Mobster's Wrist Roller Work

mobsterone

Waiter: can I have a saucer of cream for the cat, oh sorry I mean Mr Wylie ha ha

Steve

What are your top lifts so far then? I am sure that you won't mind disclosing these figures.

BTW, I am sure this comp is yours for the taking...but - I still reserve the right to destroy you (as usual).

Regards

Jim

As usual?? :shifty ''Waiter, you had better make that double cream''.

My best efforts are a matter of record. Do what I did and look 'em up.

I'm not making you nervous am I? :tongue

How about a Jim Wylie competition diary? We've got what? 8 weeks. :kiss

Look at the results for last year. In the overall comp I beat you by a substantial margin. Should be no different this year.

Do you mean this? I'll edit it to show what we did and what I've done since.

GRIPPERS

----------------------------R-----------L--------- TOTAL-----SCORE

Steve Gardener ------ 3.54--------2.46--------6-----------113.06

Jim Wylie --------------3.29 -------2.44 -------5.73--------107.97

I won that round and have done better since

TWO HANDS ADJUSTABLE PINCH

---------------------------LIFT-------------------SCORE

Jim Wylie----------------85.5--------------------87.24

Steve Gardener---------81.8--------------------83.47

You won but I am planning on doing a fair bit more this year.

ONE HAND VERTICAL BAR

----------------------------R----------L----------TOTAL------SCORE

Jim Wylie---------------163.8------153.8------317.6--------106.17

Steve Gardener--------136.2------128.7------264.9-------88.56

Yours again but see last comment. And I'm now just a tad behind and that's based on what I did in competition and not what I am aiming to do in a few weeks - have you enough time...

ONE HAND LIFT

----------------------------R------------L--------TOTAL------SCORE

Jim Wylie----------------243.8-----243.8-------487.6-------100.84

Steve Gardener---------221.2------211.2------432.4--------89.42

Ditto

UNBRACED BENDING

---------------------------LIFT--------------------SCORE

Jim Wylie---------------267.5-------------------104.99

Steve Gardener---------235---------------------92.24

Just behind you here but have equalled your best in competion and of course we're not doing it this year. However, when it was last contested, I did more than you on the thumbless RT. All in all about the same then - who will want it most eh?

Note to self: email Robert Baraban and get my name put on the gold plated first palce gripper - save time for later he he

Two hand pinch

I tried out differing widths (I have been training with the max setting of 65mm and tried 55mm on the 2nd part of the workout) today along with a twist on an old technique (comp legal natch) and worked up to a new training PB. One thing which seems to be working is doing the same workout two times a week. I do one where I'm lifting a new poundage and maybe get 1-2 singles (shaking and just under control). By the time 4 or so days has passed I'm doing 3-4 singles and only the last one is barely under control. It raises the % max and so my 1rm gets raised as well.

For example: if I do 4 x 1 I'm looking at about 80-85% of my 1rm (rep max), if I do 3 x 1 I'm looking at 85-90% of my 1rm and if I do 2 x 1 I'm looking at 90-95% (ie: I'm lifting close to my limit and what I'd do in competition).

Based on David Horne's 105-kilo best in the 2004 European I'll need to be doing 4 x 1 with 84 (80%) to 89-kilos (85%), or 3 x 1 with 94.5-kilo (90%) or 2 x 1 with 99.75 kilos(95%). All numbers are approx. With 14 sessions or 7 weeks worth of training to go and I'm adding 1 to 1.5-kilos a week and allowing for non-linear progression (the closer to the max target weight the harder it will be) I can assume I'll add between 7 and 10.5 kilos (probably more like 5 to 7.5-kilos).

What would that mean on the lifting platform? Ahh.... :upsidedwn The clues are there for all to see he he :D

On a different topic and as per a post I put on another site. This weekend is the 14th or is it 15th annual OHF awards dinner. As part of the weightlifting entertainment at the end of the night I'm gonna try and replicate something I did at the 2004 Seni event in Birmingham

There I found, as per many old time strongmen before me, that people were more impressed by my lifting people than weights. So I will try and get 1-2 people, depending on their bodyweight, to stand on a 20-kilo disc while I mimic my training style of lifting a vertical bar. With the disc and bar I'm looking for a 300lbs max effort. I'm doing more than this in training and so it should be well within my limit. Better to lift well and make people clap than try and max out and knacker myself. Should be fun.

Chilling for 20 or so minutes then I am having a snack before my coffee and then it's off to the gym for the Tuesday workout and some one hand lifts - I hope the 50-kilo discs have arrived.

I was watching another part of the 4-disc GGC set (buy it at www.diesalcrew.com ha ha) and for this mornings viewing pleasure I watched all of the Rolling Thunder section from Dianes 70-lbs to my 210lbs. Gotta love some of the effort people were putting in and how the diesel boys made me look like I was a bear (growling after my victory) and Rob 'Monkey Paw's Vigent seeming to dance around the handle. All good stuff.

The forearms are a little stiff today and my right thumb feels a little sore around the joint after the work I did yesterday - but that's the same as usual so nothing to worry about. It just means I did work hard after all. I'll admit to coming down after the Pinch workout and thinking 'could I have done another 1 or 2 singles?'. But it's better to do just enough than one too many.

Steve

We've never had the thumbless rolling thunder in any of the competitions????

So there I am in the gym. Because I missed last Tuesday workout due to the trains and only managed to get some one hand lifts in using my home gym I took a rep off all my numbers.

So it was Leg Press to 1234 lbs x 6 reps, Inc L/bench to 47.5 kilos a side, x 6 reps rows to 92.5 kilos a side x 6 reps and hi l/rows to 62.5 kilos a side.

Then it was one hand lifts. I did my usual two warm up sets and then loaded the pin right up. I picked up what I thought was a 25lb dumbbell and chained that on top and did 2 x 1 rep. As I took the 'bell back I realised I'd been using a 25-kilos bell and so had done 12.5 kilos more than I had thought. Sweet... :D

Plus my new company t-shirts arrived today. They look very sweet indeed. :happy

Do you mean this? I'll edit it to show what we did and what I've done since.

GRIPPERS

----------------------------R-----------L--------- TOTAL-----SCORE

Steve Gardener ------ 3.54--------2.46--------6-----------113.06

Jim Wylie --------------3.29 -------2.44 -------5.73--------107.97

I won that round and have done better since

TWO HANDS ADJUSTABLE PINCH

---------------------------LIFT-------------------SCORE

Jim Wylie----------------85.5--------------------87.24

Steve Gardener---------81.8--------------------83.47

You won but I am planning on doing a fair bit more this year.

ONE HAND VERTICAL BAR

----------------------------R----------L----------TOTAL------SCORE

Jim Wylie---------------163.8------153.8------317.6--------106.17

Steve Gardener--------136.2------128.7------264.9-------88.56

Yours again but see last comment. And I'm now just a tad behind and that's based on what I did in competition and not what I am aiming to do in a few weeks - have you enough time...

ONE HAND LIFT

----------------------------R------------L--------TOTAL------SCORE

Jim Wylie----------------243.8-----243.8-------487.6-------100.84

Steve Gardener---------221.2------211.2------432.4--------89.42

Ditto

UNBRACED BENDING

---------------------------LIFT--------------------SCORE

Jim Wylie---------------267.5-------------------104.99

Steve Gardener---------235---------------------92.24

Yes, add you new lifts in then chap.

I'm still waiting for you to go ahead with your online diary. :dry

Besides, as I said in another post here, the clues are there... :inno

Steve

We've never had the thumbless rolling thunder in any of the competitions????

I think we have. The year we had it David Horne pulled 120.5 kilos and I was just behind. Unless we did it as an out of competition lift. We used a chain to adjust the distance between the handle and the loading pin and needed to undo a nut every time - very time consuming as I recall. Let me see if I can find a reference for you.

I shuld probably also add that I had only be training grip for 2 months previous - doesn't take much to take out mobster ;)

I'm still waiting for you to go ahead with your online diary.  :dry

Besides, as I said in another post here, the clues are there... :inno

I've been through the lifts once. A 295kg total on the v bar came up a piece o piss before I stopped. That's all your getting.

I just looked and couldn't find that 2001 competition lift list - damn!! As it happens we're both half right. I did come 2nd in the event but is was thumb over (as you say). But you wasn't in my class (ha ha ha - man I could go to town on that) but did lift 2.5 kilos more than me (double damn!!).

:cry

Ok. Cos you've given me a hint I'll give you one. I'm aiming to do 120-kilos thumbless on Andy's even more battered than mine handle. :yikes But for the V-bar you'll need to do a lot more than that total. I'm using that poundage in training (last week) for 3 x 1 (yes really).

Steve, You always aim high - and score low.  See you in May thick bar baby.

By posting up my targets I've aimed high. But I've been as high as second - not scoring low is it? I've given only one real hint of my poundage targets this time, deliberately. I'm keeping what David said in mind - lift to win, not for records. So long as I lift a mere .5 of a kilo more than the next bext guy and win each round that's enough. If Andy allows me to see if I can break the records by having extra attempts and I'm feeling up to it then that's a different matter... :inno

Anyway, if my aching body today is anything to go by it's in the bag. I'm booked in for a deep tissue massage (like what big Ronnie has) on Monday. The heavy one hand lifts, rolling thunder and vertical bar work all pull the shoulders forward when I get to the top set weight and makes the joints ache, the muscles ache, the connective tissue ache... you get the picture??

Anyway... I had a blinder of a session today. I'm off to the OHF dinner hotel tomorrow (going done a day early) and will take my grippers with me for my Friday gripper workout.

I made some minor adjustments in the intended additional poundage increments but never the less the two hand pinch, v-bar and rolling thunder numbers are all looking good. For example on the V-bar I am doing for reps what I maxed out at in the Europeans in 2004, the pinch is deffo up on what it was and I'm on target for a much better number than before and on the RT, well it's too easy and I may need to up the increment on that.

All in all a good afternoons session.

:happy

I shuld probably also add that I had only be training grip for 2 months previous - doesn't take much to take out mobster ;)

For your sake lets hope you right (I only just noticed this - the way a giant notices tiny people ha ha).

Rushing around like a looney after waking up at the crack of dawn and then falling back to sleep. I was waiting on my lift to the OHF dinner hotel (nr Slough, Windsor) and as they are running late due to traffic problems I have managed to get a gripper workout in. I've decided to add the HG400 and HG500 to my toys for people to pay with tomorrow night. I'll let my fans :cool know what happens

Very good day for business taking over £600.00 which may well be a Friday record. We're now averaging £2000.00 a week (about $4000.00) which is double what we were doing last summer and it's barely spring - sweet.

If Andy allows me to see if I can break the records by having extra attempts and I'm feeling up to it then that's a different matter

I'd be more than happy to give you (or anyone else, for that matter) extra attempts to try for records. Obviously any successful extra lift would not count in the competition, but hey, a record's a record!

I'm getting all the weights and equipment calibrated on the postroom scales here (they're checked regularly) so we can be sure of exactly what we are lifting.