Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

I spent pretty much all of yesterday in Devon with the lads. Some were competing, some watching and some, like me, got lumbered with loading and resetting. God I was hungry by the end (having planned on doing nothing but eat and taking photos I got to do none of the first and a little of the second).

As I'd missed out on thick bar deadlift work on Saturday and my back was sore etc etc I did them today. I need to practice more pulling from the floor than thick bar work so did more of that.

Monday

Sumo double over hand grip deadlifts

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 4 reps, 120-kilos x 1 rep, 140-kilos x 1 rep, 160-kilos x 6 x 1 rep (felt dizzy as before on a few) but got better as I did more. I can nigh on row the weight pass my knees it's just that lower back again.

30mm bar in rack holds using double over hand grip

bar (27) plus 80-kilos x 1 rep, plus 120-kilos x 1 rep, plus 160-kilos x 1 rep, plus 200-kilos x several single reps held for time.

Edited by mobsterone

It is for me. I am as weak as piss off the floor with my back etc. Also having not done any for years hasn't helped. Plus, obviously, hand strength is the last issue I need to worry about here. While I doubt it wont be the winning weight if I can do 160-170 on the day, lock it out and get it down I'll be happy. The rest of the lifts are another matter.

I'm pushing my luck with recovery etc at the mo but will be resting tomorrow. I say that as we have a very special guest coming to do grip and I may be required to show him how but will not take it to workout levels. My lower back is v nice and sort and so I need to be careful. That said...

Monday PM

GN: I didn't get to use the rack, the bar or the plates I wanted so it was all over the place.

CG Bench - max

Bar (a thicker than usual bar which I think weighs 22-24? We have one so i need to check what it is) x 8 reps, 20-kilos a side (62-64) x 8 reps, 40-kilos a side (102-104) x 6 reps, 60-kilos e/s (142-144) x 1 rep. Then 70-kilos e/s (162-164) x 1 rep. being sure it was heavier I changed the weight to 67.5-kilos e/s (157-159) x 4 x 1 reps. Not so bad but not easy either. Dropped to 60-kilos e/s (142-144 again) x 3 reps and that was that. I'd wanted more so was a little off.

Bwt: considering I more or less starved yesterday 20st dead.

V special guest, eh? Hmmm!

What are you doing about your back? Therapy? Lower back workouts? Painkillers? You're lucky, you know where your weak point is, what are you doing to fix it?

P.S. How tall are you?

Steve what competition in Devon was this?

re my PM One of my mates is gonna do the gloucester-stanstead drive so you need not worry about the coach. I'm still going to book a coach for us both from stanstead to gloucester though (the return one).

Edited by CoC#3

Tom Jones Team event. Loz and Rob Frampton did a 2 man thick bar deadlift (with straps) with 740-kilos.

goals for euros based on recent workouts

3.4-3.5ish LH and RH grippers

95kg pinch

100-110kg R and L one hand DL.

160kg DO axle DL.

90kg-95kg RT R and L

Sam's goals

Mine:

Grippers

L 3.29 (maybe a little more) R 3.81 = 7.10

Pinch

107.5 maybe more if in the zone.

One hand deadlifts

L 135 R 145 Again possibly better but the last few workouts haven't been as good as they could have been. In the past I've done more.

DO Axle deadlift

160-170 The lower back is the main issue here over hand strength. That said I need to pull quickly rather than slowly because holding 200 isn't a problem but if I life slowly I need to hold it longer. I've also done very little lowering being more worried about locking out.

TLRT

L 95 total R 100-105 total = 200+ combined. Sessions have all been around this. I'm more disappointed I've not added to the weight rather than only lifting 190-200 total on a regular basis.

Twig: you probably know who our guest is. I think the GB boys and gals will love the idea of him training grip. Today is all about giving him a few small tweaks to take him up another notch. If it works I think no one will get near to his record for 20 years.

Edited by mobsterone

Twig: you probably know who our guest is. I think the GB boys and gals will love the idea of him training grip. Today is all about giving him a few small tweaks to take him up another notch. If it works I think no one will get near to his record for 20 years.
I think you're right.

One of many sessions this last week.

Sunday pm

Back to the gym after much umming and ahhing for some 2HP. Hands still a little off with both over training and skin still torn/sore being the reason. The first few heavy singles were nice n shaky ha ha. The rest ok, with a small square of tissue doing it's job at the base of my left thumb, except for the very last rep which was very much touch and go so stopped. I'll have to take a look to see where 12 x 1 with 97-kilos is in regards to PB's for volume.

2HP @ 44mm

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 1 rep, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 75-kilos (97 approx) x 12 x 1 reps as above comments. On the last 2-3 reps my hands started to cramp a little on the little finger sides of my palms.

Trained this morning on TLRT and tonight, my last session before the event, on Grippers. It was good.

Monday pm

Grippers

B/H: (as per) CoC 1 x 6 reps @, HG200 x 1 rep, CoC 2 x 1 rep, HG300 x 1 rep

L/H: GM x 1 rep (solid), CoC 3 x 1 (solid), VN, VVN, 1, VVN, 1, VVN, VVN as my 3 is similar to the 3.29 used in events I'm happy with this.

R/H: CoC 3 x 1 rep, BBE x 1 rep, HG350 x 1 rep, CoC 3.5 x 1, 1, 1, VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN reps As my 3.5 seemed harder than Sam's (used the other day for 12-14 singles) again this is more than ok. I just need to get my 3.5 CCS attempt in the right place as I also wanna go to 3.81 (with a paralell set) at the event if I am feeling good.

Edited by mobsterone

That's the plan. I'm resting up today after some work and errands and will stretch tomorrow and Thursday.

Good stuff with the LH! 5 days before the brits, you were, as you know, still a hair of your #3 and you still got the 3.29 on the day. Who knows maybe more this time? ;) See ya soon mate.

It's annoying but at the same time ok to peak now. I'd like something about a 3.29 this time.

It's annoying but at the same time ok to peak now. I'd like something about a 3.29 this time.

That should have read 'above' not about.

Steve,

Good luck - I hope it goes well for you.

Laine

Cheers.

Ok, some numbers for myself from my very roughly wrote on plan for the competition. Details etc later.

What I did

Grippers.

Left: 3.01??

Right: 3.54??

2 Hand Pinch

ended up at 95 which started the 4 wins in a row but I was using 48, it didn't take chalk well etc etc . Me no like but me do enough to kick butt. However Gabriel and the other top 4 were 4% behind me!!

Axle

can't remember what the previous lifts were but I think 3rd attempt was 155 (cos it looks like that in the photo) and then 170. Straight after I was all like 'man I could have got 180 and I'd won with 150 odd). I think 2nd was 150-155ish so I started to pull away properly here by making them have lower percentages of my scores.

One hand deadlift

Left: 110, 115, 120 missed and so taken again for 120

Right: 110, 120, 127.5, 135 good.

Thumbless RT

Left: 80, 85, 90, 95 (I think - I may have missed 95)

Right: 80, 90, 100, missed 110. I think I'd more or less won when I did 90 r and 85 left on this event.

Well done Steve and Sam :rock