Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

Is it fair to assume this is from the batch that terminator bent? I remember John saying he had sent you one not long ago.

Tim

Tim, for the time being I won't be disclosing the calibration ranking of the bar Pat bent.

Why? the mystery :D is it because:-

1/ the bar calibrates to 600plus lbs meaning it is not possible for me to be that far ahead/stronger :D

2/ the bar calibrates out at between 700plus and my 3/8"stainless so it aint that big a deal after all so the king crs bar really does deserve its title :D

3/ the bar calibrates out at under some of the others you have calibrated meaning yourself,Aaron and me etc have all bent bars harder than that so its KOAB title is a little flawed :D

4/ there is going to be shit slung either way so you dont know what to say :tongue

Eric

Do you have any 3/8"x7" G5 bolts and what do you think they would calibrate out to.

Gazza, no, I've never come across any of those bolts.

Eric i was sent 2 from someone in the US so they must be available there.

Is it fair to assume this is from the batch that terminator bent? I remember John saying he had sent you one not long ago.

Tim

Tim, for the time being I won't be disclosing the calibration ranking of the bar Pat bent.

Why? the mystery :D is it because:-

1/ the bar calibrates to 600plus lbs meaning it is not possible for me to be that far ahead/stronger :D

2/ the bar calibrates out at between 700plus and my 3/8"stainless so it aint that big a deal after all so the king crs bar really does deserve its title :D

3/ the bar calibrates out at under some of the others you have calibrated meaning yourself,Aaron and me etc have all bent bars harder than that so its KOAB title is a little flawed :D

4/ there is going to be shit slung either way so you dont know what to say :tongue

Eric

Do you have any 3/8"x7" G5 bolts and what do you think they would calibrate out to.

Gazza, no, I've never come across any of those bolts.

Eric i was sent 2 from someone in the US so they must be available there.

Gary, I realise the bolts exist. I'm only stating that I've never come across any in my travels. Stuff like that usually has to purchased in bulk quantity from a bolt supplier.

As to the rest of your post, all I can say is I've been asked to keep the information confidential.

Sorry, I didn't mean to jump the gun about speculating that this was Pat's bar but the time would've been about right as evidenced below in a response from John Beatty to the question/statement that I made up above it. Curious to see if the 665 bar (which I bet is it) is the one the terminator bent when the results are finally given out. Glad it's only "for the time being". Anyway, heck of a bend in anybody's book and thanks again for the calibrations. I absolutely eat em up.

Plus do we know yet which bar Pat bent? Was it the 735 or the later ones? I'm sure Eric will post the results to avoid any further issues.

Tim T - There is a bar from the 10pc I sent Pat from the same 12' piece of steel on the way to Eric. We'll see what it calibrates to. It isn't from the current batch Eric calibrated. It may be the old tougher stuff, it may not. I go through 3/8 a lot slower than 5/16 & that was a long time ago. I've only bought 3/8's three times.

What if the scenario happens that someone bends a big G8?

Tim

Didn,t Toyah Wilcox sing a song called its a MYSTERY? :tongue

Soon David Copperfields gonna show up and turn a 645lbs KOAB into a 745lbs KOAB :D

A common Home Depot bolt, the "BJC" 5/16 x 6", hit 545 pounds.

Again I know I'm slow Eric so I'm going to need you to bare with me.. I was reading your post and was wondering when it went down further in the list and it explained the 1/4 stock and stopped at 5" that number next to it, is it pounds or what?

Again you have done a great job explaining it but I'm slow so I need a little bit more attention

Thank you,

-Rob

Again I know I'm slow Eric so I'm going to need you to bare with me.. I was reading your post and was wondering when it went down further in the list and it explained the 1/4 stock and stopped at 5" that number next to it, is it pounds or what?

Again you have done a great job explaining it but I'm slow so I need a little bit more attention

Thank you,

-Rob

No problem. Yes, all the calibration figures are listed in pounds.

Alright then I have another question.. the 5" 1/4 came in at 425lbs.. so far every 1/2" there has been an increase of 60-65 lbs.. putting a 4.5" piece of 1/4" at 490lbs.. so are you telling me that I should be able to bend a 5/16 7" round that is rated at 440lbs?

Thank you for the help

Alright then I have another question.. the 5" 1/4 came in at 425lbs.. so far every 1/2" there has been an increase of 60-65 lbs.. putting a 4.5" piece of 1/4" at 490lbs.. so are you telling me that I should be able to bend a 5/16 7" round that is rated at 440lbs?

Thank you for the help

I'm not Eric, I just play him on TV. You can only compare the calibrations when they're the same length. So a 7" piece that takes 440 pounds to bend (to 30 degrees) is going to be FAR harder than a 4.5" piece that takes 440 pounds to bend. He can probably explain it better. We all thought the same thing until he told us differently...or at least I thought the same thing.

Lol well you do a great job playing him..

I sorta understand but not fully, so thank you for clearing some of that up for me :D

If you have a 7 inch piece that calibrates at 300 lbs and a 6 inch piece that calibrates at 300 lbs then the 7 inch will have to be tougher or thicker steel to maintain that strength over the longer distance. Now, usually the length would also help you to bend it but since we're doing unbraced bending then your hands are farther away from the "fulcrum" point at which the steel bends so it's like the sledge levering effect and the leverage kinda works against you. That doesn't totally explain it but sorta. Now take the same 7 inch piece and cut it to 6 inches and it will be much harder since the poundage would go up at a much quicker rate.

To my hands a 7 inch piece of steel that cals at 300 lbs feels about as difficult as a 6 incher that hits 350 to 375 depending upon the type of metal.

Later,

Tim

• 5 weeks later...

Calibrated a new King of All Bastards bar, courtesty of Acorn, which hit a whoppin' 780 pounds. It was clean and shiny in appearance.

A 6" Edgin hit 715 for me today, the last one hit 745.

Ahh keep em coming Eric! Do you have any preliminary guess in your head what the MOAB might hit?

Tim

Ahh keep em coming Eric! Do you have any preliminary guess in your head what the MOAB might hit?

Tim

Tim, I haven't the foggiest. But just think about it. I calibrated a King at 780, so could you imagine what a 7/16" bar of comparable steel would hit! Keeping in mind that the jump from 3/8 to 7/16 is much, much bigger than that of 5/16 to 3/8... yikes!

Yeah I think the width to length ratio starts playing a major factor too. It will be interesting to see if anyone will ever do anything with it. Of course Gazza will probably want a stainless version of that too.

Tim

• 3 weeks later...

I calibrated a Bastard from the most recent batch at 450 pounds.

Added to the list is the FBBC 1/4 x 7" hexagonal at 255 pounds.

Thanks Eric, I really didn't know where to place those at and people were saying 260ish so it's good there assumptions or w/e were correct

Well, I'm guilty of still bending even though I have sold most of my grip stuff. Had Josh Dale over today and after watching him on the grippers, blobs and a bit of pinching, I bent some stuff with him witnessing, and my wife running the digital video camera. Warmed up with a Hexabastard and then utterly destroyed a 6.5" Edgin in 66 seconds. Took it to 1 and 5/8" in that time limit. With fat pads, so of course it's not legit. But if this is acceptable with Josh as a witness, then I'd love to move myself slightly up the list from my Shiny of a while back. Thanks in advance Eric, and I'm still sorry about not making it to your comp man. Didn't mean to be an A-hole.

Well, I'm guilty of still bending even though I have sold most of my grip stuff. Had Josh Dale over today and after watching him on the grippers, blobs and a bit of pinching, I bent some stuff with him witnessing, and my wife running the digital video camera. Warmed up with a Hexabastard and then utterly destroyed a 6.5" Edgin in 66 seconds. Took it to 1 and 5/8" in that time limit. With fat pads, so of course it's not legit. But if this is acceptable with Josh as a witness, then I'd love to move myself slightly up the list from my Shiny of a while back. Thanks in advance Eric, and I'm still sorry about not making it to your comp man. Didn't mean to be an A-hole.

That's awfully impressive, Ben! Those bars keep me busy for about 5 minutes or more. But I'm working on it.

And no worries about not being able to make the contest. We missed your presence, but it's certainly understandable when other things take priority.

OK.. Ben..I will say this in public here, in spite of the fact that this thread really isn't the place to do so. You are so very talented at bending and crushing so PLEASE don't give it up. It doesn't have to be all consuming and you can just train somewhat to maintain and I know it still is fun for you.

I know you sold lots of grip stuff, but don't you still have that VG ? If so, you can train crush with that, and at your level since there aren't many microloading options above 300 lb, add a 3rd spring.

As far as bending, I and our community would love to hear about you making a few tough bends maybe twice a week if you are able.

You've been a good friend and mentor over the years and I hope that never changes ... neilkaz ...

Congrats Ben :rock I'm hoping to get a 7" one of these days/years. Have you bent a 6 incher yet?