PINCHING EXPERIMENT

Guest kINGPIN

Guest kINGPIN

Recently I put up a post asking about using the grippers for pinching work.  This may not have produced a lot for others who have tryed it, but I am going to do a little experiment.  I have not got a lot to loose.  I am not in any comps or the like, and pinch friping is not that important to me.  the only reason I train it is because I want my hands to be steal and do not want a weak link in my training.

This is going to be the rough outline for my workout for the next couple of months;

As always this is to be done after my weights workouts.

MONDAY

--------------

1 set-  Hangs from a chin bar (to stretch out my spine after my squating and act as a kind of warm up for the grip work)

3 sets-  Farmers walk

2 sets- Crushers

1 set- Pinch grips with gripper

THURSDAY

---------------

1 sets-  wrist curls

1 sets-  reverse wrist curls

3 sets-  Crushers

2 sets-  Pinchgrips with crushers

GOALS

---------

At present I am pinching two 10k plates.  I can not even get the two 20k plates off the floor.  The chances of me being able to hold the plates for time are pretty slim but with this routine I aim to be able to get them off the floor, even if they just drop straight away.  These goals may be a bit far fetched but it is goals like these that make me work harder.  If anyone is interested in this I will keep you posted on how my experiment goes.

Guest kINGPIN

I will be cycling my intensity throughout the two months but only by adding sets and decreasing sets.  Also, as my grip work comes second to my bodybuilding I may cut back a bit if I have a real heavy workout but this should be as a form of cycling and should not effect the experiment.

Guest kINGPIN

WEEK 1

Workout 1

----------------

I have been under the weather for a week or so know and it has'nt gone.  I took off thursdays workout (chest, shoulder, triceps and abs) and have had to take off todays workout (Legs, back, biceps).  However, I am determined to reach my goal and so did arounf half an hour of pinching with the grippers while watching the Simpsons.  My hands feel great.  Looking forward to hopefully getting back into it on thursday.  Either way I am still concenting on my grip (but only using the grippers for now) work as this is unlikely to effect my recovery.  

Guest kINGPIN

Still ill today and had to miss yet another workout but again kept up the work with the crushers as I lay in bed.  I started with about 5 sets of crushes on each hand and then moved on to as much pinch work with them as my fingers could handle-  The real work should start next week when I get back down the gym and do some farmers walks and the like.

I had another session with the grippers last night that lasted just over half an hour.  I closed the number 1 so many times for so many sets that I lost count.  It is definatly time to move on to the #2 now.  The spring felt funny and was making noises.  On the ironmind website it said that if you keep reping out on the gripper it can brake.  So I then moved on to my pinch gripping.  This week felt quite strong.  I think my muscles are learning the movement well now and are becoming more efficient.  One thing I did last week but forgot to mention is that the shape of the grippers makes it only possible to work 2 digits at a time.  The help with this I now hold the gripper in the upward position to work the smaller digits.

Tonight is the night I get back into my training.  I have been out for about two weeks now and do not look forward to the poundages that I will have to climb again but it has to be done.  My hands are still tired from mondays workout so I am going to let them rest until this monday coming and then get to the routine that I have planned.  I am giving my pinch gripping all I have got and hope I can reach where I want to be nice and quickly.

On wednesday night I went to my first session of Wing Chun.  My arms, chest and back are absolutly dead!!!!  I was not planning on that so it looks like I am going to have to stay away from the weights tonight.  I intend to use the gripper tommorow depending on how my forearms feel.

Kingpin,

What's wing chun like in the UK? I hear that it is big over there...

What is your lineage?

I wanna talk wing chun but all of the websites just have politics and bickering (not like the grippage).

E-mail me...i'm in the member list...

visit www.ipching.org (its under construction)

Hey AP,

just sent you an e-mail, wing chun as far as I know is not as popular as karate judo etc. but it is one martial art I really want to learn.  And the grip work should be useful in it from some of the moves I learnt the other night.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest kINGPIN

I started work today on a wooden TTK to help with pinching those two 20 ks.  This should hopefully be better then the grippers and save a lot of money in the process.  More is said on this in the thread 'Pinch Training'.  

Anyone got any names for it???????

All will be considered.