Inch Clean And Press

Brad Prov

i'll do you all a favour for those that wanna know, if frank can truly set up a meeting for ryan, jamie and myself, i'll ask ryan and jamie what their routines are like.

even though jamie wasn't in that vid... i wouldn't be surprised if he did the feat himself, seeing as his hands are much more massive than ryans, takes pride in his grip, and has extremely strong shoulders as well.

stay strong grip freaks!! :rock

• Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Tom of Iowa2

• Sybersnott

• Darco

• Brad Prov

I don't think Snott was being insulting, I just think he was annoyed it wasn't him that did it! :D .

I think Jedd's wrong too, I don't think there are "lots of strongmen" who could do it, but I do think there are people who might have a chance if they were given the opportuity. Just from the UK I'd like to see Glenn Ross, Eddie Ellwood and Andy Raines give it a try, all three are AMAZING static lifters and pressers, although Andy Raines will probably have tiny hands being only 5'4".

And if Jamie can do it as well???? :bow

I can already see the vein in Syber's forehead throbbing! :yikes:whistel:calm

Hey Tom, that little fella crack hurts my feelings. :cry I know I am not up to 375lbs yet like Ryan is but I am working on it, just think he's got 6 years on me. :D You will be glad to know that I am concentrating 100% on strongman training now so I should have some good video as well soon. :rock

I all depends on the weight....Sand Bag is akward and harder but visually speaking it sucks pretty bad. People are the best things to press over head, much more impressive than barbells, people heavier than yourself even better !

Edited by Darco

I don't know what Ryan does for grip training, but I know his grip was crazy strong from when he was a kid.....

I've never seen the inch in my life, and I lifted it left and right no chalk, with the right being especially easy. This is not amazing considering years of thick bar training and the gentics for a large palm.

Ryans palm is bigger, and I would venture he trains thick bar events harder than most. His drive and dedication to training are impressive from what I've heard, but its probably awsome genetics that give him this ability.

PS Also remember that Hugo has been documented C+P the inch as well.

I've never seen the inch in my life, and I lifted it left and right no chalk, with the right being especially easy. This is not amazing considering years of thick bar training and the gentics for a large palm.

Brad,

You da man!! :bow That's crazy!!... first time I saw the Inch - all I could do was spin the sucker on the floor! :blink Of course, I didn't even think about training thick bar back then like I do now. Ryan's feat and the way he did it was oh so impressive... especially the overhead press! :rock

I look forward to learning a lot more about you and Ryan in the near future! :happy

Sorry man, just seems like you are calling this elite thick bar athlete a liar, when in fact he just walked up and dominated something that most of us will train years for before we can get it.

..... I get upset when people question feats on video.  the guy dominated the inch and should not be harrassed like it seems to me you are doing.

Jedd,

I am not calling anyone a liar or a cheat! Ryan did it AND he did it on video, so the proof is there - no one can deny that.

And yes, there are strength athletes that can LIFT the Inch, but can they do what Ryan did? Kaz had to leg-kick it up; Mark Henry pushed pressed it up - I WAS THERE at the AOBS and it nearly knocked him backwards upon the clean to his shoulder!

99% of us haven't heard of Ryan before this... that's what I'm saying. :dry

If you haven't heard of him, you must not follow strongman very closely. Ryan has been around. I competed with him back in early 2002 and he was already good then, and people were hyping him up then; he won the heavyweight division at that contest in Columbus, OH. Since then I've seen numerous mentions of him in connection with strongman and the Canadian team.

This is not like someone coming out of the woodwork and closing the #4. First, as I said, Ryan is not an unknown. Second, as Jedd said, I'm quite sure there are tons of pro strongmen that could easily press the Inch. Phil is a great stongman, but he is by no means one of the top pressers out there. Cleaning it likely the more challenging part for most huge guys, although I suspect plenty of people could do it.

The Inch DB is impressive, but it is relatively rare and very expensive so only a small fraction of people even get to try it, much less train with it. Thanks to a good friend, I believe I will soon have the opportunity to have one to train with on a regular basis in about 3 weeks. I'm looking forward to seeing what I can do with it. I hope to at least get to where I can high pull it, if not clean it. Pressing is not my forte, but one can dream... I find Ryan's video very educational and inspirational.

If you accept the idea that Strongman nowadays is a little skewed towards "light/speed" events, then it is quite possible that many of the Strongmen best "suited" to the Inch Clean & Press are NOT the top guys.

Just a thought.

If you accept the idea that Strongman nowadays is a little skewed towards "light/speed" events, then it is quite possible that many of the Strongmen best "suited" to the Inch Clean & Press are NOT the top guys.

Just a thought.

That assumption is not correct. The stuff they are using in comps now make stuff they used in years past look like childs play. Ams are now using 300 plus lb farmers implements in contests, 700 lb 2" below parallel squat for reps, 675 deadlifts, etc., etc. The bar is getting raised higher and higher.

The Inch is not heavy enough to make this an issue. The top guys are now pressing 400 plus lb 12" logs for max and pressing 300 lb axles for 15 plus reps. If you can do that, I don't think a 173 lb db is going to stop you.

That assumption is not correct.  The stuff they are using in comps now make stuff they used in years past look like childs play.  Ams are now using 300 plus lb farmers implements in contests, 700 lb 2" below parallel squat for reps, 675 deadlifts, etc., etc.  The bar is getting raised higher and higher.

The Inch is not heavy enough to make this an issue.  The top guys are now pressing 400 plus lb 12" logs for max and pressing 300 lb axles for 15 plus reps.  If you can do that, I don't think a 173 lb db is going to stop you.

Well i see your point.But it takes a special kind of grip to clean the INCH.IMHO,As you generate the speed needed to shoulder it the hand strength required to 'hold on'will increase because of this velocity.Also?you gotta have some kind of wrist...and grip comes into play...to press it.This isn't like a 2 inch axle at all.You have to stabilize and balance that mother.Even cleaning and pressing a heavy dumbell will take most(obviously not Green)some practice and more than just a good log press....to complete.

Schoonveld is one of those great strongman pressers(with a very good grip) and he CAN press a 400# log/do 15 reps with a 300# axle and he can't clean and press the INCH(from what I have been told...by people that watched him play with the INCH)

Schoony can deadlift the INCH....but doesn't just "manhandle" it like Green did. Yet Schoony can probably out press Green on the axle or the log?(don't know for sure)

I agree there are lots of guys that MIGHT be able to clean and press it but as The Mac said it might not be one of the top guys...or it might not be one of the guys that we generally DON'T think of...as a great presser.

A few very good Pressers in the pro ranks come to mind.Goggola,Anderson and Phillipi.....I have a hard time imagining that any of them can deadlift the INCh....much less clean it?

When Pfister(actually a deceptively good presser)kicked it up and push pressed it?THAT was an amazing feat -at the time......even Marc Henry was unable to do this feat...at THAT time.

I could be wrong...but I think Goggola,Anderson.Phillipi have all been around the INCH..at one time or another and not done 'anything' with it.

No disrespect intended towards them...but perhaps they lack that VERY good grip that Green has.

I suspect others CAN do it....but not as many as might be presumed.Green-for now-DA MAN. :bow

IMHO :cool

Edited by Tom of Iowa2

The Mac said it might not be one of the top guys...or it might not be one of the guys that we generally DON'T think of...as a great presser.

errrr!? :dry darn it

Should read:

"it might be one of the guys that we generally DON'T think of....... as a great presser"

(that is able to clean and press the INCH)

Edited by Tom of Iowa2