Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

I will make a decision as to whether or not I will compete in the European after the British and may well take note of the injuries etc I get when close to my max strength and like David Horne retire from competitive gripping at 40.

What is this old guy (no offence Old Guy :D ) talk that you and David revert to at times. I am 42 and stronger overall in my grip than ever before. I will kick ass when I am 50 :mosher . Cut down on the one hand lift and you will feel much better. I would not do this particular lift more frequently than every ten days or so, maybe even less frequently.

Mikael,

I know that I had quite a bad shoulder problem caused by bending that has now totally gone now I do no bending. I also had a problem in my trap that was caused one day whilst repping on the One Hand Lift, this has basically gone now as well. The pinch never really caused any problems only some skin tear, this was the least injurious event for me, and one I'm still doing some work on.

Glad I'm just a spectator now, I think I've done my piece.

European Champion and 9 times British Champion. Just thought I'd let the guys know what to aim for! :yikes

David

I was getting problems in the trap with the one hand stuff which I had some work done on. I'm STILL getting over the lower back injury. I also tore up the skin on the right hand today doing some more pinch work - nowt major and something of a battle scar.

I'm trying my best to work around the problem and am open to suggestions for a training program for the next 4 and a half weeks. PM me if you need indications of weights etc.

Still struggling with the back injury. I took some painkillers for the first time today (2 x 400mg Ibruprofen) and also used a Radox muscle soak bath as well. It seemed to ease off a little and so the gripper work I did 2 days ago was repeated in the a.m.

This afternoon I did some two hand pinch work with the wound taped up and then some rolling thunder. I wasn't able to do the higher rep work I wanted to do and didn't want to risk my back with the v bar work (maybe Sunday or Monday?).

As it currently stands (completely dependant on my back problem) I'm a three trick pony rather than the 5 trick pony I was hoping for in that I'm only doing grippers, pinch and r/thunder. As soon as there is any back recovery I may be able to train one hand lifts and v-bar again.

Steve, do you not think that your lower back problems might be related to your very heavy leg presses? Many people believe that doing leg presses can injure the back.

Amongst other things yes. My physio mentioned this the last time and said it is what I call the turn around in that as you stop the weight and begin to bring it back up that is the point where there is the most stress. As a result I stopped going right down to the bottom on all the warm up sets and making sure it is a controlled movement on all working sets. Of course I have also been doing the same top weight - as the machine wont carry any more.

I suspect the real problem is doing the heavy leg presses and then, at the end of the workout, one hand lifts on a tired back. Right now recovery is the only issue and remains so until the competition.

Gotta catch Johan, Gotta catch Johan, Gotta catch Johan, Gotta catch Johan... 171 kilos hot damn!!

Training late on a Saturday night (9pm) and my back clicked as I warmed up on my bike (I leant over to cough) and although it's by no means cured it does seem free'r. I'm still taking the tabs and I'll have another soak tomorrow (coffee and the paper ahh) but I did blast through my training session

Seated press to 35 kilos a side x 3

EZ C/Curls to 31.25 kilos a side x 4

CG Bench to 58.5 kilos a side x 2 x 1

Leg raises (strengthen lower stomach and support back) 2 x 15

I'm covered in chalk dust once again trying out a new idea on the v-bar. There was two to try but bizarrely I cannot do one but the other seems to work.

Without giving too much away I pulled a new PB (in and out of competition) this am which would put me in a higher position on the all time list. I'm gonna keep working on the idea and see if it bares more 'fruit'. Still not up to Johan's amount but I'm inspired.

Gotta catch Johan, Gotta catch Johan, Gotta catch Johan, Gotta catch Johan... 171 kilos hot damn!!

I would not worry too much about 171.5k. Lifting big weights in training is one thing, doing it in competition on command is quite another. Johan's PR in competition is 295k (145+150). Johan's biggest obstacle for taking the European title is a documented lack of ability to put it all together on competiton day. This he needs to fix. I always set my PR's in competition which is why Johan has never beaten me in competition. Having said that, I did my last comp. in December 2003 and by that time Johan was closing the gap at an alarming rate. :help

• Like 1

Naturally you're right but, with four weeks to go, the better in training the better in competition.

• 2 weeks later...

10 days later.

Well I'm still training but... It's been three weeks now and the back hasn't gotten any better. I have had two lots of sports massage and one of physio (with another due this Friday). I've literally been back from the docs 10-15 minutes and he's given me Diclofenac Sodium (50mg) to be taken 3 x 1 tab a day.

When I can train I'm doing:

Grippers - as you'd imagine these do not irritate my back what so ever and so I am doing what I can with these.

Rolling Thunder - being trained once or twice a week depending on the discomfort I'm in and is ok. I suspect without the issue of the bad back it'd be a little higher but the poundages are still high.

V - bar. Sub-maximal weights and a little down on what it was but I'm trying to do a mini-cycle and see if I can get back to the 150-kilo plus efforts I had 2 weeks back (when I pulled a lump of skin of my middle finger, right hand)

Two hand pinch - this is also down from where it was but is slowly coming back

One hand lift - not trained at all. This, plus the heavy leg presses, would certianly put me back. I'm hoping for either 1) a 3 of the 5 lifts done well enough or 2) carry over from the training I am doing to keep me up there.

I'm doing no lower body stuff at all at the moment and all training is being done in my home gym

Steve, I've done nothing over the last two weeks due to one thing and another so don't worry. My cheques also still gotta get to Andy so I might not be in it all!

Take it easy and see you in a few weeks.

I'm not at all worried about competition as I am about how hard I am Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.ing myself up. Yesterday I did RT and V bar work and the middle finger started bleeding againn and just today (some physio again this morning) I noticed the skin open up again but this time no blood as I did gripper work. I've got another physio appt next week as well as a sports massage session again after that. I said to the physio 'I've doen no one hand lifts' and he said 'you should, I need a new porsche' Four score and seven years ago I am the MAN because I swear and I want everyone to know how manly I am by using profanity.er ha ha.

I think David's line about 'the one that can hold it together' is spot on. I've got scar tissue at the base of my thumbs from pinching, scar tissue on the finger, a back that has seen me off work for two weeks and still aching (right now) and a small fortune spent on back work and tablets of one kind or another. But I'm still training, still want to win and still coming. :whacked

You could well be right. What I have done in the past is as much as possible up to 3-4 days out then zero. By the time the comp comes round I am sooooo ready to workout and lift weights.

Two hand pinch work today. Not where it was before the injuries but coming back. The skin at the base of the thumbs is torn up but no blood today. I worked up to a sub-maximal weight and did 5-6 x 1 and then dropped some weight and held it for as long as I could just off the floor (elbows resting on my knees) and exhausted what ever was left.

I'll do my normal Saturday night workout later. I'm deliberately maintaining the weight and reps at the same as they have been for 3 weekends now and will be for 2 more.

tried the grippers last night for the first time in a few weeks and my hard #3 felt easy. This is really wierd as I have done hardly any training on the grippers. I think I might be close to no-setting it soon. Is that still a good feat with a #3?

tried the grippers last night for the first time in a few weeks and my hard #3 felt easy.  This is really wierd as I have done hardly any training on the grippers.  I think I might be close to no-setting it soon.  Is that still a good feat with a #3?

It's worse than you think. This is MY training log. Get yer own. :trout

If you are ripping off skin every time you do the v-bar, you are not positioning your hand optimally. I can do up to 15 sets before blisters are forming.

And this is helpful how?

Let's see if we can breakdown the why's and wherefores:

1) I'm making up for lost time and so am training more frequently than you do. ie: I'm doing 1-2 times a week and you do the lift once every 10 days??

2) From both PM's and this post you do a lot more sub-maximal reps and sets than I do. But on the list I'm higher up (4th best of all time) :cool

3) The skin was already torn and the last time I 'opened' it wasn't doing v-bar work but the day after on grippers.

4) You didn't help at all - merely stated the bleeding obvious. If a helpful suggestion regarding hand position had been forthcoming then a post akin to saying 'I see clouds when I look at the sky' would have been better recieved. So how about a tip?

· 2# (Ironmind) = 2,05

· 2# (Ironmind) = 2,34

· 359 IP PDA = 2,69

· 399 IP PDA = 2,81

· 3# (Ironmind) = 3,00

· Elite (W.Tetting) = 3,22

· Elite (W.Tetting) = 3,38

· Elite (W.Tetting) = 3,54

· Superelite (W. Tetting) = 3,65

· 4# (Ironmind) = 4,00

Added from the German site. It's the grippers used at the EU comp. I think my best is left 2.69 and right 3.54. Hmm. I wonder how the GGC RB 300 would rate?

And this is helpful how?

Let's see if we can breakdown the why's and wherefores:

1) I'm making up for lost time and so am training more frequently than you do. ie: I'm doing 1-2 times a week and you do the lift once every 10 days??

2) From both PM's and this post you do a lot more sub-maximal reps and sets than I do. But on the list I'm higher up (4th best of all time)  :cool

That will last until the Australian Grip Championship in December; trust me on that one.

3) The skin was already torn and the last time I 'opened' it wasn't doing v-bar work but the day after on grippers.

4) You didn't help at all - merely stated the bleeding obvious. If a helpful suggestion regarding hand position had been forthcoming then a post akin to saying 'I see clouds when I look at the sky' would have been better recieved. So how about a tip?

Still no use or help at all. If the feeling to say something comes over you again find a mouse or a bird and share away.

Reminds me of when someone (Jedd I think) asked you for a tip on v-bar lifting, when you indicated that you thought that you had figured out some of Johan Albrektsson's secrets.