Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

John tells me that mutant square stainless came from the same batch as the 595, so I don't know what the heck is going on. :whacked

Derek, stainless isn't necessarily tougher than CRS. Generally the crush will be more difficult "pound for pound", though.

Tim, I've never put the Big Mama to the test. I've got a long list of grip stuff I have to buy for my contest and training purposes, but when my finances are looking better I do intend to beef up my calibration apparatus yet again. I'll also see if my grandfather wouldn't mind letting go of some 45 pound plates so I can start calibrating up to maybe 1,000 pounds. My only concern is the possibility of one of the clips slipping off the end of the bar. My hunch is this is a very remote possibility only calibrating to 30 degrees. :erm

I was only kidding around, Tim, I really don't think that brass will get bent by human hands, but Gazza might be able to do it if he got a little angry and psycho. :upsidedwn

And I forgot that HRS was one of the 8" pieces you sent. That makes it sort of a close race.

• 3 weeks later...

Foxman was kind enough to send me a few bolts for calibration. This is the first time I've ever calibrated an Edgin that wasn't a "triangle" brand.

These were both 6" Edgins:

- "NB" = 710 lbs.

- "JH" "FNL" = 685

I would assume that within a particular brand of Edgin there is a high degree of consistency, but comparing the different brands yields some significant variation, as is the case with their little brothers - the 1/4" grade 5 bolts.

Reds over the years change their strength. Same goes with the Bastards. The first Red calibrated at 410 and the first Bastard 440. The strongest Red came at 460 and the strongest calibrated Bastard came 450. But I have Bastards that will make the Hex look like a joke. They should at least calibrate 480.

Added to the list are two more 6" Edgins: "linear S" and a "W.T"

Added to the list is the "TY" "FNL", courtesy of Foxman. It's the "easiest" 6" Edgin I've calibrated to date, hitting 665.

• 3 weeks later...
Have you calibrated any 1/4" 307A G2's?

For Tim Tolbert, I calibrated a "GB" 307A 1/4" x 6" bolt at 210 pounds. But keep in mind that 307A bolts can vary considerably as you go from brand to brand. I've seen this with the 5/16" and 3/8" bolts.

I have a "NY" 307A...how is that strength compared to others? What is the easiest 1/4" g2 you have ever done? And, is it possible to find galvanized g2's so it's easier?

I have a "NY" 307A...how is that strength compared to others? What is the easiest 1/4" g2 you have ever done? And, is it possible to find galvanized g2's so it's easier?

The bolt mentioned above is the only I have in my records at 1/4". It may be that I've calibrated another bolt for someone and didn't keep a record of it, but I can't recall. Galvanized may or may not be easier. You're welcome to send one my way for calibration, if you'd like.

The bolt mentioned above is the only I have in my records at 1/4". It may be that I've calibrated another bolt for someone and didn't keep a record of it, but I can't recall. Galvanized may or may not be easier. You're welcome to send one my way for calibration, if you'd like.

what do the new g5's 5/16 with the triangle from ffbc cal at?

This seems to be a very consistent bolt, so I would guess it would be approximately 565 pounds, assuming you mean the 7" length.

Eric, fairly sure you cal'd a "BL" bolt and sent me the results via PM and it was 185 lbs. Sounds right too because the ones I have are easier than some tougher timber ties.

Later,

Tim

Eric, fairly sure you cal'd a "BL" bolt and sent me the results via PM and it was 185 lbs. Sounds right too because the ones I have are easier than some tougher timber ties.

Later,

Tim

Thanks, Tim!

Eric, the next time I get paid I'd like to send you a 3/8"X7" Brass-Hex to calibrate if you're interested. It's an expensive piece, so it's probably one you ought to calibrate and then finish off, lol. A friend of mine sent one to me a week ago and I finally bent it tonight to test it for him. He got a good deal on 10 feet of the 3/8" Brass-Hex from a friend of his who is only at the G5 level. That guy bought a bunch of it thinking it was going to be much easier than it is. He was so crushed (pun intended) that he sold it all to Joe, haha.

I cut it to 6.5" to start. Not bad on the kink and the sweep. Loaded up big time on the crush. Really not sure what it compares to because I'm not at my best. I've been working on my crushdown the past few weeks and improving quite a bit. The kink and sweep are now what test my shoulders. So the crushdown is really all I can be more objective about. I'd say the crushdown was similar to a Big Shiny. When I got it to 3", I cut it down to 6" and crushed it down from there to 2.5". It felt like every bit of a Huge Shiny at that length. Then I cut it to 5.5" and crushed it to 1 and 7/8". Again, felt like the equivalent length in Shiny to me.

Guys with a weakish kink and sweep and a strong crushdown will love this stuff! Brass is cool. Maybe Beatty will carry the Golden Hexabastards? Anyway, I'll get back to you in 2 weeks and just have it sent to your house, and maybe an extra so you can report on how bad you kick its butt.

Eric, the next time I get paid I'd like to send you a 3/8"X7" Brass-Hex to calibrate if you're interested. It's an expensive piece, so it's probably one you ought to calibrate and then finish off, lol. A friend of mine sent one to me a week ago and I finally bent it tonight to test it for him. He got a good deal on 10 feet of the 3/8" Brass-Hex from a friend of his who is only at the G5 level. That guy bought a bunch of it thinking it was going to be much easier than it is. He was so crushed (pun intended) that he sold it all to Joe, haha.

I cut it to 6.5" to start. Not bad on the kink and the sweep. Loaded up big time on the crush. Really not sure what it compares to because I'm not at my best. I've been working on my crushdown the past few weeks and improving quite a bit. The kink and sweep are now what test my shoulders. So the crushdown is really all I can be more objective about. I'd say the crushdown was similar to a Big Shiny. When I got it to 3", I cut it down to 6" and crushed it down from there to 2.5". It felt like every bit of a Huge Shiny at that length. Then I cut it to 5.5" and crushed it to 1 and 7/8". Again, felt like the equivalent length in Shiny to me.

Guys with a weakish kink and sweep and a strong crushdown will love this stuff! Brass is cool. Maybe Beatty will carry the Golden Hexabastards? Anyway, I'll get back to you in 2 weeks and just have it sent to your house, and maybe an extra so you can report on how bad you kick its butt.

Ben, that would be great! Thank you.

My bending is actually the weakest of all my grip disciplines now, but it's only my crush that's lagging. I've lost a good deal of upper body power when I lost 20 pounds, so it stands to reason. But my kink and sweep are still strong. Maybe I use more wrist on the sweep than I've previously given myself credit for. I suspect that brass at 7" will go down for me, but not easily.

When was the KOAB that calibrated 780 done? It's typed on the right side on the list, so I'm guessing recent batch?

When was the KOAB that calibrated 780 done? It's typed on the right side on the list, so I'm guessing recent batch?

David, I can't find a date for that one, but yes, it was my most recent calibration done a couple of months ago.

Eric, tell me what you think about this idea: I could also send you 2 pieces each (1 to calibrate, 1 for you) of .332"X7" Drill Rod (O-1), .339"X7" Drill Rod (O-1), .343"X7" Drill Rod (O-1). I haven't seen rankings for those pieces in O-1. The .332"X7" Drill Rod (O-1) is harder than a 7" Edgin. My best 7" bend on this a long while back was .348"X7" Drill Rod (O-1), and I really want to know for old time sake how hard of a bend it was. Guessing somewhere in the 600s. Course it might be one of those that calibrates low and then shows you its crushdown face.

Eric, tell me what you think about this idea: I could also send you 2 pieces each (1 to calibrate, 1 for you) of .332"X7" Drill Rod (O-1), .339"X7" Drill Rod (O-1), .343"X7" Drill Rod (O-1). I haven't seen rankings for those pieces in O-1. The .332"X7" Drill Rod (O-1) is harder than a 7" Edgin. My best 7" bend on this a long while back was .348"X7" Drill Rod (O-1), and I really want to know for old time sake how hard of a bend it was. Guessing somewhere in the 600s. Course it might be one of those that calibrates low and then shows you its crushdown face.

I just checked my records and I believe I've only calibrated W-1 drill rod. But yes, send whatever you'd like me to calibrate.

What have you calibrated of W1 DR Eric? And what did it come out as? I don't want to send you stuff you've already done.

What have you calibrated of W1 DR Eric? And what did it come out as? I don't want to send you stuff you've already done.

Here ya' go:

W-1 @ 7"

21/64 = 495

11/32 = 545

23/64 = 675

W-1 @ 6"

17/64 = 350

9/32 = 355

19/64 = 420

5/16 = 460

21/64 = 650

11/32 = 670