Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Wednesday

The first day since last week that my back has been close to 100%. Even so I was very careful working my way to decent weights.

Leg Press

0-kilos per leg x 12 reps, 120-kilos x 8 reps, 240-kilos x 8 reps, 540-kilos x 6 reps

CG Bench (did it 2nd cos I wanted to see what I could do).

20-kilos a side x 8 reps, 40-kilos, 45-kilos, 50-kilos, 55-kilos, 60-kilos, 65-kilos, 67.5-kilos and 70-kilos a side x 1 rep (160kg). I have done more in the past and will do so again soon.

Lat pulldown

8p x 8 reps, 11p x 8 reps, 13p x 3 x 8 reps

Spotted Alf (he did 3 sets with 170-kilos (8, 6, 6), then dumbbell bench (to 60kg a hand) and some smith benching where I joined in.

20-kilos a side x 4 x 10 reps

Bwt 126-kilos

Cheers. I might substitute the LPD for chins next time. I appear to be one of the few heavier guys capable of a few reps (weighing 275 ish at the mo).

Chins are ok. Over doing the heavy stuff or any work where I might stress my back etc is more of a worry.

Friday

Had to, needed to, be the one training the hardest and used that to motivate myself through the whole workout.

Grippers

usual warm ups

L/H: 240ip x 5 x 1 reps (easy), BBGM x VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN, VVN, N, VN, VN

R/H: BBE x 5 x 1 reps, BBSE x VN, 1, 1, VN, VN, VVN, VVN, VVN

DB Wrist Curls

B/H: 30-kilos x 6 reps, 35-kilos x 6 reps

L/H: 45-kilos x 2 x 6 reps, 40-kilos x 2 x 6 reps, 30-kilos x 19 reps

R/H: 50-kilos x 4 reps, x 3 reps, 45-kilos x 2 x 6 reps, 30-kilos x 19 reps (tried 55 befor the 50's but could not budge it)

I compute what I think I can do for a single TTWC by adding both DB weights together (so 45 and 50 = 90) the doubling it (90 x 2 = 180) then adding a few kilos for a single and because it's a competition (so 200-210 kilos all out max single in the TTWC).

I could also have done with some middling dumbbells (47.5-kilos bells as opposed to 45 or 50's, or 52.5 as opposed to be not getting a rep with the 55's I attempted) so did more reps than perhaps was neccesary or ideal. But I wanted the forearms to be fried to the bone and so worked it hard. One guy commented that I could probably pick him up by his neck and I said 'probably' and added 'but it's better to grab you by the balls gently and have you think I'll squeeze if I want to get you around to my way of thinking' ;)

It's worth adding that TTWC that I do and as I expect it to be judged isn't the roll and barely control some think it is but a very hard strict get the damn back of the hand off of the table effort. I recently did 3 x 1 with 180-kilos with Nick judging and he takes no crap as far as attempts are concerned.

It's worth adding that TTWC that I do and as I expect it to be judged isn't the roll and barely control some think it is but a very hard strict get the damn back of the hand off of the table effort. I recently did 3 x 1 with 180-kilos with Nick judging and he takes no crap as far as attempts are concerned.

???

Can you expand on this? I would submit that you are potentially costing yourself kilos, depending on what exactly you mean. Plus, unless as per the rules the bar rolls and the fingers actually leave the bar thus invalidating the lift, I would be interested to see how easy it was to judge any difference.

Easier to show than do. Nick is better at TTWC (has exceeded 200+) than me and will be reffing. In the past I did double TTWC what I could WC normally (so 70 became 140). In training I have done the fast choppy 'rolling style' and this works well when using the knees or a padded bench due to the give of the surface. However, TTWC is done on a board, platform or table with no give. You cannot roll it forward into the 'give' then roll it back.

Also DH has mentioned how the rules came about because of the huge differences in styles people had. With single or all out max attempts you can (as I will) have the bar placed onto the right spot on your hands (I cannot get my thick hands under the bar even when it rests on the 2" blocks). Beacuse of this, and with Nick watching, I was able to do 3 x 1 very strict full off of the table reps with 180-kilos. I'm just checking the rules now (as I type this) to see of the hand can go forward then roll back but control the weight (would add another 20kg maybe??).

Found the rules - I have underlined the points where people may cheat reps etc by not adhering. Ok in training but not on the day. Look at CJ's video and you'll see him rocking back and forth a little (upper body) and pushing up with his knees. His 180 for 5 using a 2-inch bar is a good lift but not one rep would pass for a competition (not that he claimed they would).

Table Top Wrist Curl

This lift is only a partial movement (top range) and therefore it affords a greater poundage possibility than the full-range wrist curl.

An Olympic Bar is used for this lift. Stand behind the table, with your forearms flat on it (palms upwards), holding a barbell that has been handed to you. The referee will then signal ‘curl’, for the lifter to commence the wrist curl when he has seen that at least one knuckle from each hand is touching the table. The lifter will curl his hands off the table (using wrist flexion), keeping his forearms on the table at all times. The knuckles and hands have to come off the table before the referee will give the down signal (ie the ref must see down to the wrist). The lifter may use an ordinary grip, hook grip or thumbless grip. If the bar rolls out of the hand, with the fingers no longer touching the bar, the lift is failed. The bar must rise evenly: an uneven extension is also a failure.

If the forearms were up you can get a 'roll' going. If no knuckle is touching you are already half way to a rep and what can feel like a full curl may not be when properly reffed. I do all mine thumbless as it helps keep the bar balanced. I also did one rep with a 3 second pause at the bottom. All in all the reps we want may be harder than anticipated. It is ok to work using more weights and a loose form when training but not in the event.

Steve,

Thanks for the reply, I see what you mean. However, the rules only state that at least one knuckle of each hand must be on the table and does not mention pre-emptive rolling of the bar, so I guess it would depend on the interpretation. In my experience you can move the bar enough to make a difference without it being noticeable, even on a hard surface. It seems that it is the attempt to roll into the give, as you put it, that benefits, even if the actual movement is negligible.

Edited by The Mac

On a hunch I checked the vid of the 2002 British and in David's World record there is a very definite roll (lowering) of the bar and hands down to touch the table and then the lift itself is made. This is exacerbated by the bar flexion from the weight. You can also clearly see that the bar is so far down the hand that he has to reach far back with the fingers.

Can you link me up? I'm looking for the same advantages as the next man. The issue will be with the ref and any questions we ask of him pre event (as is the norm). If I see what you mean within the video and I feel it is both usable and likely to be passed then it'll go into my arsenal.

Steve,

Try this: Here

If that don't work, the vid is part of the old gripboard Movie Gallery accessable from the Main Forum - 2002 British Grip Champs.

Given the weights involved I would think it near impossible to do this exercise from a dead stop. I am definitely thinking of including this as the final event in the Comp I am planning, mainly because big weights are cool and also because I think I am quite good at it!! :tongue

Out of all the grip related videos on this site and elsewhere, it's one of my favourites.

Big shout out to Mr Gazza, for it was taken by he I believe.

Interesting. Both Liz and David (only featured athletes doing TTWC) can fit their hands under the bar and in doing so had their hands in the upwards / knuckles off starting position. I can't get my hand underneath (thumb pad too thick). So I get the hand off instead. If I can use the hand up position a the start, go down and lift back up it may be a few kilos. That said it doesn't look as dynamic and of a 'roll' as I'd began to think it might. I'm not so sure that a thick handed guy like myself will get anything from (according to the rules quoted below) taking it high, lowering it down and hoping the ref says 'curl' the moment a single knuckle touches the table.

I also did 180 from a dead stop - hard but no harder than the other 2 with the same weight.

Cheers for finding the video - I may have another watch or two.

Mmm, yes, it would be interesting to see more footage, but off the top of my head this is the only footage I recall seeing on the Net?

From what I have seen though, being able to get your hands underneath or not should make little difference, as both will need to take it from a hand-off (tell me if I am not explaining this well - both David and Liz have a hand off in the video). I would not have thought that having thick hands would make much of a difference - any amount of movement (however slight) would seem to be beneficial. Indeed, due to leverage thicks hands may make this "technique" more useful. ANd as with most lifts when they are heavy, it may not look explosive but I would bet it felt that way.

Obviously, this all depends on what may or may not be said at the pre-comp meeting, re pausing the weight with the knuckle(s) touching the table. However, it would a appear that a pause would be inconsistent with how the lift has been performed in the past and, given the weight involved, potentially dangerous IMO.

Steve

Didnt big Kalle Laine have the same problem you are having.

With my old mind I barely remember.

The Mac: the bar is lifted clear of the block but both Liz and Dave have their hands under at the beginning. I can hold the bar of the thickest part of my thumb pad but I cannot get it to that point to set up as it were so need a complete lift off. Even so I am sure, if it's set that way for me, I might get that up position ready to 'roll' down and get the signal once a knuckle touches. It is late in the day to learn technique but I have given it some practise while working on the strength as much as possible.

That said I am sure both Sam, Chris and one or two others and I will all be very close. I am also sure no one of the group will exceed David's old record.

Nothing in that video looked like a wrist curl to me.. I mean, it's not supossed to be one, I know, I'm just saying that the ROM in those movements were Sri Chimnoy-like, in other words, very small? Or maybe it was the video quality that seemed that way. I'm in no way saying anything negative about the lifts, because I could probably just manage 1/10th of the weight, I'm just saying I thought the ROM was more than 3 milimeters on this event.

Steve, the reason you can't get your hands under the bar, is because you're using pansy weights. Put some more plates in there, so the bar bends a little more, and it will be higher at the center, where your "thick" hands will be able to slide under. :tongue

Steve, i reckon i am going to have the same problem you are having. I have thick hands especially in the thumbad area. I've been training this lift using a powerlifting bench and 2 guys (both big deadlifters, lol) either side of the bar to just lift it up enough for me to get my hands in nicely.

Something else that isn't clearly mentioned here is how long are you expected to hold the completed wrist curl in the locked out position?

Edited by CoC#3

Steve, i reckon i am going to have the same problem you are having. I have thick hands especially in the thumbad area. I've been training this lift using a powerlifting bench and 2 guys (both big deadlifters, lol) either side of the bar to just lift it up enough for me to get my hands in nicely.

Something else that isn't clearly mentioned here is how long are you expected to hold the completed wrist curl in the locked out position?

When Nick reffed me the other day it was literally at the point where my hands were fully up. As soon as that happened I got 'down' and they took it. In training (due to the fact I like training at odd times - mostly mornings) I was only able to train with spotters 2-3 times.