 reps with my left only, and do singles with my right at these settings. (the 6/7 is where the notch closest to me is 6 and the one the other side is 7 - what level is this?)

I am hoping to get my left hand up to 7/8 or 8/8 for reps - do you have any idea what sort of comparison this would be to a CoC4 - how much higher do you think I would have to go to get the same feeling as a 4?

Would it be OK to call over sometime to get some pointers/advise so I can move things on a bit more?

Please let me know,

Laine

Hi Laine, David has the settings/rules on his site as per this link: http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/vulcanrules.html The shorter handle is the one which should be on the palm and the longer one the fingers. On that basis 7 back and 8 front is level 20 or, as I'd log it in L20. 6F and 7R is is level 18 or L18. Ensure you are holding the gripper the right way round and be aware, as has been hinted at, that Paul's and David's and so possibly yours too, might be a little weaker than mine. I was using Paul's when I did the L18. I printed that list off and use it during the training session.

Paul said he thought L18/L19 was about the same as a 4. I'm not so sure and would prefer to guess a little higher say L19/L20. L20 is 8/8. You are more than welcome to come over for pointers and a training session.

For me, level 17 certainly feels harder already than an RGC-measured average #4. :blink I'm thinking it has to be the handle thickness. Vulcan might suit better for individuals with longer fingers I think, where as the handle thickness on the CoC's is what I find most comfortable. I'm saying this only because I'm not too far from the #4 and you brits seem to be more than ready for the average #4, judging by the much harder Vulcan closes you are able to do. I can't imagine how much stronger I should be to perform 3 reps on the Level 19. If I would get to that point I believe I could rep the #4 easily. :blink I'm good for Level 16 only and that's with a 20 mm block set. I guess Vulcan's vary too, but for me it seems to be more about the handle thickness. I also find Vulcan pretty hard to set in comparison to TSG's even with settings I can close.

Steve,

Please let me know,

Laine

Hi Laine, David has the settings/rules on his site as per this link: http://www.davidhorne-gripmaster.com/vulcanrules.html The shorter handle is the one which should be on the palm and the longer one the fingers. On that basis 7 back and 8 front is level 20 or, as I'd log it in L20. 6F and 7R is is level 18 or L18. Ensure you are holding the gripper the right way round and be aware, as has been hinted at, that Paul's and David's and so possibly yours too, might be a little weaker than mine. I was using Paul's when I did the L18. I printed that list off and use it during the training session.

Paul said he thought L18/L19 was about the same as a 4. I'm not so sure and would prefer to guess a little higher say L19/L20. L20 is 8/8. You are more than welcome to come over for pointers and a training session.

Hello Steve,

Not wanting to sound dull, but could you clarify where the "front" and "back" are? Is the "front" spring the one closest to you (nearest your thumb) or is the spring notch farthest away (on the same side as your fingers) ??? See, dull!!!

I am using the Vulcan as you say, long handle finger side - I must say that I have found the Vulcan a great piece of equipment to train with over the past 4 weeks. Also, looking at David's site it says that 8/8 is level 22?

I realise that the springs may be different from Vulcan to Vulcan, the one I have has a red spring which I think is standard.

I will call over for a session soon, I tend to do wrist curls (seated, arms on knees) with A/Axle up to 115kg for sets of 8, then what I call standing finger curls (like Magnus) with a standard Olympic bar up to 105kg for sets of 8, and then move on to the Vulcan for the training that I listed in a previous post. I am training these lifts on a Monday and Thursday. I am not sure if I should do the Vulcan first - but it doesn't feel too bad after doing all the other stuff. Ideally I would like to keep to my normal routine so that I can monitor any progress (or not)

Thank you,

Laine

Long handle should always be finger side and so I call that the front and the shorter handle is the rear and should be palm side. You are correct. 8/8 is 22.

I've found I do better on grippers if I do them first as crush grip work doesn't take much off of thick bar (AA in your case) or pinch (for me).

As and when you come it'd be more about finesse than anything - just swapping pointers and seeing if we can learn. It's fore that reason I'm giving Paul's 'BFN' reps a go.

Steve,

What is "BFN"?????.... I am a bit of a Gripper virgin, and haven't heard of that one I can only assume it means "bloody f***ing near" but I might be wrong.

Please let me know,

Laine

Laine, how do you do your fingercurls?

Underhandgrip? Overhandgrip?

Hello Honk,

I saw them on Magnus's DVD and do them as he does them. Standing, double overhand grip, let the bar down to the end of the fingers, curl the bar up into the palm, and then do a "vertical" wrist curl. They seem to work well - I think that I have been up to 115kg for 8 reps in previous training cycles - I couldn't tell you if that was good or bad as I haven't heard of anyone else doing them.

Thank you for your interest,

Laine

BFNs are 'bounce forced negatives' I believe, so you force the gripper shut by assisting with your free hand, fight to hold it, then force it back in again, i.e. 'bounce' it.

I remember the vulcan settings as going up by 3 when moving the springs up both notches, i.e. L1, 4, 7, 10, 13, 16, 19, 22, then moving the rear (palm) spring up gives the easier of the two intermediate settings.

Saturday

Seated machine press

1/2 stack x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, plus 60-kilos x 6 reps, plus 75-kilos x 5 reps

DB Curls

10-kilo@ x 8 (H) reps, 17.5-kilos @ x 8 (H) reps, 25-kilos x 3 x 7 (H) reps H = hammer style

TPD

stack x 8 reps, stack plus 25-kilos x 8 reps, plus 50-kilos x 2 x 8 reps

Bwt: 281.5lbs

I also did some gripper work including some fun with 'inverting' a gripper he he:

Vulcan Gripper

Again using Paul's Vulcan gripper

BH: L1 x 6 reps, L7 x 3 reps

L/H: L10 x 1, L13 x 1, L14 x 1, L15 x VN, L14 x... god knows as I became involved in coaching so session was cut off.

R/H: L12 x 1, L17 x 1, L18 x 1, L19 x 1 plus 2 more attempts without me remembering what the hell I did. Also an attempt at the 4.01 rated IM CoC 4 x 2mm.

Then, for fun, we did the video. I'm getting quite used to the playing around with Windows movie maker so hence tone, tune and fade in and fade out etc.

"Interesting" choises for tags on the video.. :D

I know. What's the betting I get loads of views though ha ha. :D

Sunday

Went and did another, this time proper, Vulcan Gripper workout. I also mopped our platform, swept up and clean out the WC etc in between. In a kind of strange super set ha ha. Paul's gripper as before. I did, however, note that while my grippers uprights are perfectly in-line with each other, notch six on the back directly opposite notch six on the front, his are a fraction out. I wonder if others are similar.

Vulcan Griupper work

B/H: L1 x 6 reps, L7 x 3 reps

L/H: L10 x 1 rep, L13 x 1 rep (E), L14 x 1, VN, 1, VVN, VVN, 1 rep

R/H: L12 x 1 rep, L17 x 1 (H), then 6 x 1 reps

H = hard and E = easy

Monday

Thick pinch day today. A piss poor weekend gave me a nasty mind set which can be just right for an ass kicking workout. So it was.

Thick pinch

Using 2 x 15-kilo plates (see equipment at the top of the photo) and the end of an Olympic bar weighing 4.10-kilos I did the following:

34.10-kilos x 6 reps

54.10-kilos x 3 reps

74.10-kilos x 1 rep

94.10-kilos x 0 reps

I changed to the 90-kilos disc (see weight plate at bottom of the photo, with a light loading pin at 1.6-kilos and 2 x 2.5-kilo plates) and did as follows:

96.6-kilos x 10 x 1 reps. Nice deep burn.

Here's what I used to work thick pinch today:

http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/6679/th...nchtoolsta9.jpg

Edited by mobsterone

Monday pm

CG Bench Press

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 147.5-kilos x 4 x 4 reps

Lat Pull downs

80-kilos x 8 reps, 120-kilos x 6 reps, 155-kilos x 3 x 6 reps

Tough.

strong workouts! nice steady improvement on the bench. too right about a nasty mind set - always helps!

I'm still working every night but have a week off next week (mon-fri) so i'll be in gloucester for a session then!

Wednesday

Leg day and as per back/sciatica playing me up something chronic. But, again as per, I took extra care stretching and warming up.

Leg Ext

0-kilos x 8 reps@, 80-kilos x 8 reps, 145-kilos x 8 reps, 175-kilos x 8 reps.

Leg Curl

25-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 8 reps, 55-kilos x 6 reps

Leg Press

0-kilos x 8 reps @ (working mostly on depth and locking out), 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 580-kilos* x 8 reps (hands on knees) + 8 reps (hands off), x 8 reps on pad (deeper).

* = The pain in the back meant I had no problems with 90% of the leg movement except locking out. On the heaviest set I decided to push off of the safeties - keeping them locked in position. This would allow me to crawl out without being crushed if my back went pop. However, the range was less than I'd normally do (by a few inches) so I added our 6-inch thick (still slightly damp so covered with a towel) high density foam pad to increase the range of movement. Thus on the heaviest weight I was able to push from the safeties from the depth I wanted. Depth on heavy, heavy sets is usually to at least a right angle (thigh to calf). I like to go to the bottom (or as far as I can and the machine allows) on the other sets.

http://img390.imageshack.us/img390/213/legandpad1cg8.jpg

Edited by mobsterone