Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

Man that is awesome. I long to be able to bend one of those at any length. Oh yeah, and with any pads too buddy!

Tim

Congrats Ben!!! :rock

Many thanks guys.

Neil, I am only bending at this point. I'm also doing a bit of standard weight training right now, so that should keep me barely at the #3 level I think for quite a while. I have a VG but have even shelved that at the moment. I appreciate the kind words. There is more to it than being burnt out on the grip stuff though. Not public information.

Booyah, thanks man. You are way past strong enough to bend one of these. It must be completely a form issue at this point. Devote a month to bending 7" or longer stock and you'll melt one down to slag. I've bent a 6" Edgin but not in one continuous workout yet. My crushdown is not really a weak point so much anymore, so one of these days it'll drop to a knee.

Thanks Ben!!!! I am continuously working it :) I feel very close.

Just for giggles, I sent Eric some new goodies. a few 5/16 square stainless, 3/8 hex stainless, Some of the newer Bastards, even though I saw he already had some.

Just for giggles, I sent Eric some new goodies. a few 5/16 square stainless, 3/8 hex stainless, Some of the newer Bastards, even though I saw he already had some.

I don't know what is it John, but I just took out a piece of 6" square and all I can do is put a 1 penny kink into those bastards. Those things feel ridiculous. :help

• 3 weeks later...

I acquired some very interesting results today, thanks to steel donations by Tim T, John Beatty, and Mike Hadland.

Mike and I acquired an Edgin calibration of 600 pounds with Mike's new device. Unsure if this was just a tougher Edgin or perhaps his device was not synchronized with mine, I calibrated one of the Edgins from Mike's batch today. Keep in mind that this is the same type "triangle" bolts I've calibrated in the past. It hit 585, which is 20 more pounds than the ones from my batch. It's still relatively very consistent, but there apparently is some variation with the Edgins. It also demonstrates that Mike's device is acceptably close to mine and should yield basically the same results.

Here's all the stuff I tugged on today. Notice that soft square and that ungodly hex!

- Lawson 1/4 x 6" grade 6 = 405 (only grade 6 I've ever calibrated)

- LE (Lake Erie) 1/4 x 6" grade 8 = 485

- FBBC 5/16 x 7" stainless square = 595

- FBBC 3/8 x 7" stainless hexagonal = ??? (805 pounds only got 9 degrees)

- 5/16 x 7" "triangle" grade 5 = 585

I dare say even Gazza the Great might break a sweat on that FBBC shiny hex!

Thanks Eric for doing all this for the bending world :rock

Thanks Eric, those are some interesting results. I like how the Edgins all seem to feel the same to me.

Thanks Eric! I had said the Grade 6 felt like a tough G5 and I knew that Lake Erie G8 was a tough one. Anybody looking to duplicate the old L9 bolts would do good to locate some of these. Too bad they're so hard to find.

Tim

I've got a question:

5/16x7" FBBC Stainless Square=595

5/16x7" Square=705

How is that possible? That a 5/16x7" Square is harder then a Stainless Square of the same dimensions?

I've got a question:

5/16x7" Square=705

How is that possible? That a 5/16x7" Square is harder then a Stainless Square of the same dimensions?

It appears that it's a case of soft stainless and hard crs.

Touche.. Mr. Milfeld, touche

I've got a question:

5/16x7" Square=705

I bet the crush on it will still be up there with that 705lbs crs square.

I acquired some very interesting results today, thanks to steel donations by Tim T, John Beatty, and Mike Hadland.

Mike and I acquired an Edgin calibration of 600 pounds with Mike's new device. Unsure if this was just a tougher Edgin or perhaps his device was not synchronized with mine, I calibrated one of the Edgins from Mike's batch today. Keep in mind that this is the same type "triangle" bolts I've calibrated in the past. It hit 585, which is 20 more pounds than the ones from my batch. It's still relatively very consistent, but there apparently is some variation with the Edgins. It also demonstrates that Mike's device is acceptably close to mine and should yield basically the same results.

Here's all the stuff I tugged on today. Notice that soft square and that ungodly hex!

I dare say even Gazza the Great might break a sweat on that FBBC shiny hex!Eric what did the 3/8" stainless Hex i sent you calibrate at.

I've got a question:

5/16x7" Square=705

I bet the crush on it will still be up there with that 705lbs crs square.

That's what I was thinking.

I dare say even Gazza the Great might break a sweat on that FBBC shiny hex!Eric what did the 3/8" stainless Hex i sent you calibrate at.

765 pounds put 1/8" of air under it.

• 2 weeks later...

I don't think it's possible to calibrate a Mag Shiny, unless Andy Bolton agrees to come over and do the pulling. I've tried somewhere around 6 Mag Shinys over the course of my bending journey and they've all but a few remained pretty much unscathed. And those few were usually a few degrees or maybe up to 20 degrees soon after my Insane bend. But I'm forever the optimist that I'll wake up and without knowing it my strength level will be upgraded somehow. So I wrapped another Mag Shiny up again today and took it to 61 degrees, which is exactly where I got one the other day.

The moral of the story is this stock is incredible. Phenomenal at the shorter lengths like the Mag and under. The Grand Shiny will be done by possibly a dozen guys in the next few years with some real technique and focus work (other than the top 2 right now), but I honestly don't think we'll see the day where more than 3 or 4 guys at most certify on the Mag Shiny in our lifetimes. It just boggles my mind how someone can crush it down from there. And of course it's all a constant game of perspective. I used to think the exact same about the Grade 8. But it's really different once you get to the level where you're warming up with Bastards and Shiny Bastards and a few times an Edgin. You get to the point where you're coming awfully close to your genetic limits. And then you start to realize of course how far you've come but also how much things slow down and you claw and fight for each little PR or increase in strength.

The wave of crazy bending progress will hopefully continue unchecked for a long time. Chalk that up to different training methods, better technique, and the obvious fact that more guys are getting into it, and maybe in 10 years time the Top 50 List will be populated with Insane Bastards and King of All Bastards and other seemingly impossible stock.

I haven't tried an Insane Shiny lately. Only tried 2 of those. I remember because they were both broken. Neither of them moved when I applied pressure. If I get my Grand Shiny tomorrow I'll celebrate by trying an Insane Shiny just to make GetAGrip87 laugh until it hurts. He's coming over and we're going to mow some steel down.

Congrats again to Gazza and Terminator. Both are the possessors of incredible strength and aren't likely to be challenged for those top spots anytime soon. Or ever.

Ben,

Try cutting another inch off and finishing it. Amazing thought isn't it? Prety wild though that you got it to 61 degrees. To me that's an incredible feat of strength in itself.

Great Job on the 61 degrees. That's probably 60.999 degrees more than I'd have gotten. And it would probably have just given me the 1/1000th cause it felt sorry for me.

Later and good luck on tomorrow's bending!

Tim

Ben you and I both know that you can get it.

Also get that steel tomorrow. We should be expecting a Grand Shiny Cert done by you tomorrow.

Ben,

Try cutting another inch off and finishing it. Amazing thought isn't it? Prety wild though that you got it to 61 degrees. To me that's an incredible feat of strength in itself.

Great Job on the 61 degrees. That's probably 60.999 degrees more than I'd have gotten. And it would probably have just given me the 1/1000th cause it felt sorry for me.

Tim

Thanks Tim. Yeah, I thought of the fact that he's cut an inch off that and done it within the time limit. Can't even comprehend that still, so I don't think about it. I'm feeling pretty strong tonight. Hope it carries over to tomorrow.

Also get that steel tomorrow. We should be expecting a Grand Shiny Cert done by you tomorrow.

No doubt Rob. I know I can do it, but the million dollar put up or shut up is the 5 minute time limit. I'm hoping to announce that the Grand Shiny has met its maker tomorrow...I'll keep you posted.

Ben,

Tim

Thanks Tim. Yeah, I thought of the fact that he's cut an inch off that and done it within the time limit. Can't even comprehend that still, so I don't think about it. I'm feeling pretty strong tonight. Hope it carries over to tomorrow.

No doubt Rob. I know I can do it, but the million dollar put up or shut up is the 5 minute time limit. I'm hoping to announce that the Grand Shiny has met its maker tomorrow...I'll keep you posted.

You BETTER smoke it Ben :rock

You BETTER smoke it Ben :rock

Thanks Mike. I wouldn't say I smoked it, but I got it today under 3 minutes on video. Quite a hard bastard on the crushdown. I was so jacked up on coffee (16 cups by that time) and a NOS drink that Scott brought me that I hardly felt the GSB until 90 degrees. Then you can be damn sure it made its presence known to me again. Fought me for every single 1/16" that I squeezed out of it. They don't call it a bastard for nothing.

Congratulations once again on a truely awesome bend!!! :rock

Maybe I will bring us each 2 bottles of NOS next time. (may cause massive PR's and/or heart to explode)

Everyone should try some NOS!!!

Congratulations once again on a truely awesome bend!!! :rock

Maybe I will bring us each 2 bottles of NOS next time. (may cause massive PR's and/or heart to explode)

Everyone should try some NOS!!!

LOL Scott! That stuff ought to be illegal when combined with that much coffee.

• 3 months later...

Courtesy of Tim Taylor, I just calibrated a piece of FBBC 5/16 x 7" hex from the latest batch. It's considerably tougher than the first batch I calibrated at 485. This one hit a 530 pounds.