Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

Eric,

Thanks for the calibration. I knew this batch felt alot tougher.

Later,

Tim Tolbert aka "Tim Taylor"

Eric,

Thanks for the calibration. I knew this batch felt alot tougher.

Later,

Tim Tolbert aka "Tim Taylor"

:laugh Don't feel bad Mr. "Taylor", I don't think anyone has ever spelled or pronounced my last name correctly. But you would think I could get Tolbert. Sorry about that.

Okay now I'm curious. I would've pronounced your name (Mill-feld) with the "e" being a short e sound. I assume this isn't right? I know it's only one L I just did that to signify a short "I" sound.

How is it pronounced? Probably something totally unpredictable like "My fee" or something french like that where half of it is silent. Either guess close?

Thanks again.

Tim

Okay now I'm curious. I would've pronounced your name (Mill-feld) with the "e" being a short e sound. I assume this isn't right? I know it's only one L I just did that to signify a short "I" sound.

How is it pronounced? Probably something totally unpredictable like "My fee" or something french like that where half of it is silent. Either guess close?

Thanks again.

Tim

Actually you're absolutely correct, Tim. That's what kills me about no one, except you, ever getting it right - it's pronounced just as it is spelled. Usually I get Milteld, Milseld, Milford, but mainly Milfield.

• 2 weeks later...

For those who like tracking this sort of thing, Tim, :D I just calibrated a Midwest Manufacturing 70D nail made in Canada, courtesy of Nick. It was exactly 7" long and hit 385 pounds.

Now how did you know my curious technical mind always scoped this thread? BTW, that's the exact same nail that hit 415 when you cal'd one for me. Guess they vary some.

I need to get back to Menards and get some more. They're great show bending nails.

Tim

Now how did you know my curious technical mind always scoped this thread? BTW, that's the exact same nail that hit 415 when you cal'd one for me. Guess they vary some.

I need to get back to Menards and get some more. They're great show bending nails.

Tim

I'm glad you said that, Tim. I need to let Nick know about it hitting 415, because he told me it felt a bit harder than a Bastard.

• 2 weeks later...

Added to the list is a 3/8 x 7" "HKT" bolt, which hit 515 pounds.

• 4 weeks later...

Calibrating a few items for Chris Rice recently, I came across what are the easiest 1/4" grade 5 bolts I've ever tested. The six incher hit 355 and the 5.5 incher only 410. They're marked with a "FNL" and a "TY" on the head.

I haven't calibrated any of these for you, have I, Tim?

Eric,

Nope. You may be thinking about the "TH" G5 that you originally thought was the "JH". It hit 405 lbs.

The FNL ones are from fastenal. That's the kind I got from John Beatty to cert on and it shocked me how easy it was. I was planning on buying a bag of these real soon.

Lightest G5 you've calibrated for me was the "diamond" or "linear S" that everybody thought would be sky high and indeed it does feel harder to the hands but only hit 385 on the first shot and 390 on the second shot. Go figure. Tough crush I guess.

Does suprise me though that the FNL was that low. Good to know though as a way to work up the the harder "JH" G5s and similiar ones.

Thanks as always.

Tim

• 4 weeks later...

I have been reviewing lists of calibration and I have not found that these toys were calibrated:

- Stainless-Round 1 / 4 "x 7".

- Stainless-Hex 1 / 4 "x 7".

- Stainless-Square 1 / 4 "x 7".

- G2 Bolts 3 / 8 "x 7".

Is it possible that may amount to less than 500 lbs?, And be a step before the Red Nail.

I have been reviewing lists of calibration and I have not found that these toys were calibrated:

- Stainless-Round 1 / 4 "x 7".

- Stainless-Hex 1 / 4 "x 7".

- Stainless-Square 1 / 4 "x 7".

- G2 Bolts 3 / 8 "x 7".

Is it possible that may amount to less than 500 lbs?, And be a step before the Red Nail.

Jorge, it will depend on the particular piece of steel in question. I've calibrated G2 Bolts 3/8 x 7" under 500 pounds and over 600 pounds with several bolts scattered within that range. You're always welcome to send anything my way for calibration, free of charge, of course.

Thanks you Eric for always helping the bending world :rock

Edited by Alawadhi

• 1 month later...

I've added to the list some more of the hard Hexabastard stock at 7", 6.5", and 6". It's tough stuff, at 530 and 535 for the 7" length!

Also added is the brass 3/8" stock:

7" = 480

6.5" = 530

6" = 600

5.5" = 720

I did a Big Golden Bastard about a week ago and was really surprised at how mean that crush is. So, just for the fun of it I gave the Huge Golden a shot tonight. It went to well past 90 in like 10 seconds, then 5 minutes for all but the last 1/8", and finally, I spent another 15 minutes finishing it off to 2". I think I hate these more than stainless. Of course crush is my bending weakness.

The 1/2" x 7" brass has a serious attitude problem!!! 765 pounds barely woke it up. Flat on a table you can see 1/32" of air under it. I think it's one the few pieces of metal that Gazza should fear.

The 1/2" x 7" brass has a serious attitude problem!!! 765 pounds barely woke it up. Flat on a table you can see 1/32" of air under it. I think it's one the few pieces of metal that Gazza should fear.

HOLY CRAP!!! I thought it'd be hard, but that hard!?!?!? OMG!!! Are you even strong enough to fully cal it???

HOLY CRAP!!! I thought it'd be hard, but that hard!?!?!? OMG!!! Are you even strong enough to fully cal it???

I might me able to "hand and thigh" it, but I'm lacking plates and my calibrater would have to be beefed up.

1/4x7" hexagonal=255

Should this be 355? At 255 it should be just a little harder than the 1/4"x7" round and easier than the 1/4"x6" round. I've been able to bend both of the round pieces reverse, but I couldn't kink the hex at all.

1/4x7" hexagonal=255

Should this be 355? At 255 it should be just a little harder than the 1/4"x7" round and easier than the 1/4"x6" round. I've been able to bend both of the round pieces reverse, but I couldn't kink the hex at all.

It is just a little harder than the round. Your difficulty being able to reverse it is most likely a length issue. I'm better suited for 6" stock with reverse grip.

This is a crude hypothesis for the inability to fully calibrate the Fat Golden Bastard (1/2" x 7' round brass):

Assuming that the 480# rating for the Golden Bastard (3/8" x 7" round brass) is correct, and given that Eric's calibration can only go up to 765# or so, we must then consider the one major difference between the two pieces. That difference is the cross-sectional area. The cross sectional area ratio for the GB to the FGB is 9 to 16.

So, we arrive at the following simple equation: (480/9) x 16 ~ 853# = estimated calibration for the FGB.

This may not be right, and I'm not an engineer. But considering that Eric said that 765# put the tiniest bit of wobble into the FGB, my estimate of 853# seems quite reasonable to me. That being said, being able to bend that piece of metal deserves some serious praise :bow:bow:bow

Edited by Brad Manion

Eric,

At 1/2 inches, it sounds like this brass may be pretty close to the 1/2 inch HRS I sent you. Of course it was 8 inches. What do you think?

Tim

Brad, I'm thinking this bar would be well over 1,000 pounds.

Tim, I think this brass is harder than that HRS that hit 25 degrees with 845 pounds (which is about all the weight I have in plates).

I tried to calibrate another 5/16 x 7" square stainless tonight, but with 835 on the bar I only got a 23 degree bend. Maybe steel varies, because the last time I calibrated this bar it hit 595.

WOW, that's HUGE variation!

I tried to calibrate another 5/16 x 7" square stainless tonight, but with 835 on the bar I only got a 23 degree bend. Maybe steel varies, because the last time I calibrated this bar it hit 595.

From FBBC? WOW, steel definitely varies!! I thought that last batch seemed a little low considering the relationship between the Shiny and regular bastard, how the shiony is higher yet the 5/16" Stainless Square was 100 lbs lighter than the regular.

Brad, I'm thinking this bar would be well over 1,000 pounds.

Tim, I think this brass is harder than that HRS that hit 25 degrees with 845 pounds (which is about all the weight I have in plates).

Wow! And you think somebody may bend that unbraced?! I'm kinda skeptical on this one. I think Gazza may have trouble with that one. Do you mean that you think the brass at 7 inches is harder than the steel at 8 inches or are you saying that inch for inch the brass is tougher? I know there's several grades of brass and some I've had is easier than HRS and some is definately harder at 3/8 inch.

Question, have you ever calibrated a MOAB or even tried? I've got one just for a conversational piece but this brass may be even harder.

Incredible stuff.

Thanks Eric!

Tim