Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

I'm resting and healing for 10 or so days (although I will use the grippers and I am helping out at Fitness Expo 2005 at Olympia next weekend). After that we'll see.

Andy has some Intensefitness 'blobs' and block weights and one of them had to be a good 6-inchs across. I'm not sure if it was 45 or 50 lbs but I managed a one finger and thumb only pull from the floor with either hand and apparantly was the only one there who could do it.

It's a 45 lber and I've never seen anyone lift it more than a few inches off the ground with their whole hand! Having said that, I can't get my whole hand across it and have to do it with just three fingers, the index being unable to reach.

One finger and thumb? :bow

Monday

Grippers

The skin of my right hand, both Sunday and this am, felt a little sore after the competition on Saturday so I didn't do any work until today.

Doing sets of 6 x 1 I did

Left hand: CoC 1 x 6 x 1, HG200 x 6 x 1, HG 300 x 6 x 1 and finally 'assisted' near-closes with a CoC 3

Right hand:CoC 1 x 6 x 1, HG200 x 6 x 1, HG 300 x 6 x 1 and finally assisted near-closes (down to 6mm at best) with Jim's CoC 4

A nice filling lunch and busy following up WC work for our company and it was...

Wednesday

Grippers (again)

As per earlier posts I'm only doing grippers while the back recovers (physio last night).

B/Hands: CoC 1 6 x 1, HG200 6 x 1, HG300 6 x 1. Followed by:

L/hand: CoC 3 x attempts

R/Hand:CoC 3 6 x 1 and then a CoC 4 (JW's) 3 attempts with the best being 3mm :D

It's just occured to me that I can do some more wrist roller work while my back recovers as there's no back involved - kewl. :happy I'll give a spin in a while.

and then a CoC 4 (JW's) 3 attempts with the best being 3mm  :D

It must be a nice feeling, to close in on the #4 like that. Sure - the last part is the toughest but still you are getting real close. Impressing! :bow

//Jim

Not as sweet as being added to the list will be. Years back, when closing the CoC 3 before certifying, I had the 'fun' of going to Pullum Sports and failing. It took ages before I did it again. I need to be 100% on any CoC 4. Thanks for the support.

I can see why. I almost failed when I certified - didn't make it with my right hand, but fortunately my left was strong enough that day! It would have felt awful to have to go home after such a failure.

//Jim

Wednesday

Grippers With these I took the (JW) CoC to 3mm on my best R/H effort.

W/Roller (3" thick) to 47.5-kilos x 3 x 1 Tough? Oh yes. The skin on the outside of the thumb pads felt like it was going to tear.

I also trained Monday but only went to 32.5-kilos on the W/Roller. Today I was 'do three reps or three singles and add a 5-kilo disc and see what happens'. I kept doing this until the thumbs were slipping.

Steve

How many scoopes of your whey protein do I need to mix up per drink?

There's no straight forward answer. It is based on your protein requirements, against your intake from whole foof (av between 70-90g a day for most people). As I know you weigh 220 lbs / 100-kilos and I allow 1g per lb = 220g protein - 70-90 = 130-150g supplemental protein or (using our 75% WPC) or 175-200g of powder divided by 2-3 drinks a day (best one is post workout) 60-66g of powder per drin x three drinks a day will be enough to maintain your bodyweight, help you recover well from training and harden you up. There's a whole article about this on my whey company forums website.

Wednesday

I went with a buddy and his better half to a Holmes Place (fern palace style gym) and by the gods I was as weak as a kitten. Two weeks away from the weights and I was only using half the girly man stacks on their machines. I even felt a little light-headed!

I tried two-leg leg pressing but not a chance. So I switched to one leg only and could barely move the weight without feeling it in my back... :(

Today

There's 13 weeks to go to the European (poss date 20th August) and so I went out and brought myself a cheap little workout diary/notebook. I worked out what I want to be doing in 13 weeks and divided what I think I can do now and by then by 13. As an example I thought 160-kilos max single right handed v-bar against a starting weight (for 12 reps) of 80-kilos (plus the bar) = 6.15-kilos per week (rounded up to 6.25-kilos).

Two-hand pinch

So I decided today would be two-hand pinch (max width) x equipment only x 12 reps. As my back still has the slipped disc (a tear on the soft disc makes a bulge on the disc push against the nerve bundle thus giving you pain in the sciatic nerve = numbness and pain in the left glute, outer left thigh and outer left foot in my case) I deliberately tried different styles and the best one was with an upright back (barely any bend at all) and very wide feet spacing (four feet plus). I then added just 5-kilos and did an easy 12 reps again.

I then followed this up with the more difficult v-bar (more so as you have first the weight on one side, then another. Thus you lean whether you like it or not and I felt this in my back).

20-kilos (plus the bar) x 12 reps, 55-kilos (etc) x 12 reps and then 80-kilos x 12 reps (tough on the skin and so I stopped very so often).

My left thumb still has a blister from the w/rolling of Wednesday. I am also sore in the chest and back from training at Holmes Place. I will be using very light training weights for the next few weeks and doing a lot higher reps for quite a while.

Friday:

Grippers and short bar bending. I'm swapping some of my fat bastard barbell stock for an equal amount of stashed away challenge bar stock I have managed to source (all 200k+).

Steve,

Why not stop doing the Leg Press, it doesn't seem to be helping the situation?

I was only trying the platform - no weight at all. As you say I think I'll drop it until after the competitions are out of the way (August and September).

Trained Saturday. Sunday at the Extreme Strength 2005 (my company was one of the sponsors etc).

Monday

Grippers and wrist roller. Grippers didn't feel as good as they could have.

W/Roller on the other hand (pun intended he he) was tough but good.

10-kilos x 6 reps, 35-kilos x 4 x 1 reps and 50-kilos x 3 x 1 (super hard on the thumbs). Boy what a pump. It's hard to type this out.

Just back from physio - more needles in my back than pricks in a dartboard.

Went to the gym earlier. No leg pressing.

One hand lift

80-kilos x 6, 120-kilos x 6 and then 180-kilos x 3 x 1 (easyish on the right hard (painful) on the left)

Bench (inc lever machine)

15-kilos a side x 8, 30-kilos a side x 8 and 37.5-kilos a side x 8

Lo-row

45-kilos a side x 8 and 60-kilos a side x 8

Hi-row

30-kilos a side x 8 and 45-kilos a side x 8

Two-hand pinch

equipment only x 12 reps.

added just 10-kilos and did an easy 12 reps again.

v-bar (still felt this slightly in my back).

20-kilos (plus the bar) x 12 reps, 60-kilos (etc) x 12 reps and then 86.25-kilos x 8 reps

Training out by one day as I went to see Mick Hart in hospital (heart attack) so I'll do grippers and bar bending tomorrow a.m.

how's the bending going Steve?

hope your back will be ok for the europeans, you can really do something this year!

Me too and I want to as well. I posted elsewhere that I am swapping some FBBC bars for some c/bars I have found. I'm only getting 200k plus bars.

you mean you can only bend 200+ bars, or you only have access to such bars?

anyhow the 60° bending rule will have us bend much easier bars this year!

do you still use O/U style? I am training DU now, as I don't seem to have as much space problems as I do with O/U (hands coming in the way of each other).

I'll try to explain. This lunch time I used the grippers. Indeed some 2+ hours and a light nap later my hands are still sore. As soon as the gripper work was done I did a little light bar bending (from the easier FBBC stock). I then had a go at the 267.5-kilo rated c bar (I have a few left, maybe 4) and got a dent in it but no more.

I have sourced a few bars from 200-kilos rating to 290-kilos (I have a few of these as well) and am swapping some of the G5's and G8's in my FBBC stock pack with the guy who has a fair bit of David Horne c/bar stock. The person I'm swapping with brought loads some time back and then injured their hand. It was sent of to their attic and they posted an image of the treasure on their site. When I started training on the bars again a light went off, I made a call and today I dragged my lazy arse to the post office and sent them a box weighing 1.25-kilos loaded with some FBBC stock. In return I asked for a good amount of bars from 200-kilos rating to 290-kilos.

I don't want to train on anything easier. So far no pain as well - which is nice :D

28052005111507_bending_stock.JPG