Calibrated Fat Bastard Stocks

EricMilfeld

Eric - about the only thing I'd like to see now is the information put into a graph type format I could hang on the wall. I'd do it but my computer skills are only exceeded by my math skills. Maybe show both the poundages and the percent in the same box.

• 5 months later...

You'll notice that I calibrated some new stock for this list. For those who request it, Fat Bastard Barbell is now offering 5/16" hexagonal bars. I calibrated 6, 6.5, and 7" bars and discovered this stuff to be an ideal bridge for the gap between the 5/16" round and 5/16" grade 5 bolts. The hexagonal is, on average, about 11% or 12% tougher than the 5/16" round. And as an added bonus it "looks cool", to quote Mr. Beatty. ;)

thank you for the time and information Eric

Thanks for the update, Eric.

• 2 weeks later...

You guys are gonna like this. I put Eric's numbers into a spread sheet and plotted them like Climber511 suggested. I've got three versions:

Image (viewable in your web browser)

PDF (easy printing if you have adobe reader)

Excel (includes source data if you want to change it)

Seeing this makes me wish I had attempted a 5/16" G2 bolt at the BBB. Feel free to do whatever you want with any of the files, assuming Eric's cool with his numbers being used in that way.

Great work Scott! Thanks for the work man.

-Sean

Thanks Scott - looking at the chart that way is both encourageing and disscourageing. Nice to see where I am but bad to see how far I have to go. Thanks fellows!

Edited by climber511

Good stuff, Scott.

Thanks! :happy

Scott-

thank you for doing this! I like it, it looks like a good hill to climb!

Yeah the hill is tempting. I just sent John an order for a beginners bag. With the progression of stock laid out like this and available from one place, I'm eager to return to bending again. I stopped largely because it is a hassle to get stock together and bending pointy bars hurts.

When I tried the FBBC stock at the BBB last weekend, I found that John rounds off the ends of the bars and it makes them much less painful to bend. A lot nicer than the sharp ends on the Ironmind nails or stuff you cut with bolt cutters. I used to file those down with a bastard mill file, but it was a total pain in the butt.

Scott-

Like Eric said though, you can only meaningfully compare steel of the same length. That chart has the 5/16 7" listed easier than a grade 8, which there is no way, not even close.

Bob, this is where you're supposed to download the Excel file and re-plot it in a more logical way for us :D

Here's a shot at representing it by length. Short of ordering the different steel by hand, it's hard to compare the difficulties of all the different stocks in one plot.

Web Browser Friendly

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/FBBCSteelProgressionByLength.JPG

Good for printing, requires Adobe Reader

http://www.gripfaq.com/gb/FBBCSteelProgressionByLength.PDF

Thanks for doing that, Scott! It's helpful to have a visual element added to the list.

Fantastic Eric and Scott! :bow

I've printed off a copy for every room in the house. The Red will die before next year is over! :flame

• 3 months later...

I've added the calibrations for a 6" grade 9 bolt, as well as as 5.5" grade 8. The grade 9 happens to rank equal to the 1/4" square.

• 1 month later...

just love this list and reply to refresh it!

just love this list

agreed. i appreciate all the hard work eric; you did a great job :rock

question for you. with the FBBC round stock, i see you have only calibrated up to the 5.5" at 695lbs. would the 5" and 4.5" follow the same 15% increase from a reduction of a half-inch? in other words, would it be proper to estimate that the 5" is calibrated at 799lbs and the 4.5" at 919lbs? thanx for the response in advance, and thanx again for the work you have contributed.

just love this list

agreed. i appreciate all the hard work eric; you did a great job :rock

question for you. with the FBBC round stock, i see you have only calibrated up to the 5.5" at 695lbs. would the 5" and 4.5" follow the same 15% increase from a reduction of a half-inch? in other words, would it be proper to estimate that the 5" is calibrated at 799lbs and the 4.5" at 919lbs? thanx for the response in advance, and thanx again for the work you have contributed.

Ya'll are very welcome!

On paper it works out that way, but I've got a hunch that the actual calibration results might come out even higher.