Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

Eric

What do you think 3/8"round stainless at 7"would calibrate at also sub 6"fbbc shinys.

Of course it would depend on the particular stainless in question, but I'm sure there's 3/8 x 7" stainless that would calibrate well over 700 pounds. With regards to the FBBC sub 6" shinys, the results would be somewhat misleading as to the difficulty of the full bend, as that stuff gets so ridiculous past the ninety degree mark. I'm not really sure I have enough plates to calibrate a 5.5" Shiny!

Eric

Thanks for the prompt reply :D

You have 735lbs for the 3/8"round(fbbc) I know for a fact that the 3/8"round stainless is definately harder especially on the crush :D I have tested 8 different pieces of 3/8"CRS round all different in hardness/material the stainless was harder than 7 of the pieces and i know that 4 of the pieces of 3/8"i tested are harder than the fbbc 3/8"round for the same length.

As regards the shorter shinys i meant to say 5"and below not 6" :D

Eric

You have 735lbs for the 3/8"round(fbbc) I know for a fact that the 3/8"round stainless is definately harder especially on the crush :D

Gazza, remember that a shorter bar with a higher calibration isn't necessarily more difficult than a longer bar with a lower calibration. I'm sure a real short Shiny would calibrate higher than all sorts of longer, more difficult stock.

Eric

You have 735lbs for the 3/8"round(fbbc) I know for a fact that the 3/8"round stainless is definately harder especially on the crush :D

Gazza, remember that a shorter bar with a higher calibration isn't necessarily more difficult than a longer bar with a lower calibration. I'm sure a real short Shiny would calibrate higher than all sorts of longer, more difficult stock.

I agree but for the same length IE:-a 7"length i found the stainless harder than 7x7"CRS pieces i tested.

The shorter stuff for me sub 5"stuff is harder on the fingers,my technique suffers a bit here as well :D and my hands aint big i still think as greg has pionted out that the next thicker longer length piece is the better bend.

Okay, I see what you're saying. Agreed, for sure.

Eric, I finally got that new Red Nail out in the mail to you today. Hope it calibrates at noticeably harder so I don't look ridiculous. :whistel

Thanks to Acorn I finally got to try one of the 7" Stainless Hexabastards today. Got a 25 degree kink in it but that was where it froze. That stuff is super hard! I'm curious who's tried and/or finished off any of the Stainless Hex stuff. Surely a few have. I'd love to know what they calibrate at though.

Also thanks to Acorn I bent a 3/8"X7" CRS that felt pretty mild, but still hard for me on the crushdown. Somewhere around 3 minutes for that one. Don't remember if Aaron told me the calibration on it or not...sorry if that's already been answered. Failed at 85 degrees on the 3/8"X6" CRS though. The same one that Acorn bent fully a while back! Heck of a bend man. :mosher

Ended up putting a micro kink in a 5/16"X7" Grade 8 also. Not really measureable in the normal fashion.

Thanks to Acorn I finally got to try one of the 7" Stainless Hexabastards today. Got a 25 degree kink in it but that was where it froze. That stuff is super hard! I'm curious who's tried and/or finished off any of the Stainless Hex stuff. Surely a few have. I'd love to know what they calibrate at though.

Also thanks to Acorn I bent a 3/8"X7" CRS that felt pretty mild, but still hard for me on the crushdown. Somewhere around 3 minutes for that one. Don't remember if Aaron told me the calibration on it or not...sorry if that's already been answered. Failed at 85 degrees on the 3/8"X6" CRS though. The same one that Acorn bent fully a while back! Heck of a bend man. :mosher

Ended up putting a micro kink in a 5/16"X7" Grade 8 also. Not really measureable in the normal fashion.

He forgets to mention, that he wasn't feeling that good and bent anyway :whacked

Eric, I finally got that new Red Nail out in the mail to you today. Hope it calibrates at noticeably harder so I don't look ridiculous. :whistel
ME TOO! I have also been telling people how much harder they are. :whacked

I haven't sent any of that 3/8 to Eric, but using my relative torque method I got a 7" piece at about the same as a shiny to 30deg. crush may be tougher, I can't normally tell much difference between stock until it is a near max bend. That stainless Hex is pretty fun I have to admit. Good job on it. It was truly beastly.

- Aaron

Well, guys, I want to know what stocks you'd like to see. I can easily get "king of all shiny bastards" 3/8" stainless. I don't have the availability of stainless hex locally. I'm looking into 11/32 crs. I have 5/16 grade 8's in stock, I have 6 & 7" 5/16 grade 5's (with NOBODY on the cert lists). Anything else you'd like to see? I have 7/16, too.

Well, guys, I want to know what stocks you'd like to see. I can easily get "king of all shiny bastards" 3/8" stainless. I don't have the availability of stainless hex locally. I'm looking into 11/32 crs. I have 5/16 grade 8's in stock, I have 6 & 7" 5/16 grade 5's (with NOBODY on the cert lists). Anything else you'd like to see? I have 7/16, too.

I would like to see the 11/32 stuff, bigger stainless, whether that means 11/32 stainless or 3/8 doesn't matter to me. Stainless hex in 1/4 and 5/16 would be very nice too.

- Aaron

I would like to try 5/16 hex stainless. and 11/32. I would love to get some 11/32 let me know when you get some. King of all shiny bastards would be insane :whacked . Next time I visit Fatboy, I will cert with the 7 inch 5/16 Grade 5. Could you get some Drill Rods. they have all kinds of sizes. I Bent one of the ones that acorn gave fatboy, it was extremly springy.

3/8 stainless hex ???? OMG :whacked:whacked:whacked . Is that possible ? I don't know these days. I thought 3/8 CRS was impossible. Hey john, see if you can also get 11/32 stainless as well. maybe 11/32 hex too.

Kevin

Never say never bro i am just looking to the future as i have alreadsy bent some 3/8"stainless round video is on youtube :D

Ive also bent some 5/16"stainless hex shorter than 7" but not on video yet but maxwell has seen me go at it with the stainless hex :D

Scott

Thanks for the link i prefare the longer uncut version without the soundtrack much more intense in my book this video hardly shows how hard that particular bend was :D

I calibrated a 5/16 x 7" piece of stainless hex for Booyah, but I'm not sure if it was a FBBC piece. It hit 615 pounds!

I calibrated a 5/16 x 7" piece of stainless hex for Booyah, but I'm not sure if it was a FBBC piece. It hit 615 pounds!

Fantastic! Thanks for that bit of info Eric. I was amazed at how hard the kink was too...not like the 5/16" Stainless that seemed a bit harder on the kink but mainly kicked in around the 45-90 degree range.

Gazza that was un-freaking-believable :blink not 3/8s CRS but 3/8s Stainless OMG :ohmy that just blows my mind. I was wore out just watching it because I found myself straining along with you. Your intensity is awesome but the endurance factor of keeping it up even after the steel cooled a bit was just mind-boggling. :whacked I am just stunned and in awe of that bend, what's next rebar, a stop sign or flag pole? :tongue

Yes, that truly is a MIND BOGGLING bend there Gazza! :mosher Your money would be safe in a contest with me!!!