Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Lifesnotfair, the set was between 25 and 30mm. I was the witness closest to the gripper at the time. :)

On a different topic. As part of a planned charity drive (we wanna pull a bus into town and a plane at an airfield) I sent out emails chasing up and confirming this week. Long story short this formed part of a reply today:

Another thought, did you discuss the use of the 747 (jumbo) with Glen? There are two, one is being broken at the moment, but the other is owned by European aviation at Bournemouth and I have a very good relationship with the company. You may need more than 4 blokes to pull that, as it ways approx 155,000kgs. Chevron could tow the aircraft into position and then your team could pull it…

155 metric tonnes. The original plane was a BAE 146-100 and weighs 29 to 35 tonnes (empty and with fuel) in it's lightest version to 45 tonnes with fuel with it's heaviest. 155 tonnes is a hell of a lot more.

That's it... me bottle has gone :whacked

I've had a look and David Huxley holds the Guinness record for pulling a Jumbo (187 tonnes) 91metres (300ft) in 1min 27.7 seconds. Obviously it doesn't state the conditions - even a miniscule uphill would kill it.

With a team of 4 it would definitely be doable - get some heavy boys to get it moving and no trouble, assuming a flat or slight downhill.....

No worries Steve, i didn't take it as if it was directed at me anyway :) Personally i don't think i did anything impressive enough to warrant commenting on - i just put the pics up there because i thought people might me interested to see what we did after the comp. Now when i do finally manage to press that thing - that WILL deserve everyone commenting on it ha ha!

When i get the inch, first thing i'll be working on - as you suggest - is the deadlift. If you could keep checking my log to give me suggestions, etc... tell me where i'm going wrong and so on i'd be very grateful.

Just out of interest, how close was Chris' attempt at getting the mdb overhead?

Ahh from memory... two handed as per yourself and push pressed to about his ear. Both the length and size never mind the weight made it on another order again from the Inch. I was there when he tried the Inch and the effort on that day helped form part of the reputation he has now. 11 attempts in total with the last and successful being after midnight (0015 I think).

It took Chris 11 attempts to put the inch overhead? I would have thought he would press it easy!

The hardest part about lifting the millenium dbell for me would be the length of it - Give me a couple of months and Ill pop up and give it a go Steve!

No worries Steve, i didn't take it as if it was directed at me anyway :) Personally i don't think i did anything impressive enough to warrant commenting on - i just put the pics up there because i thought people might me interested to see what we did after the comp. Now when i do finally manage to press that thing - that WILL deserve everyone commenting on it ha ha!

When i get the inch, first thing i'll be working on - as you suggest - is the deadlift. If you could keep checking my log to give me suggestions, etc... tell me where i'm going wrong and so on i'd be very grateful.

Just out of interest, how close was Chris' attempt at getting the mdb overhead?

Ahh from memory... two handed as per yourself and push pressed to about his ear. Both the length and size never mind the weight made it on another order again from the Inch. I was there when he tried the Inch and the effort on that day helped form part of the reputation he has now. 11 attempts in total with the last and successful being after midnight (0015 I think).

It took Chris 11 attempts to put the inch overhead? I would have thought he would press it easy!

The hardest part about lifting the millenium dbell for me would be the length of it - Give me a couple of months and Ill pop up and give it a go Steve!

That will be sweet. Knowing Chris I doubt if he did any actual dumbbell work.

Ya baby i'll be there to see that dale.

Oh yes - another for the whey consortium videos :D

The hardest part about lifting the millenium dbell for me would be the length of it

Definately Dale, it was aweful hard to balance! When i start training for it i am going to do one arm presses with an axle! I'd love to see you have a go at it i'll try and be there when ya do mate.

Saturday / Sunday

Saturday

Thick handled dumbbell work

B/H: 50-kilos (does not include handle etc - 2.5-inch thick handle) x 3 x 1 each hand, 80-kilos x 3 x 1 each hand. 95-kilos x 2-3 x 1 (just off floor and hard to get handle tight). Bizarrely was easier pulling MDB (did 2 x 1 right hand) than pulling dumbbell.

Note - all work was off of floor and not overhead (the rest of the lads are working on doing a light 'Inch' (53-kilos) or a heavy 'Inch' (78) as part of training for an event this summer.

We then set the MDB in the rack and used the blue strip bands but these took too much off of the bell (esp at the top) and I was getting reps left and right. We then changed them to the lighter tension 'pink stripes' bands and also moved the bands twice to get the tension as we wanted it (Dunk took a photo). Once they were set up properly we was able to get the bell off the floor with either hand but once it was about 18-inches up we was taking 90% of the weight.

Finally I was lifting it all the way up and holding it against the front of my thighs for time with no tension (bands were loose at this ehight) with both hands (one at a time).

Sunday

Gripper work

Piss poor - might have been due to thick handled dumbbell work the day before. I intended doing all the db and gripper work Sunday but ended up joining in with Dunkster. Loads of time till next event and on target on bells anyway but for future reference when doing grippers and something else do grippers first.

L/H: RB240ip x 9 x 1. All easy but...

R/H: BBE 7 x 1 and not once did I actually get the handles to touch (see above). Everyone was a hairs breadth away.

Re pushing and Inch or MDB overhead. Dale should know this but fix the hand against a globe and poush both the globe and handle overhead. In that way you are not fighting to balance a longer bell. I have a thinner (about 1.5-inch) handled globe bell here but the space between the balls is about 10-inches. A bugger to balance and it's only 117-lbs.

I know what you mean about the thick handled stuff taking a lot out as today my hands and forearms are shagged, I struggled undoing a drink cup earlier and had to get my missus to do it, how sad is that! But at least we know we hit it hard :mosher

Ahh I trained my grip. You caned yours. I was sitting watching Dunk while yelling 'again, again, again' many times. Sweat was dripping on the floor from both of us but most of it was Dunk's :D

Steve, i find that the day after heavy thick bar work my grippers are a lot weaker aswell. I always try and do grippers first as i don't find they weaken my hands for anything else. The other way round though seems to kill them , with rolling thunder probably being the worst thing i can do before a gripper session.

Liking the thick bar work, i think i am going to invest in a set of bands!

Monday

Went to gymnation intending to do some warm ups and stretching only (as well as tell them about the Jumbo pull) and ended up doing some pinch work (actually down for tomorrow).

Two Hand Pinch

Using the 13.6-kilos 2" bar I've used in the past and gripping a pair of 5-kilo plates centrally loaded I did the following:

30-kilos (++) x 1 rep, 50-kilos x 1 rep, 60-kilos x 1 rep and then played around with weight until I did 77.5-kilos*. *This actually equates to 13.6-kilos (bar) + 10-kilos (2 x 5-kilo plates) and 3 spring collars (.75-kilos) for a total of 101.85-kilos

BWT: 19st 10lbs 8oz

Sweet pinching! I don't know what I'll be doing tonight yet as my forearms and hands are still shagged. The tendons in my arms feel battered but that's what you get for being a thick bar virgin :whistel Think I'll go for some big one hand lift tonight that 300 has got my name on it.

Thursday

Seated BB Press in rack

bar x 12 reps, plus 30-kilos x 8 reps, plus 40-kilos x 6 reps, plus 60-kilos (80) x 6 reps

Cable machine curls

10p x 8 reps, stack x 8 reps, plus 15-kilos x 7 reps

Triceps

reverse grip p/down two handed

55lbs x 12 reps, stack x 8 reps

one handed

55lbs x 2 x 8 reps @

Thursday

decided to train with Mike and and Greg

80-kilos x 3 x 1 e/h

90-kilos x 3 x 1 e/h (ok right hard left)

Millennium

6 x 1 x r/h

Millennium tilted

3 x 1 l/h (2nd one piss poor)

No bands used

Thursday

80-kilos x 3 x 1 e/h

Millennium

6 x 1 x r/h

Millennium tilted

No bands used

How much does a ironmind 2" loading pin weigh Steve? and when you do 2 hand pinch do you include the weight of the bar?

Edited by welshdragon

Also tried some plate pinching. Earlier today Laine Snook brought over 2 large discs. We had met a couple of weeks earlier when we used his Ivanko plates to check our new scales. I had a PM yesterday and he mentioned 200lbs discs. I thought he meant 2 x 100lbs or 2 x 50-kilo discs. No he meant 2 x 200lb (or to be exact 90-kilos / 198lbs) discs.

Blow me it was a sod and a half carrying one from his van. Having weighed them I tried pinching one (at 68mm - a little wide). There is no groove, flange etc just a slight champver (sp) to the edge and a 2" hole for olympic bars. No way was it budging.

This evening for fun we stuck them on an olympic e/z curl bar and said we'd take a £1.00 of the fees for every rep (ha ha).

After the Millennium work and a breather I did some pinch work by picking one end of the bar up (by the plate) in a pinch grip and leaning back, trying to keep the hands working as much as possible. I did that 3x. I'm sure, in time, I'll be able to 2-hand pinch them and will then set them as a challenge for others.

Cheers Laine :)

Thursday

80-kilos x 3 x 1 e/h

Millennium

6 x 1 x r/h

Millennium tilted

No bands used

How much does a ironmind 2" loading pin weigh Steve? and when you do 2 hand pinch do you include the weight of the bar?

A 2" (hollow) pin with carabina is about 7-8lbs. On pinch we weigh the width setting with bar and collars. So, for example, at 49mm it's about 23 or 24-kilos (I'd need to check) before any plates are added. If you are using standard plates and a pin the total amount is recorded.

Damn, they would be something to see! Are they just thick, or are they of a slightly larger diameter than the average 20kg plate?

It is interesting that after not having trained the Millenium for a while you seem to be right back on it - indeed, seeming to lift it with some ease after the comp. Do you think it was just the fact of bringing your training to a peak for the british that did it, or was it some aspect in particular (ie. stronger wrists due to training for the TTWC)?

Thursday

80-kilos x 3 x 1 e/h

Millennium

6 x 1 x r/h

Millennium tilted

No bands used

A 2" (hollow) pin with carabina is about 7-8lbs. On pinch we weigh the width setting with bar and collars. So, for example, at 49mm it's about 23 or 24-kilos (I'd need to check) before any plates are added. If you are using standard plates and a pin the total amount is recorded.

ok thanks!

Damn, they would be something to see! Are they just thick, or are they of a slightly larger diameter than the average 20kg plate?

It is interesting that after not having trained the Millenium for a while you seem to be right back on it - indeed, seeming to lift it with some ease after the comp. Do you think it was just the fact of bringing your training to a peak for the british that did it, or was it some aspect in particular (ie. stronger wrists due to training for the TTWC)?

Probably a combo of pinch and RT work = strong thumb. That said the Millennium is never easy just doable. I have the advantage of access and the knowledge it can be done - so no barrier mental or otherwise.

They are both thick @ 67mm and slightly larger across than a 20-kilo plate (roughly 2" more across).