Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

BEAST! I want one if you get them printed!

oh yeah nice camera work photo was taken by a true expert ha ha ;)

Thursday

My back has been in bad shape for a while soI took my sweet time warming up, stretching and so on. I really must book in for some more adjustment.

2 hand pinch @ 44mm

equ x 6 reps (about 22kg), plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 72.5-kilos x 1 rep, plus 75-kilos x missed rep, then half way up, then a solid rep (thank goodness), then the working weight of plus 78-kilos (approx 100 kilos total or 220lb) x 1 (just), 1 (ditto), a missed rep, then 2 x 1 reps (better) for the targetted 4 x 1 reps.

I have probably been over doing this what with the ad-hoc 'fun' comp at our strongman event, then a little go again Monday as opposed to staying on program. As a result the skin at the base of both thumbs is all torn up.

Thumbless R/Thunder

Some adjustments were made with the targetted weight and I may need to do some some maximal (ie: 90%) singles before going for the top weight multiple singles.

B/Hands: 45-kilos/99lbs (plus pin and handle) x 8 reps each

L/Hand: (using a light weight loading pin of about 2-kilos): 80-kilos x 1 rep, 90-kilos x 0, 85-kilos x 1 rep, 87.5-kilos x 1, x 0 (target next time will be either loads with 85 or 86.25)

R/Hand (using the heavier one of about 5.4-kilos): 100-kilos (105.4 total) x 1 easy rep, 1 ok rep, then a missed rep, 95-kilos x 1 easy rep, 97.5-kilos x 2 x 1 ok reps.

Edited by mobsterone

Saturday

Back super tight before hand so lots of warming up

Vulcan Gripper work

B/Hands: L1 x 6 reps @. L7 x 3 reps@

L/Hand: L10 x 1 rep, L12 x 1, 1, 1, 1, 0, 1 reps

R/Hand: L12 x 1 rep, L16 x 6 x 1 reps

both hands max single work s/set with leg work

Leg extensions

70-kilos / 154lbs x 8 reps, 145-kilos / 319lbs x 8 reps, stack (145) plus 5-kilos / 330lbs x 8 reps

Leg Curls (weak on these)

20-kilos / 44lbs x 8 reps, 40-kilos / 88lbs x 8 reps, 45-kilos / 99lbs x 6 reps

Leg Press

hard locking out left leg due to back strain but...

0-kilos per leg (sled only) x 8 reps @, 120-kilos / 264lbs x 8 reps, 240-kilos / 528lbs x 8 reps, 550-kilos / 1210lbs x 4 reps

Close Grip Bench for speed

60-kilos (132lbs) x 8 reps, 100-kilos (220lbs) x 6 reps, 140-kilos (308lbs) x 1, 330lbs x 5 x 1 reps

Lat Pull Downs

70-kilos/154lbs x 8 reps, 140-kilos/308lbs x 8 reps 147.5-kilos (stack and 7.5 added) / 324.5lbs x 6 reps. Using the v-bar handle. s/set with bench

Why no more wrist rolling? Sorry bro started reading your posts but by page 24... well my brain turned to noddles.

Event trainiong for competition takes priority. Use the search function to take out 100's of pages.

Missed the post SEARCH TOPIC on the bottom left... slow burn I know. Appreciate the response, good luck training.

Monday

Thumbless R/Thunder

B/H: 45-kilos on heavy pin x 8 reps @

L/H: 87.5 (accident) on light pin x 1 rep, 85-kilos x 9 x 1 reps (v good)

R/H: 97.5-kilos x 1, 1, 0, 1, 0, 1, 1, 0, 1, 0 all over the place today. The last successful rep was solid as you like and then I missed the next one. Strange

K/Bell

didn't feel like it so did atlas instead

Atlas stone

80-kilos / 176lbs x 3 x 1 to the chest and 3 x 1 onto the platform. The last one made me dizzy. I am real good at picking them up due to the flat handed strength carried over from grip training but rarely, if ever, actually put them onto the 50" platform.

What's Your max DO Axle DL by now? Or do You train fatbar exclusively on the RT? I noticed no Axle work since 20th of June - come on, bro! :D

Apprently missing my comments about back injury problems. I'm in pain today.

Apprently missing my comments about back injury problems. I'm in pain today.

Oh, I feel sorry for You! Heal up soon! :rock

Cheers.

Wednesday

Back still iffy although the more I move about the better it gets. I take ages to stand up but once I'm there it feels ok.

Nutter that I am this has not prevented me from hitting the gym so...

Vulcan Gripper

a little off where I'd have liked to have been but the next lift was on, on, on!

B/H: L1 x 6 reps @, L7 x 3 reps @,

L/H: L10 x 1 rep, L12 x 1, VVN, 1, 1, VVN, VVN, VVN

R/H: L12 x 1, L16 x 0, VVN, L15 x 1, L16 x 1, VVN, VVN, VVN, 1

2HP @ 44mm

Having discussed the merits or otherwise of smaller loaded plates I gave it a spin today. Given the state of my aching back it went very well.

equ x 6 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 72.5-kilos x 1 rep, plus 75-kilos x 1 rep, plus 78-kilos (100kg total approx) x 6 x 1 rep (there was an initial attempt which failed so it would read thus: 0, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1, 1)

Had a visitor down for the latter part of the session, Stewart Killack and went over some tips and techniques. Talked loads!

Back still iffy although the more I move about the better it gets. I take ages to stand up but once I'm there it feels ok.

Sometimes a slowly and easy going 20min run helps a lot! Sounds strange but I made this experience - movement is the key indeed!

it's usually you giving me advice but think i should give you some back..

do NOT stop deadlifting, yes your back is in bad shape, but magnus s back has been in just as bad shape (cant remember the exact details but damaged disks etc) an his deadlift is currently similar to loz's, the same was the case with derek poundstone, his deadlift is even higher etc

you are going about it in the wrong way >150kg might seem like childs play to you with some of the weights you move, but it is still FAR too heavy a weight for you to be using + your doing it with, in your own words 'bloody awful' form (this is not smart steve!!) >you may already know them, but first thing i would do is check the rules of the axle deadlift, cant seem to find them myself but since it is not strongman, i would think it would be done under typical powerlifting rules. If this is the case it would make a great deal of sense to use a sumo style, it requires much more use of the legs & glutes than lower back, an your legs are by far your stength. As per your form in the lift, regardless of if it's powerlifting or strongman rules, you should be aiming to shift the weight with your hips (and quads off the floor in conventional style) more than your back. The way to make this happen is by focusing on keeping the core as tight as possible, suck as much air into your gut before the lift as possible, then tense the abs up HARD while holding your breath through the entire lift. Unless you use a weight your core cant handle, this will make it so it's not possible to bend the lower back (only upper back) & will take a lot of pressure off of it. You should squat down (quickly) in this position an lift the weight as soon as you get your hands on it, when done correctly this will give you more power off the floor & make the weight fly up to the knees (especially with conventional style), leaving you to only push the hips through to complete the lift. Another thing is you said you dont always use a belt (again, not smart steve!!), you are injured, you should be using the blue rehbend belt as well as the usual belt on top - again this tightens up the core/take pressure off the lower back & gives you more power off the floor.

As far as the weights you should be using for the deadlift, the absolute most you should be using right now is 1 plate a side, you cant just go in there an deadlift heavy (or even moderate) weights straight away with your back as it is. If i were you i would be doing 8 sets of 3 reps with a minute of less rest inbetween, this should be done with a very light weight, focusing on proper form. You should be using roughly 50% of your 1rm while maintaining proper form / or you could use the ladders routine h an loz talked of (1,2,3 x 3), with again, very light weight to start with + short rest periods. I would also do a specific style of good mornings, again with very light weight (high weight is never needed with these), mariusz is doing the style im talking of at 2:46 here

when done correctly you should be using zero lower back in this movement, it should be all hamstrings an glutes. I personally recommend doing 5 sets of 6 reps with this, an i would start with only the bar at first, then add very slight amounts of weight as you get nearer the contest.

Your form in other lifts needs to be adapted also (your back never gets proper rest because of them), pinching should always be done with a wider sumo stance, tensed up core, double belted etc protect the back an use your leg strength - squat down, set the grip, an then squat up. I was watching your form in the one hand deadlift, non lifting hand is braced on the leg, but other than that it's not good! using far too much lower back an it started to round - the stance is not wide enough, you need to be squatting the weight up, not pulling it up. Again, big gulp of air, tense the core so it's locked like a brick wall, then squat down, grab the bar, an squat up + none of this throwing weight around like a big gorilla either, you were jerking it about an then lobing it at the floor (again, not smart steve!!), sure it's impressive to look at, but you know you shouldn't be doing it.

For grip strength on the axle i would do shrugs, this will improve upper body back strength also, i would do 3 sets of 8 + i would do timed hangs, put the bar on top of the rack an hang off of it, do this for 30-45 second holds (2 sets is all that will be needed after the shrugs), should end up being tough but never go to complete failure on this an cycle up with weight added (as you do with other exercises) >im not sure you have one or not, but i would do these exercises with a 2.5" bar if you do, it would make it so a 2" feels easy come contest, an you wouldn't have to use as much weight + you will get more benefit from a thicker bar due to your hand size anyways.

Just tensing up the abs so hard on lifts will strengthen them, but you should also be doing extra abdominal work to finish off your training sessions - standing crunches with bands (hook em up to the pull up bar) for sets of 10-15 reps, an whenever others are around to put the weight on the knees, do hanging knee holds, meaning a hanging knee raise but with plate/s put on the knees - use the rubber plates an hold em up till they fall off or are about to (this wont cause the problems with your back as lying leg raises do)

i hope you take note of what ive said here an use it, as ive told you, my back was messed up for a good while but it is not a problem now, an i KNOW you can work around this - you are capable of winning the euros if things go your way, i would hate to see you bomb or token on the deadlift / lose it when you really dont have to.

Keep nagging me - I need it. Note modification below.

Friday

Back still feels Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing awful and so loads of time spent stretching etc and then, when working out, not doing myself in.

Seated Press (s/s with deadlifts)

50-kilos / 110lbs x 8 reps, 75-kilos / 165lbs x 6 reps, 90-kilos / 198lbs x 4 x 1 reps

Thick bar d/o deadlifts

Pulled from 9" blocks and used both a thumb over and a thumbless grip. Had no problems locking out with the 70-kilos but had to slow things down when using the 100-kilos. I was use a 2-inch thick hollow scaffolding tube over a 2" thick solid bar today. I also used a more upright sumo style stance to help take some pressure of the injury.

40-kilos / 88lbs x 8 reps (easy), 70-kilos / 154lbs x 8 reps, 100-kilos / 220lbs x 8 reps (harder), 100-kilos / 220lbs x 4-6 r/pause reps (trying hard to lock out at top)

DB Curls - s/s with triceps

V hard on the final set so ended up doing the second heavy set one arm at a time. Weights only noted - does not inc bar and collar weight.

10-kilos / 22lbs @ x 8 reps, 17.5-kilos / 38.5lbs @ x 8 reps, 25-kilos / 55lbs @ x 2 x 7 reps

Tricep Pressdown

40-kilos / 88lbs x 8 reps, 60-kilos / 132lbs x 8 reps, 85-kilos / 187lbs x 6 reps, x 7 reps

Like the press and deadlifts I was modifying my stance to stop hurting the back. Like curls this made it much harder to do. Still got the work done.

Overall the session was made that much harder by me being Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed up, injured, whathaveyou. The whole time was a question of how much grit, determination and yes stupidity I had to get the work done without slacking off or going light.

As per what I said Wednesday I also believe you need to do the light deads and believe from experience these will help the injury recover and I really think you need to leave that lying leg curl for a while as that really is a bugger for agrevating back injurys even though it doesn't particularly feel like it should be.

Thanks for the help Wednesday, hands/forearms still sore from those catalogues.

Sunday

Decided to train at the other gym I use - Gymnation. There were a bunch of teenagers 'working out', I use that term very loosely. Perhaps 'Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing about on all the machines' would be more appropriate. Bless his heart one approached me after I'd done my last rep on bench and asked for some advice. I asked if he had some kind of program (it had looked as though he and his buddies were using every machine the gym had).

Anyway they had him, sensibly for his age, doing 3 sets of 15 reps, two body parts per session over three sessions. I asked what he'd done today and it seemed to be a little from all three days. So i then asked 'did you do these?' pointing to seated shoulder presses on a machine. He said yes. So I said 'let me give you a feel for what it could really be like...'.

Off we trot and I showed him that there were three different handle grips and had him do 5 reps in each position one after another for two sets. He got that 'oh flabbergastenpoopy' look on his face. The realisation of his going through the motions and then he still had a set to go. Poor sod. I dropped the weight down to a magnificent 11-kilos and pushed him a tiny, tiny bit. He almost looked upset and I explained that that was why he wasn't really being asked to push hard on squats, bench or whatever. I pointed out that he really had only worked his side delt and tricep and yet looked, ha ha, Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ed. No doubt I haven't made a friend and am sure he'll be cursing me when he gets his first taste of delayed onset muscle soreness. He should be grateful it wasn't something hard. :D

One hand deadlifts

B/H: 60-kilos x 3 reps, 100-kilos x 3 reps,

L/H: 120-kilos x 1 rep, 135-kilos x 4 x 1 reps

R/H: 140-kilos x 1 rep, 150-kilos x 1 rep, 155-kilos x 3 missed reps :(

CG bench - max

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 140-kilos x 1 rep, 155-kilos x 4 x 1 reps

As per what I said Wednesday I also believe you need to do the light deads and believe from experience these will help the injury recover and I really think you need to leave that lying leg curl for a while as that really is a bugger for agrevating back injurys even though it doesn't particularly feel like it should be.

Thanks for the help Wednesday, hands/forearms still sore from those catalogues.

My pleasure.

Monday

Feeling 'on' so worked out again.

2HP @ 44mm

Going great guns on this at the mo.

equ x 8 reps, plus 30-kilos x 3 reps, plus 60-kilos x 1 rep, plus 70-kilos x 1 rep, plus 72.5-kilos x 1 rep, plus 75-kilos x 1 rep, plus 78.5-kilos (another new training PB) x 4 x 1 reps. Only the 3rd was touch and go and I then took the whole set up and weighed it on our super scales (accurate to +/- 100g) and it showed 101.6-kilos or 223.52lbs. That means I did more for multiple singles than the man at No 7 of the top 50 of all time spot (he did 101.4). Sweet.

T/L/R/Thunder

need to warm up more to top weights as evidenced by my right hand progress

B/H: 45-kilos on heavy pin x 8 reps each

L/H: 86.25-kilos x 8 x 1 reps using light pin (2-kilos??)

R/H: 97.5-kilos x 0 reps, dropped to 90-kilos x 1 rep, 95-kilo x 1 rep, 96.25-kilos x 1 rep, 97.5-kilos x x 1 reps (actual total weight is 102.9-kilos as pin and set up weighs 5.4kg)

Bwt settled down now at about 274lbs or so.

Great pinching!!

I'm very happy with it and checked it all twice and then still weighed it to be be sure.

I'm very happy with it and checked it all twice and then still weighed it to be be sure.

:D Yeah - sometimes You can't believe it! I know what You are talking about!! :rock

Wednesday

V/Gripper

B/H: L1 x 6 reps, L7 x 3 reps

L/H: L10 x 1 rep, L12 x VN, 1, 1, VN, VN, VN, VVN

R/H: L12 x 1 rep, L16 x 7 x 1 reps

Leg Ext

70-kilos x 8 reps, 105-kilos x 8 reps, 150-kilos x 8 reps

Leg Curl

20-kilos x 8 reps, 40-kilos x 8 reps, 45-kilos x 8 reps

Leg Press

0-kilos x 12 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 550-kilos x 8 reps

CG Bench - speed day

60-kilos x 8 reps, 100-kilos x 6 reps, 140-kilos x 1 rep, 150-kilos x 6 x 1 reps (4 of which felt easy)

L/P/Down

70-kilos x 8 reps, 140-kilos x 8 reps, 147.5-kilos x 7 reps

NB: a lot of sets were supersetted with other exercises to allow longer rests.