Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Nice!

How many time do you take inbetween reps?

Note re time (I'll CC this in the right thread). 16 athletes, 5 events, 4 attempts x 1 minute = 320 minutes or 5 hours 20 minutes. That would be the absolute minimum.

Monday

Last training session. Took my sweet time and slowly worked up in weights and form to:

One hand lift

L/H: 260-kilos - missed first attempt gor 2nd

R/H: 280-kilos x 1 reps

I held off from doing more as I didn't wanna risk injury or get over trained. We have some little jobs to do over the next few days to get everything spot on so I wont be idle but no more training!!

Grande Job.

With what you have posted before about the back, seems like a very good idea to take it easy but keep it all moving until Sat.

I plan on trying to do some walking and stretching very day but no weights whatsoever.

Competition report

With four days active rest (some walking and stretching only) my back was spasming all week - right up to the morning - this may have been a combination of competition anxiety and over training. Ibuprofen and paracetemol and the little buzz I always get on the day... I was ready.

Grippers were... easy. Left hand was as it always is - an easy three (2.96) but right hand was STRONG!! I actually though I might go for the 4.01 but had no need. Then, as we were half way through 2HP Chris James arrived and started catching up. With both hands at 3.29 (due to his log showing sets of 5 reps with only a '3' I suspect this was not enough). As you'll see later I nigh on got CoC3's 4. Still, as before, a first is a first.

Pinch - no problems with lower weight but as per Dunksters video hard work with the 98-kilos. I also felt like a tiny bit of metal or something sharp tore the skin in the usual place. Obviously I am well used to our equipment but pulled 99.3 on Davids just a few weeks ago. It was all I could do on the day and David was far enough ahead that had I pulled a potential (on paper) 103 he'd have still beat me handily. But 2nd got me some points and evened out the scores.

V-Bar - off, off, off. 100 then 130 and I knew it was not gonna be a high day. The skin on my hands felt sore almost immediatly and I knew I would need to work hard to get close to 150-kilos. Chris was solid as a rock here - good baring in mind he was finally up to speed with the rest of us. A review of the results shows that this event is where I lost the top spot.

One hand lift. Several weeks ago I was pulling 265 RH and 245 LH. This was using the same handle but away from the body. One session with Nick and hand against thigh (as all use with super weights) and I hit 280 LH and 300 RH (see Sam doing same on video using identical technique). 3 sessions out and I could only manage 265 with either hand. That made me go back the same day (another daft idea - I was 'off' for a week after) and try again only managing 1 more rep (2 x 1) with the same weights. One very hard session with max weights (265 LH and 280 RH) and loads of reps with lighter weights but form, form, form (195-kilos only) was very hard - some micro skin tears. 1 session away from the event (last Monday) and I did 265 LH and 280 RH. I had a tad more in my right but nothing left in my other hand. This was also under a week out from the competition.On the day...frigging fire! Easy warm ups, locked in tight form. No errors and the usual gamesmanship (seeing what selections others made). A safe 250-kilos both hands, then (if memory serves) 280 RH and 265 or 275 LH. I did get confused and was debating with Nick as to whether or not I had taken 250 as a warm up or lift. Regardless I was close to the top and took 300 - a fourth lift with 300-kilos left handed. I was well happy as I had worked out that a best with my left would have been either the 280 from a few weeks back or, if 'on' 300. 300 it was. My right hand was a lock and I had a lift to go. I knew, without any doubt whatsoever, 320 was a done deal if I wanted it. But we have a points game to play - could I do 340?? David has a 305 kilo TTWC but what if I miss 340 but KNOW I can get 330?? All this back and forth... someone says 330-kilos is more than Herman Goerner... sod it 330 it is (indeed it's just over 727). The video show me pull the chain tight, then - without relaxing 'pop' it off the floor. Could I have done 340? Yes. On May 19th I could have pulled 340-kilos. But it is history now and not only did I do 330kg - the most ever in this kind of event but got the total of 630-kilos as well. Sweet :D

TTWC: Dunkster platform is snug and so much that it is a very tight fit into the rack. We had not tested it and apart from adjusting for height as we set it up yesterday that was it. Using the slightly thicker 700-kilo rated bar (may actually add some weight to the total poundages everyone pulled) we set off. The bar quickly started to take chalk with 13 lifters at 4 attempts each. David, after the event, said he'd have prefered a bar with centre knurl and standard thickness but, of course, well all used it. I had only used this bar myself three times to practice on so had no real advantage. My log shows three sessions at Gymantion on a standard bar and the rest with dumbbells. use of the bells laso stopped me getting the injuries others suffered from. On the day 160, 180 and 200 were good. I had predicted (based on percentages) that I MIGHT just hit 205 or possibly 210-kilos. Getting 220-kilos was therefore bloody great but... I spoke to Nick (very good at judging this things) and he said I may have had 10 or possibly 20-kilos more. I felt that I hadn't reached my abolute max and that is easy to tell as there is no bone deep ache today (mild cramping yesterday and some hand and skin soreness only).

I knew, as I watched Jose and George, our Spanish competitors (we also had one from the USA - Mike Corlett) try and hit 240+ that I had only done enough for 2nd. That David had said weeks out that he was not competing and then, literally as he turned into the street, came 100% to have a go and won shows his depth of strength and talent but how those 3 tiny points that seperated us stung. Not that he won - but that I was so BLOODY close!!

I can say, hand on heart, that I never trained so damn hard in my life on grip exercises and the demons or whatever it is that drives me were at full blast. In the what mkust be 16 weeks I trained I may have only made mistakes a few times and the rest was 100%. Did I make any mistakes yesterday? I might have done a bit more on grippers but was ahead enough of the others, after Chris tore his bicep and left so his points became nothing for me to worry about that only the extra advantage of he percetanges might have helped. On pinch I was only a little off and it was my best on the day. What happened with the V-bar?? I really don't know as it was almost identical to the super match with Theo. 1 hand lift - I could have gone a gnats ball higher and I dare not look to see if the few extra kilos would have pushed me over at the end - that really depends on if David had more on the TTWC. The wrist curl - my best ever and maybe, just maybe, a little more. Watching David appear to struggle at one point but knowing his limits are, when 'on' a hell of a lot higher and as Mikeal says - did he do just enough? Ahh who knows. Best not to dwell. I'll rest up and do some strething this week. A VERY light session Thursday and next week I'll do some general training. All weights will be down and I'll ease back slowly.

A great turn out, great help from Nick, Mike, Loz and Harry. Awesome prizes - I really, really love the 'HUGGEEEEE' hammer from the guys at LKB and straight into the beer, cake, pizza and icecream and it was a good. day. It could have gone on ages but instead we ended up at about 7 ish. All in all a good day.

Wednesday

easyish day as first day back

Grippers

L/H: to RB240ip x 5 x 1 reps (easy)

R/H: to BBE x 5 x 1 reps (easy)

V-Bar

60, 75, 90, 105, 120-kilos all x 1 rep @.

135-kilos (plus bar) x 6 x 1 rep @. Got easier as I went along.

Slight twinging in lower back.

Bwt: 19st 10lbs

those figures for Vbar make more sense now that i've been in a competition. good workout steve!

Friday

Leg Press

0-kilos x 12 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 540-kilos x 8 reps

DB Row

55-kilos per arm x 8 reps, 70-kilos x 2 x 8 reps per arm

CG Bench

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 40-kilos a side x 6 reps, 52.5-kilos a side x 3 x 4 reps

Steve, what are your goals now after the Brits? It would be great to see you competing at the GGC in your current shape!

Not gonna happen on my income. Plus competing only gets you kudos. To go to the GGC last time, with sponsorship cost in excess of $900.00 and that was out Friday, compete Saturday, leave Sunday and arrive back Monday and I wont be doing that again either (16 hours sleep in 4 days). For me to go it either needs to be for cash prizes or from my savings and I don't wanna use my savings. I could also do Europe but for the same reasons wont be.

Right now I have a short term target of Nick McKinless's dumbbell challenge (53-kilos, 78-kilos and 97 kilos - all thick handled) over the next 2 months or so. As I lifted 103-kilos / MDB on Saturday twice I doubt it'll be too much of a problem but might go for a walk and or a double (78 one side and 97 the other).

Medium term I wanna get 100-kilos on the 2HP at 44, 49 and 54mm settings as well as bring up my V-Bar back to a regular 150+. I'd also like Mikeal to reply to emails and my last post regarding our weighing etc of the plates. Even though I competed - not loaded or reffed - apparently I will NOT have any of the lifts we did at the British accepted because the loaders and the ref did not note exactly which plates were used when they loaded up either the pinch or v-bar. I have approval for the scales we used, I used Laine Snook's calibrated plates to test the accuracy of the scales and I spent an hour, while exhausted, on Sunday listing every weighed plate (first chance as the calibration of scales was done Friday). I then typed this list up, worked out the mean weight of each of the weighed plates and sent this. Still no reply.

Long term I'll be adding Joegrip to my ignore list. I had a PM from him yesterday as to why myself and others had not commented on a blurry photo of Sam two handing the Millennium to his shoulder and then bouncing it about a little. One: I didn't know - even though I asked for photos in the British Grip thread none have been sent nor did any thread draw our attention to the photos (most are blurry due to the chalk dsut in the air). Two: two handing 103-kilos isn't that big a deal and Three: because of the tone used (more or less demanding).

Friday

Leg Press

0-kilos x 12 reps,

Lol! :tongue

Thanks for that - you get bored easily I take it. :angry:

even though I asked for photos in the British Grip thread none have been sent nor did any thread draw our attention to the photos (most are blurry due to the chalk dsut in the air).

All the photos i managed to get via my mom's camera all came out pretty blurry. I uploaded them to my gallery, as stated in the british iron grip thread! I got a few others but i only uploaded the ones that came out semi clear.

No problem. I was annoyed at the tone of the PM and of course had no idea that the photos were there. The PM more or less demanded that I or any of you should comment. Not unless it's a site rule and then only if I feel like it. Nowt directed at you. You know only too well that it'll be a special day when you push, jerk or military press the bell but two handing it up the body means S.F.A. Inch from the floor first then work on pressing that baby.

As per the quote from what I've seen using a flash meant the cameras focused on the chalk dust and not the subject matter. Dunkster has just sent me 91 frame captures from his digital video (so low rez). At some point this weekend I may play around with them in P S Pro and grey tone them as well as seeing if they will sharpen up a little. If they do I'll put up a few on my forum.

No worries Steve, i didn't take it as if it was directed at me anyway :) Personally i don't think i did anything impressive enough to warrant commenting on - i just put the pics up there because i thought people might me interested to see what we did after the comp. Now when i do finally manage to press that thing - that WILL deserve everyone commenting on it ha ha!

When i get the inch, first thing i'll be working on - as you suggest - is the deadlift. If you could keep checking my log to give me suggestions, etc... tell me where i'm going wrong and so on i'd be very grateful.

Just out of interest, how close was Chris' attempt at getting the mdb overhead?

They weren't capture they were just taken by my little bro who is no David Bailey and wasn't used to the camera :tongue Shame I was competing as i reckon i could of got some sweet shots. From the video footage i should be able to get some decent capture and if i do i'll send them right over.

No worries Steve, i didn't take it as if it was directed at me anyway :) Personally i don't think i did anything impressive enough to warrant commenting on - i just put the pics up there because i thought people might me interested to see what we did after the comp. Now when i do finally manage to press that thing - that WILL deserve everyone commenting on it ha ha!

When i get the inch, first thing i'll be working on - as you suggest - is the deadlift. If you could keep checking my log to give me suggestions, etc... tell me where i'm going wrong and so on i'd be very grateful.

Just out of interest, how close was Chris' attempt at getting the mdb overhead?

Ahh from memory... two handed as per yourself and push pressed to about his ear. Both the length and size never mind the weight made it on another order again from the Inch. I was there when he tried the Inch and the effort on that day helped form part of the reputation he has now. 11 attempts in total with the last and successful being after midnight (0015 I think).

I'd also like Mikeal to reply to emails and my last post regarding our weighing etc of the plates. Even though I competed - not loaded or reffed - apparently I will NOT have any of the lifts we did at the British accepted because the loaders and the ref did not note exactly which plates were used when they loaded up either the pinch or v-bar. I have approval for the scales we used, I used Laine Snook's calibrated plates to test the accuracy of the scales and I spent an hour, while exhausted, on Sunday listing every weighed plate (first chance as the calibration of scales was done Friday). I then typed this list up, worked out the mean weight of each of the weighed plates and sent this. Still no reply.

Ouch! It would seem like there would be a way to at least compute the minimum weight that lifts would be, by assuming that the worst(lowest) combination of plates was on each time. That would result in lower lifts, but I think a guy like Chris James, who had both a good and tragic day on the Vertical Bar, has paid his dues more than ANYONE else and deserves to have his name on the list.

I'd also like Mikeal to reply to emails and my last post regarding our weighing etc of the plates. Even though I competed - not loaded or reffed - apparently I will NOT have any of the lifts we did at the British accepted because the loaders and the ref did not note exactly which plates were used when they loaded up either the pinch or v-bar. I have approval for the scales we used, I used Laine Snook's calibrated plates to test the accuracy of the scales and I spent an hour, while exhausted, on Sunday listing every weighed plate (first chance as the calibration of scales was done Friday). I then typed this list up, worked out the mean weight of each of the weighed plates and sent this. Still no reply.

Ouch! It would seem like there would be a way to at least compute the minimum weight that lifts would be, by assuming that the worst(lowest) combination of plates was on each time. That would result in lower lifts, but I think a guy like Chris James, who had both a good and tragic day on the Vertical Bar, has paid his dues more than ANYONE else and deserves to have his name on the list.

Exactly what I was thinkin. Compute minimum possible weight and list that. No way there'd be any cheating whatsoever.

I agree 100%. Indeed I said exactly that in the records / contest section for pinch. The difference between maximum possible and lowest possible would be less than 2-kilos. (so my 98 would become 96+ - I can live with that).

It will be interesting to see what you get after over the next few months. The #4 perhaps, competiton stylie (ie. with the 20mm spacer)? At least in the UK this is your comparatively best event. The 100kg pinch will be no problem I think - chasing Nick's gym record and trying to stay ahead of Loz will get you there no problem.

Mac, Steve would close my #4 fresh easily. His attempt was less than 1mm off and the set used was about 1'', maybe a little wider at that. Mob next time i come up there (hopefully sooner rather than later) i'll bring my #4 and you can have another crack.

Missing a #4 by a hair is very good! Specially since mobster says he doesn't set the gripper super-deep (although I imagine the #4 set couldn't have been much more than 20mm, was it?).

Steve has the potential to be a #4 closer, but guessing from his log, it's not a priority for him...